PDA

View Full Version : Brand New Honda BFP60 Power thrust not reaching correct RPM at WOT

kyleth
07-04-2013, 08:57 AM
Hello guys

Ive been reading these forums alot and have just upgraded my membership!
I need some advice ASAP

Ive just bought brand a new boat.

(Stacer 489 SeaMaster with a Honda BFP60 Power Thrust attached to it)

Ok so i took the boat out on its first Sea Trial yesterday, The winch clean snapped when i launched it, Rang up the shop and they came out to boat ramp and replaced it on the spot.

Then i noticed the engine was only reving out to 3000 RPM at WOT the techie jumped in the boat went for a few runs with me and determined my Tacho meter was set to a 4 cylinder engine when mine is a 3 cylinder. So he reset that and i was getting more realistic readings, here is my issue thou with all that said and done my engine at WOT will only rev out to 4,300 MAX.

The engine specs http://marine.honda.com.au/Mid_Range/BFP60_Power_Thrust say WOT range is from 5000 - 6000 RPM.

I dont wanna damage the engine by not running it in the correct range, is this the prop a little big do you think ? (size is 3 x 14 x 11 the reccomended size for this engine)

I was thinking of getting a lower pitch prop to get some RPM's back, Would this help my situation? Im taking it out for round two today to recheck it.

Thanks for reading guys, Hope you can help me as this is really bugging me!

ozynorts
07-04-2013, 09:00 AM
Hey mate, welcome to the posting world.
I would send a PM to Spaniard_King. Garry is a Honda agent and he will set you straight.
Cheers
Ozy

johncar
07-04-2013, 09:17 AM
Hi kyleth and welcome..
Yes you need to get that sorted asap. Your supplying dealer needs to do that for you assuming that they supplied the whole package. 4300RPM seems very low and there may be another problem such as fuel restrictions or it could be prop size. Other owners or Garry will hopefully help there.

kyleth
07-04-2013, 09:17 AM
Cheers ive just PM'd him so hopefully i can get some help with this, One thing i forgot to mention is that at WOT the engine still reaches the correct speed at 48 Km Hours and 40 KM an Hour at 3,500 RPM.

Moonlighter
07-04-2013, 09:19 AM
Take it back to the dealer, or better still make them come for a run again with you. They must provide you with a suitable prop that gets the engine into its proper rev range, preferably somewhere into the top half close to 6000. If they are any good they will want to sort this out for you.

Also check the engine height is set correctly. It may be set too deep in the water and might need to be lifted higher on the bolt holes.

It helps if you say where you are located in your profie so we can suggest options in your area.

kyleth
07-04-2013, 09:34 AM
Im in Hobart, The dealer isnt open today 90537i will have to take it in tommorow. here is a few pics so you can see how its setup, it doesnt appear to be in any notch holes from what i can tell?90536

ozynorts
07-04-2013, 10:35 AM
Hey mate, with adding pics you have to use the go advanced button not the quick reply.
Cheers
Ozy

kyleth
07-04-2013, 03:36 PM
Guys, just got back from Day two of sea trials, it performed a little better today. Engine still only got to 4,400 RPM Max thou. One interesting thing to note is thou at WOT when the engine is at halfway down on the trim guage it seems to have this weird jerking on the boat that feels like is stoping/slowing for a micro second when planing at 48 KMH. When i trim the motor down to the lower end of the trim guage it stops it. Does this mean its cavitating ? Im going to take it to the dealer tomorow as i dont think this is normal behaviour.

ozynorts
07-04-2013, 04:04 PM
Nope not normal mate. Get the dealer to sort it. And don't take the boat back from them until you are 100% happy with it.

Moonlighter
07-04-2013, 08:59 PM
Nope not normal mate. Get the dealer to sort it. And don't take the boat back from them until you are 100% happy with it.

X100!

Take it back, tell them what it is doing, and when they say it is fixed get them to take you for a spin in it to prove it is!

Before you go in tomorrow, read this short article on the Verado website on how to set the engine height correctly and then how the select the right prop. That way, you will be ready for any BS the dealer might throw at you. These guys on the Verado website are the gurus on this stuff, and this is one of the most referred to articles on this topic ever written!

http://www.veradoclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=137.0

Spaniard_King
08-04-2013, 06:50 AM
just take it back to the dealer and get them to sort it... this engine should be setup and propped to reach 6000 rpm.... IMO also get the dealer to check the tacho is setup correctly

matty_j
08-04-2013, 05:45 PM
I just bought a 2009 Bluefin Discovery with a Honda BF40 and it was only seeing 2800rpm at WOT. Spoke to my local dealer and he said that the contacts can wriggle free and the pulse setting on the back should be set at "1". Checked it out this arvo and it was set at"3" by some apprentice I reckon. It now reads 5000rpm at WOT which feels right.

Moonlighter
08-04-2013, 07:33 PM
I just bought a 2009 Bluefin Discovery with a Honda BF40 and it was only seeing 2800rpm at WOT. Spoke to my local dealer and he said that the contacts can wriggle free and the pulse setting on the back should be set at "1". Checked it out this arvo and it was set at"3" by some apprentice I reckon. It now reads 5000rpm at WOT which feels right.

Garry might chime in here, but i would not be confident that 5000rpm at WOT would be "right" for that motor at all!

The Honda website says rev range for the BF40 is 5000-6000rpm, so at the very best you are marginal if you are only pulling 5k flat out.

Garry?

matty_j
08-04-2013, 07:37 PM
Sorry, 5000rpmish. Was only a quick test as the weather was getting shitty.

Spaniard_King
08-04-2013, 07:41 PM
Garry might chime in here, but i would not be confident that 5000rpm at WOT would be "right" for that motor at all!

The Honda website says rev range for the BF40 is 5000-6000rpm, so at the very best you are marginal if you are only pulling 5k flat out.

Garry?

Yep, propping to the top end of the rpm is better and preferred for best performance

kyleth
08-04-2013, 09:29 PM
Hey guys, juat an update. Took it back to the dealer this morning I showed them a video i made on sunday on what the engine sounded like at WOT and they believe it is hitting the Rev Limiter hence why it is making that sound. News to me as i belived it was running at 4,400 RPM which is no where near the Rev limit. But it now does kinda make sense, and yes you are right the Tacho still wasnt setup correctly as they admitted it was still on the wrong setting. Which should be "1" So they have taken the boat back to set up the Tacho correctly, Water test the boat to see what RPM it is doing then Re Prop it accordingly to make sure the engine is running correctly. So i will have it back by the end of the week and i will test it again next monday. Hopefully it all goes well.

kyleth
08-04-2013, 10:21 PM
I just uploaded the video of my engine to YouTube so you guys could hear what it sounds like at WOT. here is the Link, I didnt run the engine for very long only enouph time to test what it was or wasnt doing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wEpzZRlIoU

Aussie123
08-04-2013, 10:29 PM
To me that sounds and looks like an electrical break down

Nathan Tuskes
08-04-2013, 10:32 PM
id say your motor needs to come up so the bottom plate... some say cav... some say antiventilation plate is just out of water flow and just getting splashed.. Edit now i turned the sound on. that doesnt sound right.. i would assume if its over reving an alarm would go off to warn you

kyleth
08-04-2013, 10:59 PM
Yea i thought the same thing But i got no alarms of any sort. there is a rev limiter at about 6,400 RPM the dealer told me today but i couldnt even read the correct rpm due to my Tacho not being set properly :( so i didnt know what it was or wasnt doing. I'm pretty disapointed this brand new engine sounds like that, My previous Honda BF40 was a fantastic engine from the get go never had any issues like this.

Dicko
08-04-2013, 11:23 PM
Yep, that's the rev limiter alright. There's no need for a separate warning at all. The limiter itself is he warning. It's cutting spark to all or a couple of cylinders so it wont over rev. (presumably, most do it in a similar way). It would be easier to pick up and would make more sense with the tacho calibrated properly of course.

You're hitting the limiter easily & not trimmed right out.

From the look of that, you maybe able to push a bigger prop & possibly lift engine. Depending on how it handles overall & turning. Each hull reacts differently. Would be worth testing to compare.

The gps says 21. (something) is that kn or mph ?

It's crap how some dealers send stuff out the door without the basic setup done like the tacho uncalibrated like that & without a water test for engine height & prop testing.

I'd be wondering how much effort has been put into the rest of the set up. :(

kyleth
08-04-2013, 11:53 PM
The 21 is the depth, saying "21 Feet Deep" the speed was at 48 KM in that test.

Fed
09-04-2013, 08:45 AM
Doesn't sound like 6400 rpm to me.