PDA

View Full Version : Circle hooks for bream?

fishmtb
09-04-2013, 05:06 PM
hi,

I've started using circle hooks when i take the kids fishing for bream to try and stop the kids from hooking themselves. My boys are 2 and a half and 4 yr old.

Not much luck so far, tried some size 1's, no good. Did some web searching, tried some 2/0's, no luck.

Am i using the wrong size? size 1/0's? the kids don't strike so it won't be that, I usually use prawns and lightly hook them as recommended. maybe i'm hooking them on wrong?

any advice will be great as I don't wont to go back to using noraml hooks, my boys are to young and I don't want them hooking an eye.

thanks in advance.

fishmtb

MudRiverDan
09-04-2013, 05:21 PM
I used 3/0 4/0 5/0 on the beach and have caught bream on all of them, though in general if targeting bream will go to a smaller hook.

so I usually go to a bait-holder 1/0 for better hookups or small circle 1/0 owners.

For prawns use a long shank suited to the size of the prawn or a 1/0 bait-holder.

Prawns are hell on a circle hook (unless they are live in which case you don't thread em on),,lol

If you want to use circle use a different style of bait like a cut square of mullet, mackeral or bonito, I just say this but mackeral and bonito isnt cheap but the greasy smell of it get the bream to bite a bit harder.

You could probably pick up on Bonito for about 5 bucks of a size you would be able to get a good stack of cubed baits from it, or buy some prawns from woolies and cut them into cubes suited to the size of a small circle.

For bream keep your leader longish and light 8lb, light sinker, or you can use a running sinker straight to the hook.

IMO for bream and whiting you cannot go wrong with a smaller hook and lightish rig.

Dont go too small as you want the hook to hold a nice cube around 1.5cm * 1.5cm , bout the same size as a dice, you need to get a good presentation out for the bigger fish but not so big they will pick it and not take it.

Mullet and squid cubes work too, because the fish have to bite a bit harder and longer to remove it, so gives the young people a bit of a chance rather than constantly winding in and rebaiting.

You could also start fishing the incoming tide, which for around here has always produced better bites for me.

my 2c hope it helps a bit (sorry for long rant, by no means the be and end all, this is just what I do)
Dan

castlemaine
10-04-2013, 01:56 PM
IMO for bream and whiting you cannot go wrong with a smaller hook and lightish rig.

Dan

I agree go smaller hook, rather than 1/0 maybe a size 1. Smaller hook will catch more fish and keep the kids entertained.
We sometimes lazy fish off a private jetty and use 1/0 circles and catch bream, whiting and flathead, plus the occasional shovelie and ray.
I like the mustard demons 1/0 and I find the gamakatsu tend to be a bigger gauge, still a good hook though.
We use small prawns and squid strips. Keep barb exposed.
Hope this helps. You're on the right track.
Cheers.
Ps use oily burley.

Lucky_Phill
10-04-2013, 02:35 PM
All info above good.

IMO.... peel the prawn prior to baiting. Leaving the tail only on. In other words.

Head off and shell body... only tail piece left.

I exclusively use Chook gut for Bream, but certainly a lot of other baits work.

1/0 hooks are fine.

Berley........... for me... chook pellets.

cheers LP