PDA

View Full Version : What are people's thoughts re south passage bar.

notenoughsickies
21-04-2013, 12:49 PM
Hey local fishos out there I have scored this Friday off and the weather is looking prime for an offshore trip. I usually use the north channel of south passage. I noticed a while back a few of you chatting about it getting shallow. Friday low is at 2 pm so for safety's sake thought I would pose the question . I have never used the amity side . Any advice would be great.

madmackrel
21-04-2013, 01:02 PM
Was out yesterday and crossed the northern channel around 5.30 am ...high was at 4am. Came back around 1.30 and the northern channel was a little iffy so we came back through the middle channel without a problem. If I get a chance I'll get some marks off the gps unless someone else has them handy.

Aussie123
21-04-2013, 01:09 PM
The Amity channel is not a problem when coming back in on any tide conditions.Also the Amity end is quite protected from any swells from the SSE to Southerly,far better than the Northern channel.
Going out on a swell with any South in it is ok up to about 1.5m with some care but you really need to watch it though once it gets any East to Northerly swell on it.
We rarely go out through the channel,we pick the best area to cross on the day as it is different every time we go over it.
2 days ago we crossed about 200m south of the channel and it was perfect while the outer bank on the main channel had some quite large waves standing up out there.
Later next week will be perfect to cross if the forecasts stay the same as it is predicted atm.

notenoughsickies
21-04-2013, 01:45 PM
Thanks guys very detailed advice cheers if you have time those channel marks would give us some piece of mind. But as mentioned will have to assess on the day