PDA

View Full Version : Old PENN gets new life

reggy
11-04-2013, 08:23 PM
I bought an old 113h Senator and decided to pimp it up a bit for a new/old trolling/bottom fishing reel.
I like low gear ratios combined with tall spools for a bit of grunt.
The 113h gear ratio is 3.3:1 but because of the tall spool, line retrieval speed is acceptable.

It`s hard to find reels now with low ratios, and I wanted a star drag for simplicity.
The 113h has been made in China for a few years now, but if you want to put a Tiburon frame on it, you will need an older made in USA reel.

The reel I used is about 40 years old and I was fortunate enough to find one in very good condition.
I built this r90899eel for just over $300,00 and on it, I put a topless Tiburon frame, a stainless gear sleeve, a carbontex and new metals drag kit, a new aluminium spool 90898and might even put a custom handle on it if I can find one that looks as good as the original.

I`ll mainly be using it for trolling with 40lb mono.90897

Midnight
11-04-2013, 08:40 PM
Looks awesome, well done! Very cool

reggy
12-04-2013, 06:22 AM
Looks awesome, well done! Very cool

Thanks Midnight. I should add that you can get USA models that are not as old as mine and already have a carbon drag and aluminium spool which is going to make the project even cheaper.

Horse
12-04-2013, 06:46 AM
Nice work. That's $300 well invested. They are an amazing reel. You could have probably just given it a quick clean and lube and had the old beast purring like a kitten even though its 40 years old

reggy
12-04-2013, 11:11 AM
Nice work. That's $300 well invested. They are an amazing reel. You could have probably just given it a quick clean and lube and had the old beast purring like a kitten even though its 40 years old
Yes, the 3 things that really need changing on this model are the post frame, the old asbestos drag, and the brass gear sleeve that the handle will round the top off if you push the drag.
You can get away with the chrome over bronze spool but they are very heavy.

hangar
15-04-2013, 09:04 PM
nice reel,and the new frame looks great.just goes to show that u can resurect an old reel to get performance of newer reels