PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Bulwer and Cape Moreton

Zippidy
24-04-2013, 02:00 PM
Hello All,

Heading for an overnighter after work with a few mates.

Our plan is to head over to Bulwer and anchor up for the night. The reason we're going here is because we've caught fish here before and it's just a little bit safer being close to land when it's dark.

When the sun comes up, we're going to head around the cape and troll From Smith's and head south for a couple of laps.

Does anyone have any hints on fishing Bulwer or trolling around Moreton? We're not professional fisherman and only know the basics, however we're pretty well equipped, I think.

Will the weather hold out?

Should we just bottom bash with Squid & Pillies?

Jeremy
24-04-2013, 03:59 PM
I often fish Bulwer late arvo, camp over and then head around the Cape the next morning. As long there is some East in the Wind, Bulwer is a lovely place to camp and fish. There is good ground right along the Western Edge of Moreton from North of Bulwer to South of Cowan and beyond. Look for some hard ground along the dropoff and concentrate on the tide changes. I would try to get some better bait than squid and pillies - soft baits come off too easily to the pickers. You need bait that will survive the pickers long enough for a good fish to take it. See if you can jig up some livies or cast net some mullet to take.

Mr Squiggles
24-04-2013, 05:56 PM
Fillet a few Whiptails (you'll catch plenty) into an oval shape & place them on an 8/0 in a spoon shape & drift around about a K Sth of Bulwer & out level with the artificial. Doesn't work all the time but there's some good Snapper in that area,
Lotsa Luck
Steve