PDA

View Full Version : Cast Nets

jmwarner
08-04-2013, 06:28 PM
My old man used to make cast nets for a bit after he retired so we still have a few bundles of the pre made net sitting in our shed. I've got a 12ft which i put a nice hole in on the weekend but I have wanted to make one myself for as while. Does anyone know how to or know of a site where it shows how to and the measurements to make a net if you already have bundles of raw net? I can only find how to make one completely from scratch.

Thanks

Mossy247
08-04-2013, 06:29 PM
Making a net? Sounds like a job for netmaker.

fish'n'chippy
08-04-2013, 07:26 PM
.....Does anyone know how to or know of a site where it shows how to and the measurements to make a net if you already have bundles of raw net? I can only find how to make one completely from scratch.

Thanks

Net patterns are a personal thing.
Chatting with Dave, his pattern is different to mine, and both are different to Pero's. All can be made out of 25m x 100 meshes.
Is one better than the other, most likely not because they all catch prawns.

If you like the net you have, repair it by putting in a new panel where the hole is (you should have enough 'spare' mesh). Alternately, make your new net based on the pattern off the one you have, which is the easiest way to do it.

I use a double 'carick bend' for my knotting, but again what knot/method you use to put it together is a personal choice and what suits me may not suit you.

Time and patience is the key

G

jmwarner
08-04-2013, 07:56 PM
If you like the net you have, repair it by putting in a new panel where the hole is (you should have enough 'spare' mesh). Alternately, make your new net based on the pattern off the one you have, which is the easiest way to do it.
G

I've only ripped about 1m of rope off the bottom and the stitch for the bottom pocket so it wont be very hard to repair (I think) but I am keen to learn how to make nets. Dad was saying he had just forgotten the measurements (To be honest i dont know what measurements he was talking about) but im thinking it was the sections going down the net

jmwarner
08-04-2013, 08:39 PM
I'm guessing its something to do with different circumferences of sections down the net + or - a certain amount? Back to the old highschool maths books!

fish'n'chippy
08-04-2013, 08:45 PM
Correct

Measure up the net you have, and follow/modify those measurements.

G

jmwarner
08-04-2013, 08:47 PM
Correct

Measure up the net you have, and follow/modify those measurements.

Will do. It's a 12ft wilson net from BCF,would that make any problems?

royslaven
08-04-2013, 09:10 PM
Making a net? Sounds like a job for netmaker.
Now let me see.....able to lose large crab pots , and then find em again.
.....able to start his own religion.
.... able to change the face of parking in redland city
Look, Up in the Sky, Is It a Bird, Is it a Plane, no, it,s a tall balding accountant in a hawaiian shirt, yes, sounds like a job for ......
wait for it...........NETMAKER !

and no, I haven,t had a drink........roy

ThePinkPanther
13-04-2013, 01:23 AM
Massive job Mate!

OK If you have the time and skill but BCF for me and $115.00!

Good luck!