PDA

View Full Version : 150 yammie problems

mckanah gibson
11-04-2013, 08:05 PM
just recently bought a second hand boat from melbourne, which has only 200hrs on the motor and is a 2004 model, the motor has never missed a beat down south, and the test run we did went well.

the first time out up here in brisbane i had problems. the boat started fine, and made it all the way to flinders reef, where we thought we would just have a drift while i sort out the gps before heading out further, than the problems started, the motor wouldnt start after a short rest.
after about 20 minutes or maybe longer and the emptying of the fuel in the filter the motor started as normal and ran fine, this repeated itself a second time and than i just ran the motor all day with out a problem till just before heading home from inside moreton. the same process worked to get it started again

has anyone heard of this happening, i have been told it is because of fuel vaporisation when it is too hot? would the fuel from melbourne cause this to happen in qld as i have been told but not yet been back out to check, if filling it up with the fuel from qld will help!

any info would be great

gibbo

captain rednut
11-04-2013, 08:31 PM
hi gibbo
i assume its a 2 stroke???

mckanah gibson
11-04-2013, 08:35 PM
no its a 4 stroke forgot to add that

OWorld
11-04-2013, 08:44 PM
First thing I would do is to check the fuel supply to the engine, seen that it has just been rigged! Check inside the cowling the fuel supply connection, check the fuel hose from the boat to the engine. Then run it on an external fuel tank and exclude any issue related to fuel supply at the boat end. If the problems shows up also on an external tank than you should start looking at the engine. Opti

Jeremy
12-04-2013, 06:59 PM
the first time out up here in brisbane i had problems. the boat started fine, and made it all the way to flinders reef

You were game taking an unknown second hand outboard all the way to Flinders on your first run. Glad you were able to get it restarted and get back OK and hope you get the problem sorted out soon.

johncar
12-04-2013, 08:28 PM
Yes you did have a bit of faith in it but anyway sounds like you need to go through the fuel system as that seemed to be the issue. Due to the age of it coming up to 10 years, you may as well replace the fuel lines including the hand primer bulb and all fuel filters. If not fitted already, best to fit a clear bowl type filter. Empty the tank and put fresh fuel in it as well. Take some short local runs and see how things go.
That's what I would do anyway, don't like having any glitches at sea that I could avoid.

Spaniard_King
13-04-2013, 09:02 AM
There is a significant amount of fuel stored under the engine cowling ie... vapour separator, water separator/filter, fuel lines etc. I doubt emptying the filter on the boat would have changed much in regards to starting. I feel the problem exists within the engine cowling. When was this engine serviced last?

mckanah gibson
14-04-2013, 07:38 PM
Thanks for the advice guys, decided it was out of my league so have taken it to north side marine! Aparently Yamaha said they had a few issues with this model with vaporisation in the warmer climates n have passed on the information on how to fix the problem! There are two options with one being a complete over haul of the fuel system but that is expensive, other option is to put a devise at the back of the motor, which fixes 90% of the problems but not all. And much cheaper! So fingers crossed this works!

Thanks again

Scott79
15-04-2013, 10:41 PM
Good luck with it mate, hope it ends without too much $$$ required.

I wouldn't have considered the Brisbane climate in April to be particularly extreme, if there is a known issue with that model I would be surprised if it wasn't covered under a factory recall / warranty etc., but that's without really knowing anything about the issue of course. It is out of warranty now obviously, but I reckon it is worth a quick call to Yamaha customer service/head office etc to express your frustration and disappointment if it is actually identified as a product issue, perhaps a compromise may be that they supply parts and you pay labour. It wouldn't be the first time a manufacturer offers to assist with a small out of warranty claim.
Again, that is all assuming that the service agent identifies product failure through no fault of the user.

Anyway, good luck with it, keen to hear how the boat performed aside from the obvious drama.

Scott.