PDA

View Full Version : Up grading Rum Runner Hull

philliplucky
12-04-2013, 11:48 PM
As per thread the title I'm looking at up grading my current hull in the near future an old 17ish foot rum runner I repowered it mid last year with a new DF140 and replaced the trailer to a new 6m multi roller and did a few little mods at the same time replaced the transom removed the motor well and fabricated a alloy pod. as my budget at the time didn't allow a full up grade.
so now looking to the future what hull can I upgrade to my requirements are as I have a small family and I like overnighters out at the reef would be some sort of cabin so the misses and 3 year old can bunk down would like something around the 6m mark I like glass boats for out wide but will consider alloy had a look at a Formosa walkaround and a Yalta craft 2000 fishman on paper what else is their for a budget minded family man looking for a hull only or am I better off buying a hole new outfit

Phil

scott171287annon
13-04-2013, 06:43 AM
I personally like the formosa boats, good heavy duty hulls at a reasonable price. You already have a near new motor and trailer so the expensive part is already done. Nothing rides like fibreglass though (some people may disagree) but a good plate boat still rides well, and they look great!

ozynorts
13-04-2013, 07:20 AM
Not sure what your budget is, whether you want new or second hand. The Yalta's are a very good boat IMHO. A lot of boat for the money. You could also look at the Tournament boats and the Baysports.
This boat is owned by one of the guys on here.
http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=14165917&Silo=Stock&Vertical=Boat&Ridx=0&eapi=2
Enjoy the search

philliplucky
13-04-2013, 08:54 AM
Theirs no great budget constraints just more browney points I have to get with the misses
If just upgrading the hull I would go new but if purchasing a complete outfit I would consider 2nd hand
Don't think I have seen a baysport boat up this way so can't comment on then but they look ok on the net
I may be getting out of my budget but what about importing a hull from the USA ?

ozynorts
13-04-2013, 09:04 AM
Considering you already have the Zuke 140 it may be worth getting a quote for a new Yalta 555 and use the current motor. In fact that would be a very good way to go price wise. You have already forked out for a new motor so why do it again?
Or you could look at something like this.
http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=14634277&Silo=Stock&Vertical=Boat&Ridx=2&eapi=2

oldie
13-04-2013, 11:49 AM
140hp on 6m glass boat may be a touch on the lighter HP side depending on make, keep that in mind

Jarrah Jack
13-04-2013, 12:07 PM
Bit of a dilemma there. You will lose some $$$ if you seel the present rig with all those new toys. Rum Runners haven't got the best reputation. The 140 is a bit small for a 6 mtr as has been stated.5.7 would be about the max size boat for that motor. Is the motor an extra long shaft?

ozynorts
13-04-2013, 02:15 PM
Honda900 on here has the 140 on that hull and it is a good match from what he has told me. He gets pretty good figures for fuel, range etc.

ozscott
13-04-2013, 02:36 PM
I would have thought a 140 especially in a 2 stroke would hammer on a 6m if it was a run of the mill boat - even glass say Haines, Seafarer etc etc.

Cheers

philliplucky
14-04-2013, 07:47 PM
I was thinking the motor will be the limiting factor, the motor is a Xl on the rum runner I'm getting .9lt per NM pretty happy with that