PDA

View Full Version : Ally Catamaran or Glass Catamaran

Pacificbanana
21-04-2013, 09:46 AM
Hi All,
Ive decided to buy a cat.
It has to have a minimum length of 7.5 metres and top 9 metre.
Im not sure whether to get an aluminium or glass.
Are there any benefits over each.
Is the ally one too noisy with all the tunnel slap from the water or would it be ok with a foam filled hull for noise reduction??
I dont want a debate on ally mono hulls here against glass.
Just about the CATS.
Also have been looking at Noosacat, which is my first choice atm, Kevlacat last choice as expensive for not many options included in base price, Powercat seems like everything included for one price and reasonable, Sailfish Cats, thats what ive been looking at in alloy boats.
If there are any other alloy builders out there please let me know except for the Dominator it would be appreciated.
Thanks
PB

Tumbo59
21-04-2013, 10:15 AM
Seatamer http://http://www.seatamer.com.au/seacat7.html and Offshore Marine Master (Jatcat) http://http://offshoremarinemaster.com.au/jaycats.html make alloy cats but the later is a long way from you.

Marlin Broadbill in Sydney used to make alloy cats too but no longer have a web site up and running?

I think these days that there is not much difference between alloy or glass boats, just personal preference and maybe how each type can be fitted out.

Back In Black
21-04-2013, 03:42 PM
PB, I've got an 8.4m Sailfish. They are foam filled so there is not much tunnel slap noise.

Are you going to trailer it? If so, the big glass cats would be too heavy I'd think??

Tony

Lancair
21-04-2013, 05:02 PM
www.seatamer.com.au/seacat7.html (http://www.seatamer.com.au/seacat7.html)

http://offshoremarinemaster.com.au/jaycats.html

Just fixed those links.

snapperdan
21-04-2013, 05:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WS1JbngzMA

SatNav
21-04-2013, 07:02 PM
1. I just luv videos, videos are just great ... but where were the 6 to 8 foot seas, no 6 to 8 foot seas in any of that, Americian claim no doubt?

2. Please explain!

johncar
21-04-2013, 07:26 PM
Well I like both Ally and Glass and I feel confident that you can spec an Ally boat up to be as quiet but possibly still with a slight weight advantage with Glass but I doubt if there would be much in it.
Not knowing whether you intend to trailer it but if not try and get some decent beam in the boat and keep it as low a profile as practical if you want a good sea boat. I have traveled in and skippered a few in less than favorable conditions and the skinny ones have been a bit scary particularly with all the hard top, life raft and other stuff put up there. One of my favorites and loved heading out to sea in even in proper 2 - 3 metre seas was a Noosa Cat 9 metre model. Can't remember exact model details but it was nice and beamy, nice through the turns and ate up the ocean. If I had the cash to own and run one I would certainly be tempted. Same configuration in Ally should be just as good or better.

PB
22-04-2013, 09:31 AM
If your looking at new. Id be going custom alloy, get exactly what you want at a price that would be very competitive to the off the shelf production boats. Been on plenty off plate alloy boats that are quieter and ride better than some well known glass boats. just need to remember there are no molds to limit your options with plate alloy.

Noelm
23-04-2013, 08:28 AM
Had both (though not an alloy cat in that size, 6m was the biggest) and I would not have another alloy cat myself (my opinion only) glass everytime for me when it comes to cats.

John Buoy
23-04-2013, 06:49 PM
Had both (though not an alloy cat in that size, 6m was the biggest) and I would not have another alloy cat myself (my opinion only) glass everytime for me when it comes to cats.
Ditto for me have had a few from 16-25' in alloy and glass and glass all the way for me !!

CATchin'Em
27-04-2013, 10:04 AM
Been a quite a few of both glass everytime

Pacificbanana
03-10-2013, 06:46 PM
Deleted text

Greg P
03-10-2013, 07:20 PM
Coastal Cat and Seatrek should be on your list. Both have really good wraps locally.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?154419-Sea-Trek-Marine-5900-Supersport-Cat&highlight=seatrek

rexaway123
03-10-2013, 09:23 PM
Well I built a Noosa cat custom to order from Wayne last year. Only all positive experience and every detail u want as being built. Visited 3 times then trucked to Sydney. Best bit is no dealer middle man so 20 k plus cheaper than your friends at inveloch and the factory happy to sell direct

rexaway123
03-10-2013, 09:25 PM
U can fly to Noosa for day they happy to give u no obligation tour of factory and u can see everything going on

rexaway123
03-10-2013, 09:34 PM
Out of interest what didn't u like about the sailfish cause I looked at them too ??
Did Ashley take u outside Botany Bay for a run and no good??

Shark Poker
04-10-2013, 05:24 AM
I heard yesterday that Kevlacat has been bought and will be up and running again.
Pauly

perko
04-10-2013, 06:35 AM
Hope that is true about kevlacat. There is getting less choice these days, especially if you want something a bit customised. After having both kevlacats and sailfish cats I think I would prefer glass next time. I like the noosa cat 2400 with the hardtop and glass screens. Looks great. Do noosa cats have wood in their construction?

rexaway123
04-10-2013, 07:06 AM
no wood all fiberglass think they took out more than 10 yrs ago...i have my build photos from last year from step 1 of hull layup to final inspection

Blackmatrix
10-10-2013, 08:06 AM
Just wonder which one u decide to buy ? i'm currently looking at sailfish and hydrofield ..but i'm leaning toward the hydrofield

Back In Black
10-10-2013, 10:07 AM
Blackmatrix, where are you based mate?? I'm out of Noosa & you are more than welcome to come for a run in mine anytime.

Tony

hilta1
10-10-2013, 11:00 AM
Hey tony, Banana might like to come to!!

Jarrah Jack
10-10-2013, 11:54 AM
Banana's are supposed to be bad luck.

solemandownunder
10-10-2013, 12:37 PM
If your looking at new. Id be going custom alloy, get exactly what you want at a price that would be very competitive to the off the shelf production boats. Been on plenty off plate alloy boats that are quieter and ride better than some well known glass boats. just need to remember there are no molds to limit your options with plate alloy.

Ausfish Bronze Member

PB's Avatar Join Date
Sep 2010
Post Thanks / Like

Is it just ME :-?:o::);)8-)

solemandownunder
10-10-2013, 12:38 PM
Ausfish New Member

Add as Friend Add as Friend
Send Private Message Send Private Message
Add to Ignore List Add to Ignore List
Find all posts Find all posts
Find all started threads Find all started threads
View Blog Entries
Join Date 23-06-2010
Last Activity Today 09:44 AM

8-)

cobiaman
10-10-2013, 12:45 PM
Huh?????????

solemandownunder
10-10-2013, 12:47 PM
Huh?????????

Dont worry bout it CM...you MAY get it in time :P...but then again...maybe NOT ;D

cobiaman
10-10-2013, 12:50 PM
I GET it, im just curious to see where you are going with this....

solemandownunder
10-10-2013, 12:52 PM
I GET it, im just curious to see where you are going with this....

Good...and I am just as curious at to where YOU are going with this.....8-)

Bull
10-10-2013, 12:54 PM
Can you explain it to me then I'm kinda at a loss.
I don't have to go back and read all the posts do I ??

solemandownunder
10-10-2013, 12:57 PM
Bull...just connect the dots M8...hint...joined 2010 ;)

FisHard
10-10-2013, 01:04 PM
Like the clock says : Coockoo Coockoo!

Belly66
11-10-2013, 12:14 PM
Dont worry bout it CM...you MAY get it in time :P...but then again...maybe NOT ;D

Sorry dude, I dont get it either,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Back In Black
11-10-2013, 12:45 PM
Hey tony, Banana might like to come to!!

Tempted to do a fish off the shelf that day!!

Tony

thelump
11-10-2013, 02:01 PM
Can you explain it to me then I'm kinda at a loss.
I don't have to go back and read all the posts do I ??

Bull I think he is trying to say that member PB and Member Pacific banana are the same peoples. Kinda Like Muddy Toes and Muddy Feet I guess!

solemandownunder
11-10-2013, 03:08 PM
Tempted to do a fish off the shelf that day!!

Tony

Is satnav going as well :P;D8-)

Noelm
11-10-2013, 04:47 PM
Well...., I just re-read it again, and I have no idea what it all means, but then,
I am from NSW.

Back In Black
11-10-2013, 06:04 PM
Is satnav going as well :P;D8-)

I reckon you blokes would even tip in for fuel if I took him!!

Tony

Shark Poker
11-10-2013, 06:12 PM
Well then I am satnav. So can I come fishing with you? Please!

Back In Black
11-10-2013, 06:28 PM
Well then I am satnav. So can I come fishing with you? Please!

Always welcome Pauly!!

Blackmatrix
18-10-2013, 09:53 PM
sorry tony for the late reply been busy with works...yeh i base in sydney and been looking at the sailfish cat at webbe marine but for the size that i want it cost alot of $$$$ hehe so which boat are u having the 6.6 hydrofield or the sailfish cat ?

Back In Black
19-10-2013, 07:56 AM
BM, never even looked at a Hydrofield. Love my Sailfish too much!! You are right, they are not a cheap boat, but I reckon you only get what you pay for.

Now all I need is for the damn northerlies to stop blowing,& give us some good weather to go for a fish. My boat hasn't been wet for 5 weeks now, & I'm getting edgy!!

Tony

SunnyCoastMark
19-10-2013, 08:06 AM
BM, never even looked at a Hydrofield. Love my Sailfish too much!! You are right, they are not a cheap boat, but I reckon you only get what you pay for.

Now all I need is for the damn northerlies to stop blowing,& give us some good weather to go for a fish. My boat hasn't been wet for 5 weeks now, & I'm getting edgy!!

Tony

Sorry Tony, that would be my fault. I finally got the Trojan on the water - and it hasn't stopped blowing since!

Mark

TREVELLY
19-10-2013, 08:14 AM
Sorry Tony, that would be my fault. I finally got the Trojan on the water - and it hasn't stopped blowing since!

Mark

BStarred - I was looking at next Thursday as it was looking great then now it is a wipe-out.

Wondered who was to blame - thanx Mark!! >:(

:););D

Back In Black
19-10-2013, 08:29 AM

Mark

At least I know who to blame Mark!!

bannana
19-10-2013, 09:08 AM
Hey guys,

Not trying to throw a spanner in the works here but a few years ago I was up at 1770 and two trips in a row i came back to see 2 different cats upside down. One was unfortunately a sailfish, I think 8mtr and the other was a coastal cat. Both trips were 5 knot days and I'm pretty sure the 3 guys in the sailfish were rescued by a kid in a 12ft tinny.

Now I have no doubt this was probably skipper error on both occasions but I would have to say it would be near impossible to turtle a 2700 noosacat especially in those conditions.

I have spent hundreds of hrs in 2700 & 3100 noosacats as well as a 3000 kevlacat. I would personally say the noosacats are far safer in big seas and the kevlacat was better riding than the 2700 and similar to the 3100 but has the ability to dig in on big rear quarter following seas unlike the Noosacat.

As far as whats better alloy or glass it would just come down to the set up of each individual boat and layout. I've spent a fair amount of time in 3 different 2700 Noosacats and they all performed totally different from each other.

Anyone who is looking at buying a cat needs to spend a decent amount of time in one so you know what your getting. I personally would never buy a kevlacat again because the one I had was the best riding boat I have ever been in at the time but it was also one of the poorest built with no sealed compartments under the floor whatsoever and it didn't end there. One little hole in the hull and the boat would completely fill up with water from front to back and sink. Where as the Noosacat on the other hand is built incredibly well and you can bet you will get good service from start to finish just as long as you are prepared to pay for it and patient enough to wait for it as well.

I cant wrap Noosacat enough this would always be my pick but if you are told you will get it in 6mths it will almost be double. This isn't because they are slack its because they only do it right and when ever you build a boat and visit the factory they always take time with you and changes are regular and take time.

Last point i would like to make is Noosacat will make anything you want in any configuration out of fibreglass because they can. Just about anything you can build by welding aluminium together you can get built out of fibreglass so when making a decision factor out that the two products mention have any advantages over each other in configuration.

Keith

nathan dumschat
03-11-2013, 08:03 AM
Dont over look the fact that all alloy work hardens. I had a 5.2 metre 1992 cairns custom craft cat that suffered from it on the south eastern side as this was the way the wind was coming from most of the time. Awesome riding boat though would eat anything in its size in a mono but something to keep in mind if planning to keep for many years. A mate had some cracking issues with a sailfish as well. I would be leaning toward Noosa cat or Coastal cat keeping in mind the coastal cat is more commercially orientated so not as pretty as noosa cat but alot cheaper . Coastal cats are based on a semi displacement design and can be run on smaller engines also.

Hope this helps

Nathan

Redhunter
03-11-2013, 08:53 AM
Out of curiosity guys, whats the lowest planning speed that cats, can do?

steve

Smithy
04-11-2013, 06:13 PM
Steve,

many cats have no planing hump like monos so just run them where you want on the throttles. If is really rough you do cop a fair jarring in the tunnel but you'd be getting smashed in a mono as well.

bannana
04-11-2013, 06:51 PM
Out of curiosity guys, whats the lowest planning speed that cats, can do?

steve

Mine's pretty ordinary Steve and not a boat to high speed troll thats for sure. It needs 15 knotts when loaded to get up on the plane but on the bright side it cruises at 30-35 knotts, tops out at 48 knotts fully loaded and can sit above 30 knotts in just about any conditions other than a big head sea (20knotts +).

Mate cats love and need to be driven hard to get the best out of them.

FisHard
05-11-2013, 12:15 AM
I saw that big sailfish that went over at 1770 few years ago. It was a complete glass out and we were doing full noise offshore in my 5m boat. Dunno what could have possibly happened to flip ANY boat that day!

Smithy
05-11-2013, 01:55 PM
They tried to out-run a little curler on the bar by running around the lip instead of taking it on.

SnapHead101
10-11-2013, 01:26 PM
I had a 2006 9 metre Sailfish cat. It was noisy whilst trying to sleep in it, but had little insulation. It's handling was exceptionally uncomfortable in the seas off Mackay until I put a hysucat designed hydrofoil on it. Despite all this it was very safe. I came in from the reef having being caught out in 3 to 4 metre seas (they were breaking in 40 metres of water) and made it in safely but with a sore neck from all the banging. I've been out in 1.5 metre seas off Mackay in a Kevlacat 3000 which is a lot shorter than the Sailfish, but it is much more comfortable however still couldn't handle a headsea . Looking at a Sailfish hull, the deadrise is much less than the Kevlacat. I feel the sharper entry of the Kevlacat makes it more comfortable.