PDA

View Full Version : keith brown boats

cambos
15-04-2013, 11:43 AM
Fellow boaties, 2 years ago I purchased a 30 foot Keith Brown cruiser fitted with a Volvo 200hp turbo diesel running through a duo prop drive leg. I live in the Yamba area and to get to sea have to cross the notorious Clarence river bar.The vessel was launched in about 2004 and has approx. 2500hrs on the clock.The vessel is used primally for outside fishing with some river runs with family grandcids etc. The vessel is ideal for our needs but is there any way I could gain an extra few hp to have that power on demand for the bar crossing. Is it possible to change props/ pitch etc to provide this or any other way to increase hp to around 240/260hp with the existing engine/drive combination. Repowering is not an option because of the expence involved. Any further info/details on these vessels would be greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Cambos,Yamba

Midnight
15-04-2013, 11:59 AM
Unfortunately Cambos, there is no practical way to bump up the power. Are you making rated rpm at wide open throttle? Any black smoke at wide open?

Most set ups are over propped, which will make them a bit sluggish until the boost really comes on, but if you are making 3800rpm at wide open, with no black smoke, you are getting all you will get from that engine and drive set up.

fisho64
15-04-2013, 05:48 PM
get someone to squirt some hairspray or "Start ya Bastard" in the aircleaner when you need it.... :-)

FishHunter
15-04-2013, 06:23 PM
Turn the boost up and add some more fuel will do the trick but fit a EGT gauge first so you can monitor the exhaust manifold temperatures.

Midnight
16-04-2013, 10:25 AM
You can't "turn the boost up" on these engines. They are an old school mechanical diesel.
You can wind up the high idle setting, but all that will do is make it black smoke more, and shorten the life of the engine.
Classic case of too much boat for the engine.

In this case, ya got what ya got.

Cheers,
Myles