PDA

View Full Version : Johnson 2002 115hp 2s idling problem?

Wayne_Red
08-04-2013, 08:11 PM
Hi Guys
I have a 2002 stroke johnson, one carb (plastic) per cylinder OIS ignition. It had been running fine until a while back when I trottle off one time and it started missing like it was down a cylinder under @1500 revs. At idle it would also miss like is was 3 cylinders. When it throttles up again over 1500 rpm it noticably comes back to all cylinders and runs fine.
My initial thought was crap in an idle jet as I have had on other motors several times.
At home I ran it on the hose and pulled off plug leads to find the culprit. The 2 port side were fine and it spluttered when they were pulled off one at a time. The starboard side top made no difference when I pulled the plug lead and the bottom starboard made some difference but not as good as the port side.
I pulled off both starboard carbies, stripped and blew out. Found not crap at all in them. Put them back on and it made no difference. Compression tested and all the same at 135psi. I then swapped the bottom port carbie with the top starbord carbie. No change, the top starb cylinder still made no difference with the plug lead off and the bottom port spluttered when plug lead was off. From that I ruled out fuel and swapped the carbies back to their original position.
Thinking it was electrical I booked it into a johnson/evinrude dealer at Nelson Bay, I wrote them a speel of what I had checked. They called me to say the powerpack was a slightly less spark on the starboard side and were going to replace it ($500 just for P/P).
It had been a few weeks since I had the work done that I took it out. It went like a pig from the getgo, running up to 4500 for 10 seconds the dying off to 1500 for 10 seconds then up again then off again up, down, up, down off etc until I got back to the ramp. Rang them up and took it back in and I suggested their mechanic might have left the fuel strainer in between the carbies loose when they did the full service or similar. They rang and said it was running fine and they didn't find anything. Thet took it for a water test and is running perfect.
That was 4 weeks ago and I have used it quite a bit since and the original problem still exists where below 1500 it is not running on 4 cylinders, throttle up past 1500 and it goes fine. Just spent the weekend at south west rocks and it was the same all weekend. I got home from work today and ran it on the hose and it is exactly the same as before I sent it in the first time, no change when top starb plug lead is off, bit of difference when bottom starb if off, splutters and almost dies when either of the port ones are off. I thought it might be an air leak on the strab side so I took off the air box and reduced the air flow into the carbs with my fingers, no difference. I sprayed extra fuel into the top starb carb, no difference. ???? So I will call the marina tomorrow and let then know I spent $500 on a powerpack that has made no difference.
That model does have an optical sensor to tell it when to fire. I does have a quickstart feature but that seem to be working ok, the engine revs higher for 10 second or so when first started then drops off. Might be a problem there somewhere?
Maybe I get my old powerpack back on and my $500 back and fine someone who can fix it??
Regards Wayne

Noelm
09-04-2013, 03:37 PM
you seem to be fixed on a carby problem, even though lots of things point to it not being so, (by the way, "blowing" is not the way to clean them properly) then you started buying parts for it (electrical parts) and still no go! do you have a manual for this motor? if not buy one (and a genuine one at that) have you checked the plugs? simple to buy 4 and replace them, have you tried swapping the coils? have you checked for bad/corroded connections?

FishHunter
09-04-2013, 04:49 PM
Have you checked the spark on the weak cylinders? Maybe hook up a decent timing light to the bad cylinders and watch the light while running it its a easy way to see if you are losing spark. Also make sure it has Champion plugs in it they dont run well on NGK's at all.

Wayne_Red
09-04-2013, 09:56 PM
Its not that I am fixed on it being a carbie problem, it was a matter of doing some checks to see if it was or not and I thought is was not, hence booking it in to the dealer. The dealer replaced the powerpack as they thought it was the problem. I had checked and swapped the plugs and ruled them out. They were replaced anyway by the dealer when they did a full service at the time they replaced the powerpack.
I spoke to them today and their mechanic is off for a couple of weeks and they will have another look at it when he gets back. No bad/corroded connections. Not sure what plugs are in it, they were put it by the jono/evinrude dealer so I assume they are the correct ones. There seems to be plenty of spark to the cylinders.
Wayne

Spaniard_King
10-04-2013, 06:57 AM
Had those optical Ignition sensors play up a bit. You need the right gear to be able to test them properly