PDA

View Full Version : If you're going away for 1 or 2 nights. Fishing & camping. What do u catch and eat?

RZSmokey
17-04-2013, 07:54 PM
Hi guys, just wondering what it is that you plan to catch for a feed when you're overnighting for a night or more and wanna eat what you've caught?

I'm interested in any responses - impoundment, estuary, beach-based etc. Just curious as to what it is you're trying to catch for dinner when camping as opposed to pure 'fun'!

If you can give me an idea of the general area / type of fishing, how you fish for it, what it is you end up eating, and how you like to prepare it, would be great info.

I'm in Central Queensland, but no need to limit answers to this region.

Thanks in advance,

Smokey

Feral
17-04-2013, 08:09 PM
If I'm going to eat something it will be whatever I catch, I dont change targets specifically because I might want to eat it.

snapperdan
17-04-2013, 08:15 PM
If going away i never plan on eating what i catch as i might not catch any. Better to be full than hungry.

Saying that if we get on em we will always have second course.

a bag of limes and some garlic and onions , chilli and fresh coriander and coconut cream always comes on a trip with me to make ceviche/ kokoda. Just dice fish add the rest put in plastic container in the esky and eat the next day

RZSmokey
17-04-2013, 09:00 PM
If I'm going to eat something it will be whatever I catch, I dont change targets specifically because I might want to eat it.

OK, so what do you often end up eating? There's nothing of a legal size that you catch that you won't eat?

RZSmokey
17-04-2013, 09:10 PM
If going away i never plan on eating what i catch as i might not catch any. Better to be full than hungry.

Understand it's definitely better to plan to have to go without, but what are you hoping to catch and eat when you go?

aus2045
18-04-2013, 12:49 PM
Around CQ that would be catfish & stingrays

RZSmokey
18-04-2013, 08:18 PM

LOL... thanks! And we kill them both on site, right?

Nicko_Cairns
18-04-2013, 08:22 PM
very similar to nummus Dan, I do that too sometimes... yummo.

I sometimes take some soy and wasabi in a screw top jar in the esky, put some strips of fish flesh in and have instant sashimi..

Saying that if we get on em we will always have second course.

a bag of limes and some garlic and onions , chilli and fresh coriander and coconut cream always comes on a trip with me to make ceviche/ kokoda. Just dice fish add the rest put in plastic container in the esky and eat the next day

Nicko_Cairns
18-04-2013, 08:24 PM
when you buy scallops that don't have the orange roe sometimes they're actually stingray flaps that have been hole-punched basically, lovely eating the old stingrays if you can be bothered doing the hole punching and removing the skin.

CruiserV8100
18-04-2013, 08:31 PM
I try to catch Mcdonalds before they close and head back to the ramp or camp.

snapperdan
18-04-2013, 09:46 PM
very similar to nummus Dan, I do that too sometimes... yummo.

I sometimes take some soy and wasabi in a screw top jar in the esky, put some strips of fish flesh in and have instant sashimi..

yep. Sometimes i do with coconut cream and sometimes with out. You lucky buggers in QLD with your cast nets add some fresh prawns to it and wow. Scallop as well.

Heaps of good books on ceviche on amazon or book depositary.

Donkeyzmilk
18-04-2013, 11:00 PM
i catch nothing mostly , and i reckon im the best at it

JCVDBloodSport
19-04-2013, 06:00 AM
when you buy scallops that don't have the orange roe sometimes they're actually stingray flaps that have been hole-punched basically, lovely eating the old stingrays if you can be bothered doing the hole punching and removing the skin.

That is a myth trust me ive eaten stingray. There is cartelage in the middle of the flaps. And it taste nothing like scallops.

aus2045
19-04-2013, 06:54 AM
C c c c c c c c c c c c

RZSmokey
19-04-2013, 07:04 PM
You guys are hilarious!

I'm beginning to think, however, that nobody catches any fish to eat... It's OK to just fish for fun and have sausage sandwiches for dinner, but surely somebody goes out camping and says to themselves... "OK, we'll score some flathead in the shallows while collecting some bait, then try for some bigger stuff and see what happens" etc.?

Or not, as the case may be. ;-)

cobiaman
19-04-2013, 08:53 PM
Having been a stingray eater for some time now. ( it's the only fish most central Queenslanders will probably ever catch) I recomend slicing the flaps very thin after you skin them, them smoke them. The come up really well. I've tried smoking catfish but it does not go so well.

Lets all put in $10 for aus2045 so he can go on a charter and learn how to fish....

FishHunter
19-04-2013, 09:19 PM
Bacon and eggs for me

jaymart
20-04-2013, 02:35 PM
Normally take enough meat for one meal when we go camping weather it be hunting or fishing after that it either comes out of the water or paddock.
It's all edible, just how good it taste depends on how you cook it.
Old mate and I always used to pull into the bank on day trips and cook up a feed of fresh fish for lunch which could range anywhere from whole fish and crabs cooked over the coals to all sorts of fried dishes and fish rapped in foil. in one spot where we used to go their was a clay bank , so we rapped the fish in clay and done them straight in the hot coals.
Then we would have a nanny nap and if we caught some more on the way home it was a bonus.
Cheers Martin

jtpython
20-04-2013, 09:54 PM
Aus u really have a bad taste for this region mate , Enuff is enuff come on. There is plenty fish get up and go have a go if you don t do any good it's time out and having fun.
We often take the camp bbq out and cook a feed of freash squid at night or snadwiches crevac there there is no issue with food otherwise there is vinegar that can be used in a mixture known as nano's with capsium or soy and wasabi and a hussar fillet will give u a nice freash sashami . Best of all is chicken and mayo sandwiches . And on special occasions rib fillet burgers are the go. The camp bbq with the gas cans are the go

Aus mate don't bother commenting
JT

warti
22-04-2013, 05:36 AM
I'd like to second JTs comments. I actually pm'd aus the other day of someone to charter with and he is still bagging this region.

Feral
22-04-2013, 06:12 AM
OK, so what do you often end up eating? There's nothing of a legal size that you catch that you won't eat?

Generally I dont eat fish, but I will usually have a feed the first night or two on a trip. As I mostly fish the fresh when I go on trips, the feed is either cod, barra or yella's.