PDA

View Full Version : To tow or not to tow

Mickanddeb
22-04-2013, 06:27 AM
I need to bring my 5.4m mustang tournament from Melbourne to the Gold Coast and was wondering whether to tow it or transport it. If transporting is recommended does anyone have any contacts? Thanks mick

mustang5
22-04-2013, 11:31 AM
Mate id tow it if your bringing the car up anyways?

Just take some spare wheel bearings.

FisHard
22-04-2013, 05:29 PM
Melb-Bris is not a backloading leg, so it would be relatively expensive to transport. If you go via road, avoid the Newell hwy (its too rough) and go via Sydney on the Hume and Pacific.

hilta1
22-04-2013, 05:44 PM
Mate i have towed my boats from Tassie to sunshine coast for the last 3 or 4 winters one boat was 6mtr glass boat and the other is a kevlacat 2400, the 6 mtr is a breeze to tow, i go straight up the Newell and into Brisbane, i find it better than going the Hume as doesnt seem to be as much slow traffic. Make sure your trailer is up to it, ie Bearings done brakes working etc i also have my trailer tyres filled with TRU BLUE stuff so punctures dont become a problem, I drive for a living so dont find it a hassle, i think you would be surprised as to cost of freight to get your boat there. Regards Mark

Mr__Bean
22-04-2013, 08:13 PM
Towed the boat and a very heavily loaded tandem with machine tools from Melb to Brisbane.

If I had the choice again, I would tow again.

Tyre and wheel bearing condition are your maintenance checks, along with suitable spares.

Carrying a ready to install disc/hub is the way to go I reckon, and they are relatively cheap to have ready.

I have been on the Sydney and the Newell runs, I too would stick with the Newell.

And I prefer to travel at night with the trucks, they are sooooooo much more predictable than the daylight drivers and the grey beard caravan towing snails.

Darren

Mickanddeb
22-04-2013, 08:47 PM
Towing it is. Thanks very much for the advice

cro142
22-04-2013, 09:01 PM
I would definitely tow the boat.
In the last 12 months I have made 4 Brisbane to Melbourne return trips towing a 5.5m boat, with either a Landcruiser or a Falcon ute.
I had no problems at all. You will find trucking to be prohibitively expensive, and a hassle.

Comprehensive preparation is the key to an uneventful trip.
I agree stongly with others above that your trailer must be in top condition with new bearings if they have not been done for a while.
Also, if the tyres are old (6-7 years plus I would replace them (as I did) because "old" tyres that have been sitting for a long period are subject to failure on a long trip, due to delamination and blow-out. Trailer tyres will rarely wear out the tread, so that's not a good indicator of condition.

The Newell Highway is presently in the best condition it's been in years - I travelled it 2 weeks ago.
The Hume is good, and the Pacific is good where its good, but horrendous where it's not. The endless small townss, frustrating slow traffic, rough roads that are no better than a goat track make the Pacific a drag. It's getting better by the year, but it's not there yet.
The New England is OK if a bit hilly, but the section around Maitland to Muswellbrook is equally slow and frustrating. The small towns and slow traffic go on forever.

I have towed on all 3 routes lately, and would choose the Newell for an easy-cruising trip.

No matter what the preparation, there is always something that can come out of left field.
Yesterday I was in my shed when I heard a whooshing noise outside. Thinking that my hose had blown off the tap, I went out to turn it off. But no, the tap was OK.
My boat was was parked nearby and it was obvious that a tyre was going down very quickly. Closer examination revealed that the valve stem had split, and the tyre was deflating rapidly. This valve stem was only 12 months old, having been replaced when I fitted new tyres.
All this with the boat just parked in the back yard, with no real trigger!! What a one-in-a-million chance.

If this had happened on the road, a blow-out would have most likely occurred. So, you never can tell.

Nonetheless, I would tow your boat after thorough prep.
Also the above poster is right about the trucks - they are much more predictable than Mum and the kids in small towns.

Peter C

Argle
23-04-2013, 09:03 AM
Second the call on the Newell - I drove down to Canberra and back in January and found it to be in the best condition I have ever seen! Its not the most scenic but you can really chew the miles up as the stops are further apart. It actually worked quite well as i found there was a town to stop on average every two hours for a quick break and then back on the road.

Cheers

FisHard
23-04-2013, 06:08 PM
Very interested to hear so much positive remarks on the Newell. I haven't been down it for a couple of years and remember it to be really crappy. Good top know its improved so much. I travel the Pacicic 1 or 2 trips a week and gave done so for nearly 20 years. Almost regardless of what time you leave Brisbane, its a painfull trip till you get to the new Kempsey bypass. You're pretty right from there. Heading north, I like to leave Sydney between 11am and 1pm. Usually a good run ahead of you with having to drive all night. I can do Botany to our depot at Springwood in just over 10 hrs of driving now, assuming a good run out of Sydney. That's in a 100 kph speed limited furniture pantec.

The Shafter
23-04-2013, 07:11 PM
I've towed many large boats long distances over the years with no drama, until now. Just travelled 1800km picking up a new boat. Upon arrival home noticed small cracks on transom.??? Been told by professional that it will need fixing.

9 out 10 times fine. Slight chance things can go wrong.
It'll make me think twice if I ever have travel long distances again.
Good luck with your journey and safe travels.

Mickanddeb
23-04-2013, 07:19 PM
Thanks so much to everyone. Our problem is that we need to bring our furniture as well so were going to hire a truck - just found out no tow ball allowed. We have some options but are now thinking we sell the boat here and but another in Gold Coast. We have some thinking to do that's of sure. Again, thanks to everyone for the good advice