PDA

View Full Version : Fresh Unfrozen Squid Supplier

CruiserV8100
12-04-2013, 10:59 PM
Been trying to hunt down some fresh unfrozen squid around the bribie island area as bait for offshore. Anyone know where I can track some down please.

Cheers Clint

Fish_gutz
13-04-2013, 12:43 AM
Go and find your local trawler blokes.

or if you are that keen come for a drive down to shorncliffe on Tuesday/wed and thurs mornings. fresh squid and cuttlefish a plenty at the moment. usually around $5 - 7 a kilo.

CruiserV8100
13-04-2013, 06:59 AM
Thanks, I usually only do the plastic thing but will be out for an extended period. Where abouts down shorncliffe.

Sandman
13-04-2013, 08:26 AM
Fish_gutz is that off the trawlers ?

Fish_gutz
13-04-2013, 08:28 AM
from the end of Palm ave to the cabbage tree creek boat ramp.where all the trawlers tie up to thier pontoons/jetty`s. either side of the old co-op. the biggest days are normally thursday mornings if you get down there about 7 in the morning there should be plenty on offer , also depends on what net set ups they are running, some come in with very little or no squid and others come in with kilo`s of them.

Fish_gutz
13-04-2013, 08:29 AM
Fish_gutz is that off the trawlers ?

Yes Sandman , off the trawlers.

kingcray
13-04-2013, 08:48 AM
good idea from fish gutz, or you could try Morgans Seafood at scarborough. I like buying squid from there because you can normally pick from small, medium or large or extra large. I usually pay around $6.99 to $7.99 for it there and its very fresh

Fish_gutz
13-04-2013, 04:47 PM
i`ll never go to morgans again after buying my kids a seafood pack from the cooked section and the fish was from south africa ? WTF ?
they are 5 meters away from some of the best and freshest seafood in Australia but serve up that rot. it`s just not cricket !

but yes kingcray they do have fresh unfrozen squid but last time I looked it was around the $11/kilo mark. Aussie seafood house normally has the same selection at the same sort of price also.

robsue
14-04-2013, 10:57 AM
i think you will find large squid tubes from aussie seafood have been frozen, then defrosted, though at times they have fresh squid as well, normally the smaller ones
i know a few seafood shops that make their own squid rings using frozen imported tubes, they used to cost 5-99 kg per box wholesale....