PDA

View Full Version : The new baby is coming home!

boboncc
19-04-2013, 10:02 PM
Okay as a newbie with the odd dumb question, I know I have either made some of you cringe or laugh, but I finally bit the bullet and bought my first boat a Signature 530SF .............YeeeeHaaaa!!!!!

I get to pick her up in ten days and then the learning begins, even with my making the odd mistake it should be fun!

Many thanks for those who gave me encouragement and advice ...... you may still get some dumb questions!!! ;D

Cheers!
Bob

Mr__Bean
19-04-2013, 10:08 PM
What a magnificent first boat.

WELL DONE!!!!

And by the way... there are no dumb questions here, just the odd dumb answer. :)

Darren

astro66
19-04-2013, 10:12 PM
awsome first boat mate....got any mates who have boats to show you the ropes ???

Moonlighter
19-04-2013, 10:14 PM
Nice!

You may have seen another topical post on here lately about the white all-round running light. Must be 1 m higher than the red/green nav lights and higher than anyhting else on the boat.

I just cant see it on this boat......just check to see if it is being supplied with one that complies with the regs. Best place on this boat, in fact almost the only suitable place, would be up top on the rocket launcher. Dont let them tell you that a stern light is enough!

Cheers

ML

boboncc
19-04-2013, 10:19 PM
Thanks Darren, I think I am very fortunate to have this as my first boat!

Cheers
Bob

boboncc
19-04-2013, 10:22 PM
Thanks astro66, I was not aware a couple of work mates were into boats, but when I mentioned it to them they both offered to come and show me the ropes on my first few trips. All help welcomed!

Cheers
Bob

boboncc
19-04-2013, 10:28 PM
Thanks Moonlighter, Yeah I read that post, it got me thinking that I will have to check it out. I wander if the regs for NSW would be the same as Queensland?

Cheers
Bob

Gon Fishun
19-04-2013, 10:28 PM
What a magnificent first boat.

WELL DONE!!!!

And by the way... there are no dumb questions here, just the odd dumb answer. :)

Darren

Second that.
Good onya Bob.
Cheers.
Bob.

boboncc
19-04-2013, 10:34 PM
Second that.
Good onya Bob.
Cheers.
Bob.

From one Bob to another .......... thanks!

ozynorts
20-04-2013, 06:53 AM
Well done Bob, that's a nice boat all right. You'll love it.
This thread might just help a little with some of the mistakes that can be made.
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?183907-Mistakes-I-have-made&highlight=mistakes+made
Cheers
Ozy

boboncc
20-04-2013, 07:37 AM
Thanks Ozy I just had a quick read and put it into my "bookmarks" for future reference.
No doubt I will forget the the bungs at least once as it seems to be a common occurance !

Cheers
Bob

LittleSkipper
20-04-2013, 09:32 AM
Nice boat Bob! Haven't done the "forget bungs thing yet"? But have forgotten to remove the outboard brace before launching!

cormorant
20-04-2013, 10:42 AM
Thanks Moonlighter, Yeah I read that post, it got me thinking that I will have to check it out. I wander if the regs for NSW would be the same as Queensland?

Cheers
Bob

Same rules in NSW and enforced as well. Learn the basic rules of when to wear life jackets,lights ,alcohol, capacity of boat as Police and Maritime do enforce them when they are out
You'll have a lot of fun in that boat as they are a great size.
Run through all your safety equipment required and check you have it all..
Read your insurance policy -make sure you comply with their requirements on storage etc - get some security for the trailer , hitch lock , wheel lock so some scum can't knock off your pride and joy especially if it is not stored in a garage.
Take up the offer of your workmates and also go out in tandem with them also so you get more confidence and more fish covering a couple of spots at once.
Join the local VMR and learn to use the radio.
Take a video of your first nervous launch so you can laugh about it in 6 months when it is all old hat and a walk in the park.

boboncc
20-04-2013, 10:47 AM
Thanks LittleSkipper

Cheers
Bob

boboncc
20-04-2013, 10:57 AM
Thanks cormorant

Yeah I just checked the lights requirement, just the same in NSW. I did my licence about 2 months ago, but will review the NSW Boating Handbook again before I take the boat out.
All good points and I intend on carrying them out! The video should give the wife something to raz me about!

Cheers
Bob

thelump
20-04-2013, 08:13 PM
Awesome boat Bob. I like those signatures. You will have a ball mate

boboncc
21-04-2013, 07:17 AM
Thanks Macca I can't wait for this week to go past and then I need some nice weather to have some fun!

Cheers
Bob