PDA

View Full Version : Haven't started motor for 16 months

Mickanddeb
23-04-2013, 07:24 PM
Due to work commitments I haven't been able to even start my mercury 70 Hp motor. is there anything I should do before turning it over?

Blackened
23-04-2013, 07:35 PM
G'day

Fresh fuel and oil (if 2 stroke) drain the carby bowls (if it's carbied) and pump fresh fuel in, check there's no buildup of anything blocking the telltale, water passages etc, give it a good visual check over under the cowl and externally, make sure the battery is charged.
I'm sure others will add more.

Dave

Spin
23-04-2013, 07:54 PM
Did you run it out of fuel or leave fuel in it
Because the fuel 2 stroke oil if left in the carbies drys out and clogs the jets
you should take the cover off try starting it
And make sure it is not pumping fuel out of the carbies the needle and seats may be stuck
If this is the case it might catch on Fire
Try starting it and see what happens?

Moonlighter
23-04-2013, 08:25 PM
I would also definitely change the water pump impeller. They dry out and go hard when not used for a long time like that. It might pump water when you start it up, but for how long - i would not risk it and would replace.

I agree re the other earlier comments - fresh fuel is a definite. Don't even think of using the existing fuel in the tank after that length of time.

If 2 stroke and oil injected, i would not worry about fresh oil, as i don't believe the oil goes "off" like petrol does. Just top the reservoir up.

Cheers