PDA

View Full Version : rewire of boat, need someone

lucee81
20-04-2013, 05:24 PM
About 12 months ago i did a complete rewire of my boat however apparently my skills are not as good as others and i need to get it tided up,
some issues im having
Sonic hub works when it feels like it, normally sitting in the driveway or on way home
2 x HDS stopped talking to each other, suspect faulty ethernet cable (will try to buy one at boaties market and replace)
under gunnel lights need replacing (dont buy ebay ones)
check vhf, comes through unclear, less than 2 years old (may have warranty)
plumb deck wash properly instead of hose over the side (never had the guts to drill a hole in the boat)
also its a bow rider and where the driver sits there is a rib the keeps cracking the welds its the only welds in the boat to crack, had it welded about 3 times and keeps cracking, is this a big issue?

cheers
and smart ass comments welcome but expect retribution

juggernaut
20-04-2013, 06:08 PM
Totally unrelated......but judging by your avatar ........I hope you have a big boat.:o

burleygu
20-04-2013, 06:10 PM
no no he has a small boat but a big lap :X

Gon Fishun
20-04-2013, 06:14 PM
Sounds like you and MT need to communicate better and do a deal with a sparky.
Finga said you guys are good doing deals.

lucee81
20-04-2013, 06:23 PM
not one bit of helpful information but i expected nothing less for the first 10 posts.
communicate with muddy? i dont need to know how to cook rice....or eat it with chop sticks...

Mossy247
20-04-2013, 06:24 PM
Dodgy brothers elercto finally pack it in? Bud I have a spare Cat5 cable for you if you need one to link the sounders. I can also show you the under gunnel lights to mate, I got mine from bias boating in strips, put the strips in clear tube from the hardware and she's apples with heat shrink and that liquid electrical tape. I wouldn't be much help with the radio and stuff but could be signal reflection but am stabbing in the dark there. Let me know how you go and avoid using old extension leads bro :-p

lucee81
20-04-2013, 06:36 PM
Dodgy brothers elercto finally pack it in? Bud I have a spare Cat5 cable for you if you need one to link the sounders. I can also show you the under gunnel lights to mate, I got mine from bias boating in strips, put the strips in clear tube from the hardware and she's apples with heat shrink and that liquid electrical tape. I wouldn't be much help with the radio and stuff but could be signal reflection but am stabbing in the dark there. Let me know how you go and avoid using old extension leads bro :-p

okay dodgy brothers elec did it right this time using 4mm and 6mm twin core tinned wire heat shrink terminals all the bells and whistles except its not pretty, i believe the problem to be with NMEA2000 system for the sonic hub, the lights well lets just say i brought 10mts for about $10.00
not sure what you mean by a cat3 cable but if it has the right terminals i will take it.
stab in the dark all you want but how do i fix signal reflection? what is signal reflection...

Mossy247
20-04-2013, 06:44 PM
The cable to link the sounders I should have. Hmmmmm not sure about the radio was thinking to do with positioning and signal strength as it gets bounced around? Or not sure really. Lighting and linking sounders I can help. But how unpretty was this wiring if you used the right gear? Was it not pretty enough Casey Chambers not pretty enough? hhhhmmmm lights explained there dodgy strips. Your going to need help with the sonic shit though.

Gon Fishun
20-04-2013, 07:01 PM
not one bit of helpful information but i expected nothing less for the first 10 posts.
communicate with muddy? i dont need to know how to cook rice....or eat it with chop sticks...

Mate we have a fantastic auto elecy up here, mobile to, loves fishing boats etc but I didn't recommend him as for the travelling distance.
Cheers.
PS. Is MT got the grumps? Gotta stay home and cook rice? ;D

Muddy Toes
20-04-2013, 07:09 PM
Just don't like the idea of joining forces with a dune coon, that's all........

cobiaman
20-04-2013, 07:11 PM
Just don't like the idea of joining forces with a dune coon, that's all........

Hahahaha, racist AND funny...

lucee81
20-04-2013, 07:20 PM

sand nigger
dune coon
towel head
suicide bomber
been called it all, be hard for you to be original.

lucee81
20-04-2013, 07:23 PM
The cable to link the sounders I should have. Hmmmmm not sure about the radio was thinking to do with positioning and signal strength as it gets bounced around? Or not sure really. Lighting and linking sounders I can help. But how unpretty was this wiring if you used the right gear? Was it not pretty enough Casey Chambers not pretty enough? hhhhmmmm lights explained there dodgy strips. Your going to need help with the sonic shit though.

more marylin manson not pretty, ran 2 x buss bars 1 neg 1 pos but lots of wires coming out and need to organise them better.
how much for the cable, and im assuming its for Lowrance

juggernaut
20-04-2013, 07:23 PM
no no he has a small boat but a big lap :X

They all have big laps......which one is lucee81;D

netmaker
20-04-2013, 07:32 PM
sand nigger
dune coon
towel head
suicide bomber
been called it all, be hard for you to be original.

How could you miss classics like raghead and camel jockey?

Boat hog 2
20-04-2013, 07:32 PM
They all have big laps......which one is lucee81;D

Why? you thinking of jumping on for a ride big fella

Muddy Toes
20-04-2013, 07:45 PM

How was that...............used it within the first week!!!!

juggernaut
20-04-2013, 07:59 PM
Why? you thinking of jumping on for a ride big fella

Too much swell....I'd get sea sick ;D

Boat Hog
20-04-2013, 08:47 PM
:stop: You've already done enough damage Lucas.

Just drop it round to Grand Marlins with a blank check and a Carton of Boags Premium. ::D

lucee81
20-04-2013, 09:27 PM
:stop: You've already done enough damage Lucas.

Just drop it round to Grand Marlins with a blank check and a Carton of Boags Premium. ::D

grand marlin ain't in business at the moment hes the man that sold me the stuff hence my own awesome hook up.

lucee81
20-04-2013, 09:28 PM
however i may have to steal this gd marine service idea. and before the next m&g as i should be there as i will be home that week.

lucee81
20-04-2013, 09:28 PM
and what did i tell ya at least 10 posts before any useful information

cobiaman
21-04-2013, 12:28 AM
and what did i tell ya at least 10 posts before any useful information

Want me to come and have a go? Clearly i cant do worse than you have...

Boat Hog
21-04-2013, 07:09 AM
Want me to come and have a go? Clearly i cant do worse than you have...

There you go - problem solved. cobiaman will do it for just the Carton of Boags!

juggernaut
21-04-2013, 10:55 AM
About 12 months ago i did a complete rewire of my boat however apparently my skills are not as good as others and i need to get it tided up,
some issues im having

OK now the formalities are over......what concerns me is that last May you were giving me rewiring advice. ;D

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?184740-Wiring-Questions&p=1385342#post1385342

Lucky I didn't follow it. ;)

Sonic hub works when it feels like it, normally sitting in the driveway or on way home

Sorry can't help you there apart from checking all connections for contact and they are not corroded.

2 x HDS stopped talking to each other, suspect faulty ethernet cable (will try to buy one at boaties market and replace)

Its a Lowrance...what did you expect. 8-)

under gunnel lights need replacing (dont buy ebay ones)

Yep. Repurchase better quality and reinstal....no biggie.....you've done this before.

check vhf, comes through unclear, less than 2 years old (may have warranty)

OK possibly warranty here once you've ruled interference. Initially I would switch everything off and run a makeshift pos and neg direct to battery and see what you get then.

If still muffled and one of your lady friends in your avatar is not using it as a G-string then see if your warranty is still good. Otherwise repurchase a new one (VHF that is ;D).

plumb deck wash properly instead of hose over the side (never had the guts to drill a hole in the boat)

Have a few beers to calm the nerves.........insert appropriately sized holesaw into drill spray holesaw with Inox, CRC or similar and drill in desired location. Once sober.....plumb and wire up. Again no biggie.

also its a bow rider and where the driver sits there is a rib the keeps cracking the welds its the only welds in the boat to crack, had it welded about 3 times and keeps cracking, is this a big issue?

Without seeing the location possibly reinforce the area with a small triangulated brace and weld the brace in to assist the existing weld points.

and smart ass comments welcome but expect retribution

Puts flame suit on. 8-)

lucee81
21-04-2013, 12:36 PM
Okay the wiring just needs to be tidied all working well except the cheap lights only 1/4 often working not my fault (well it is for buying cheap crap)
The fit up with neatness is the problem and I never have advice about how to make it neat
The hds's aren't speaking to each other has nothing to do with pos/neg wires,
The epr60 would also be a nmea problem not pos/neg
The wash down pump works fine except it just need to be plumed better
The cracked weld is not a fault from my wiring, I know how to wire it up I just don't have the patience to tidy it up and would rather pay someone as I don't have the time anymore either

juggernaut
21-04-2013, 01:41 PM
The hds's aren't speaking to each other has nothing to do with pos/neg wires,
The epr60 would also be a nmea problem not pos/neg
The cracked weld is not a fault from my wiring, I know how to wire it up

Agree with all the above.

I have a new Lowrance starter kit for sale if you need to replace parts of your nmea 2000 backbone as I went with the Garmin starter kit in the end. I thought they were interchangeable but the backbone t connectors are keyed differently so no good when you mount the backbone. PM me if your interested.

I just don't have the patience to tidy it up and would rather pay someone as I don't have the time anymore either

Oh OK
Is Peterbo near to you?

Boat Hog
21-04-2013, 02:17 PM
What is it you want to do Lucas? Do you have wires hanging out and roaming free about the boat?

If so then grab some Loom Tube;

https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?cat=123&item=115022&intAbsolutePage=

You can run it inside your gunnels, underfloor etc and stick it there with dobs of sikaflex. Cables go inside but are still available for fault finding.

But get it from an electrical supplier that doesn't have the word marine in their name and it will be half the price. Just be sure its the "flame retardant, polypropylene copolymer", BCF, Jaycar or Dick Smiths will have it too.

Got lots of excess wires hanging about? If they're not the type you can trim and reconnect yourself (i.e. nmea/Ethernet) then coil or bunch the cables and cable tie them to a fixed point so that they aren't bouncing up and down and putting stress on your connections.

Without knowing the nature of your mess - I can't offer anymore suggestions.

Cheers,

lucee81
21-04-2013, 02:41 PM
okay will include some photos but everything from the batteries to the bus bars is in the wiring loom you speak of and all is okay,
Had a look at the lights and they a buggered i can change these easy enough
now photo 1 and 2 show under the console and you can see the sonic hub and just make out hte 2 bus bars from bus bars to switch panel/electrics is where it gets messy. need someone to tidy this up as im retarded.
pic 3 is of the EPR60 and pic 4 if you look under the VHF you can see the cracked weld its the same on the other side of this rib and the only rib to break in the boat.

lucee81
21-04-2013, 02:44 PM
Agree with all the above.

I have a new Lowrance starter kit for sale if you need to replace parts of your nmea 2000 backbone as I went with the Garmin starter kit in the end. I thought they were interchangeable but the backbone t connectors are keyed differently so no good when you mount the backbone. PM me if your interested.

Oh OK
Is Peterbo near to you?

hmm not sure where peterbo is will send him a pm. thanks
i also have a spare backbone in the shed was cheaper to buy a second starter kit instead of a longer cable by itslef at the time.

Boat Hog
21-04-2013, 02:54 PM
I didn't think you were Italian Lucas ....... that's some real Purdy spaghetti you have there!

Peterbo is here http://www.superiorterminals.com.au/

Boat Hog
21-04-2013, 02:58 PM
Have you tried searching ..... ohh I dunno ... maybe Ausfish! Plenty of threads there on tidying up boat wiring.

Like this one; http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?175069-Searaider-2-Wiring-Tidy-up-amp-Electronics-Hookup-(-Thanks-Grand_Marlin-)&highlight=wiring+boat+tidy

lucee81
21-04-2013, 03:22 PM
See that's what I want.
Think I may have found someone. Will know tomorrow.
Now to find someone that can weld aluminum who has the gear and an idea as its been welded about 3 times already.

madmackrel
21-04-2013, 03:36 PM
Dune coon give me a yell and I'll look at the welding side for you.

lucee81
21-04-2013, 03:53 PM
Dune coon give me a yell and I'll look at the welding side for you.

Done will give you a pm during the week.