PDA

View Full Version : Best Hydrofoil? Seahunt Triton 188 cc Cavitation on turns!

scrotty
16-04-2013, 07:39 PM
Hey to all, I have a Seahunt Triton 188CC with a Yamaha 115hp 4 stroke. I am getting bad cavitation in the turns and a little under acceleration. The prop is a standard Yamaha Alloy done 30hrs. I thought a hydrofoil may be the answer? Any knowledge or experience would be great? Cheers

BigE
16-04-2013, 08:51 PM
hi Scrotty

No experience with seahunts but Ive had foils on most of my boats and believe they help if your down on power or lift from the prop.
If your on the north side of bris I have a sport 300 and a no drill clip which you can try. I put it on my quinny but it gave my rig to much lift in the rear and made her to broachy for my liking.

PM some contact details if you want to discuss off line .

BigE

mitch_wahoo
17-04-2013, 06:50 AM
Bcf have the sport 200 and 300 on sale for $99 at the moment. I just put one on my 115 merc which is on the back of an Aussie whaler and it has definitely helped lift the bum up a bit.

murf
17-04-2013, 07:26 AM
a foil is the absolute last resort in my opinion, I have a Permatrim for sale, it made my boat very scary in very big following seas if you are not spot on with your trim (I had to bury the nose to stop it from power turning when boat starts surfing going down big waves)

do all the other things first like motor height, prop selection, Solace Prop blades have much more surface area than yours and will hang on better. On some deep V boats you have to trim in on fast turns from optimum speed trim

cheers Murf

scrotty
17-04-2013, 12:01 PM
Hey thanks for the replies guys. Call me stupid! but I cant see how using a hydrofoil to lift the bum of the boat can improve cavitation? Would that not make it worse? Doesn't the prop need to be deeper? Cheers

mustang5
17-04-2013, 12:17 PM
Hey thanks for the replies guys. Call me stupid! but I cant see how using a hydrofoil to lift the bum of the boat can improve cavitation? Would that not make it worse? Doesn't the prop need to be deeper? Cheers

The foil traps the water above the prop hence providing more prop surface to water contact. So I believe.

I would go a prop first mate, as there will be more benefits than you think.

Moonlighter
17-04-2013, 01:42 PM
Get your prop cupped a bit, or better still, get hold of a decent stainless prop, will hang on much better.

djmac
18-04-2013, 09:05 AM
Hi Mate,
I've got the exact same boat as you.
When I imported the boat from the states, It already had a foil attached and I haven't changed it.
It pushes out of the hole nicely and I dont have any cavitation.
heres a pic of the foil.

I really like the baitboard you have setup, if possible could you take a closer pic of it? that's something mines missing!
loving my sea hunt!

Col

scrotty
18-04-2013, 03:55 PM
Hi Mate,
I've got the exact same boat as you.
When I imported the boat from the states, It already had a foil attached and I haven't changed it.
It pushes out of the hole nicely and I dont have any cavitation.
heres a pic of the foil.

I really like the baitboard you have setup, if possible could you take a closer pic of it? that's something mines missing!
loving my sea hunt!

Col

Gday Col, I would like to see your Hydrofoil but your pic does not open! Here is another pic of my bait board. I love the bait board as it has made a massive difference and fits perfectly. I do like the Seahunt except for the cavitation, but I will sort that out.
hopefully. Cheers

Fed
18-04-2013, 05:56 PM
Cavitation or ventilation scrotty?

eureka
18-04-2013, 07:12 PM
here we go maybe its capitation baha anyway a $99 se sport really is the cheapest way out and they make a great step for climbing up the back of the boat new ss prop will cost 700,trim tabs over a grand supply and fitted se sport tab takes 10 mins to fit

scrotty
18-04-2013, 07:30 PM
Hey Fed, CAVITATION is exactly what I meant! The horizontal fin above the prop on every outboard is called a "Cavitation Plate" , not a ventilation plate.
Major places where cavitation occurs are in pumps, on propellers, or at restrictions in a flowing liquid.
As an impeller's (in a pump) or propeller's (as in the case of a ship or submarine) blades move through a fluid, low-pressure areas are formed as the fluid accelerates around and moves past the blades. The faster the blades move, the lower the pressure around it can become. As it reaches vapor pressure, the fluid vaporizes and forms small bubbles of gas. This is cavitation. When the bubbles collapse later, they typically cause very strong local shock waves in the fluid, which may be audible and may even damage the blades.
Cheers

cwcarter
18-04-2013, 11:32 PM
The technically correct name is "anti ventilation plate".
More than likely your getting prop slip, which can be fixed by propping and motor height adjustments. Standard Yammy props have next to nil cupping. You will find a big improvement with a proper pitched stainless.

mikeypom
21-06-2014, 09:01 PM
Gday Col, I would like to see your Hydrofoil but your pic does not open! Here is another pic of my bait board. I love the bait board as it has made a massive difference and fits perfectly. I do like the Seahunt except for the cavitation, but I will sort that out.
hopefully. Cheers

Scrotty, could you possibly pm me where you had the bait board made. It is the best one I have seen on a triton