PDA

View Full Version : Lessons learnt, Coorooman Creek.

aus2045
05-04-2013, 09:59 AM
I got chatting to the back neighbor Jack last night. I’ve only spoken to him once or twice in the last 3 years. He’s an older gent about 70ish, he asked me about my new-old boat and if I’ve been catching any fish. I let him know I’d been having a tough time finding a decent fish in the region. Apparently he’s a keen fishermen too, and has been fishing Coorooman Creek for 60 years. He told me he normally catches heaps down at Coorooman, far too many Grunter for him to fillet and freeze, so he and his borther-in-law normally take all their extra fish the local fish market for a few extra dollar$.
Any way here is a summary of his tips and suggestions. I can’t wait to go try these out this weekend.

1. Lures don’t work here. They might work down south where there are heaps of fish. But not up here where there is far fewer fish in very dirty water.
2. Fresh bait does not work, nor does live bait. Everyone uses fresh & live bait so the fish are used to it. The fish will now only bite on rotten bait. It takes some work to prepare it, but it’s worth the extra effort, especially for Grunter. Take a frozen packet of squid, lay it out in the sun for 24 preferably 48hrs before a trip. The smellier the better.
3. Use the biggest sinker you can effectivly cast. Don’t worry about the splash when you hurl it out, that splash noise actually attracts the fish. Once the bait is on the bottom you don’t want it to move. The fish will search out that rotten squid smell, they can’t resist it. If your bait moves the fish can’t find it in the dirty water.
4. Always use a wire trace and a minimum of 30lb mono for any estuary fishing, dont use braid that will cut the other lines off if they rub.
5. Rusty hooks work better than new shiny ones, new hooks are shiny and have a reflective flash that scares fish away. Take any new hooks and rinse them in saltwater, let air dry between trips.
6. Use no smaller than a 6/0 hook for esturary fishing. Big fish have big mouths. And the big hooks eliminate catching small unwanted rubbish fish.
7. Kill any stingrays or catfish you catch. If you put them back alive they will just swim back and get on your hook again.
8. Night fishes better than day.

PROS
05-04-2013, 10:51 AM
I dont know why you waste your time trolling this site

Spiderpig
05-04-2013, 11:56 AM
Is this a joke?

Peter4
05-04-2013, 12:19 PM
Post deleted...

Mossy247
05-04-2013, 12:19 PM
Is it not illegal to sell the fish at the markets as he isn't licensed?
Kill any stingrays or catfish doesn't sound like the brightest idea, kill it for the sake of it.
Sounds like ol mate has abit of dementia he should stay at home where he belongs, there is already enough idiots out there ruining the image for rec fisho's that do the right thing.

BGG
05-04-2013, 12:23 PM
Me thinks this should have been posted on Monday!!!!!!!!!!!

Muddy Toes
05-04-2013, 12:23 PM
Let's all chip in and buy 'Jack' an Ausfish account.........I know for one that'd I'd be interested in hearing more.

Seems like old jack is a bit smarter than the average fisho when trying to protect his favorite fishing spots.........

Boat Hog
05-04-2013, 12:30 PM
I think somebodies been drinking too much 'Jack'.

cobiaman
05-04-2013, 12:32 PM
He could also take full advantage of the gps marks section if he was a member too

Muddy Toes
05-04-2013, 12:35 PM
And with his sense of humor we shall call him Cobiajack

ozynorts
05-04-2013, 12:50 PM
Hey boony, I noticed that you had trouble catching fish in the Fitzroy the other day.
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?191376-Fitzroy-River-Rockhampton-Easter-Monday
Perhaps you need to follow up on these tips to improve your catch rate. :)

Boat Hog
05-04-2013, 01:06 PM

Very good .... but my vote would be for Mud River Jack .....

Spiderpig
05-04-2013, 02:08 PM
I'll let you in on another secret that an old bloke told me when I was younger.

You need to be smarter than the fish to catch it.

ozynorts
05-04-2013, 02:12 PM
Is Jack nimble? is he quick? can he jump over a ?

Zippidy
05-04-2013, 03:03 PM
I took his post as being sarcastic......?

ShaneC
05-04-2013, 04:12 PM
This is fair dinkum. Old mates name is Jack Schitt, there are quite a few Schitts around there, even old Jack's back neighbour is a Schitt, first name Fuller. Push him for more info and he will tell you how slow trolling plastic bags is deadly for turtles.....

Can't believe I even replied to this clown now I think of it.

lucee81
05-04-2013, 05:54 PM
So many haters and non believers on this site, how do you know these ideas don't work? Have you tried them?

Si
05-04-2013, 06:59 PM

I have a couple of names also......

ozynorts
05-04-2013, 07:28 PM
So many haters and non believers on this site, how do you know these ideas don't work? Have you tried them?
I believe that the rotten bait might have some merit but the rusty hooks???????????? Why not just buy black hooks???????????? If the water is too dirty for the fish to find a plastic or lure then how is a shiny hook going to be seen. At least a lure makes a noise in the water. The only thing a rusty hook is going to result in is a bad or non hook up and or tetanus.

Si
05-04-2013, 09:50 PM
I believe that the rotten bait might have some merit but the rusty hooks???????????? Why not just buy black hooks???????????? If the water is too dirty for the fish to find a plastic or lure then how is a shiny hook going to be seen. At least a lure makes a noise in the water. The only thing a rusty hook is going to result in is a bad or non hook up and or tetanus.
I'm pretty sure Lucee and aus are taking the piss oz.

Gon Fishun
05-04-2013, 10:19 PM
Brings me to the time about 25-27 years back, service man for Massey Ferguson in Petrie, on the way back from Beerburrum it was time to get the chaff bag out. Now a good spot to stop for 30 mins. Aha Caboolture river on Beachmere road. Pulled up and was gnawing on a sango and found 20 odd ft of 15lb line with a rusting 1/0 hook, kept looking and found a piece of torn mullet flesh about 50mm diameter, on it goes, tied a small branch on 4 ft up for a float and out she goes. Tied the other end to a sapling on the bank. Well pickle me grandmother 5 mins later off it goes, dropped my next sango grabbed the line and pulled up a dirty old catfish.
No moral to the story. Just saying. ;D

Muddy Toes
05-04-2013, 10:29 PM
I'm pretty sure Lucee and aus are taking the piss oz.

Speak for yourself mate.
When was the last time you saw Lucee81 post up a fishing report?
Bet he's got a packet of squid laid out on the roof of the shed........

lucee81
05-04-2013, 10:36 PM
Speak for yourself mate.
When was the last time you saw Lucee81 post up a fishing report?
Bet he's got a packet of squid laid out on the roof of the shed........
If I keep it on the shed it doesn't stink the house out. You should move yours.
People splatter there bait with tuna oil have you smelt that crap.

Boat Hog
06-04-2013, 07:13 AM

Pfffffft ... that is so old school Lucas! I use gelatine coated fish oil capsules. No smell, no stink. Capsule dissolves and releases the oil.

Not only does it attract fish, but it also attracts old ladies with arthritis and joint pain!

I know, I know ...... smarter than the average Hog!

Cheers,

MudRiverDan
06-04-2013, 08:37 AM
Best Jew bait I ever used was half a cane toad.
The Jewies love em.

Dan

Muddy Toes
06-04-2013, 09:20 PM

You want to talk about fish stink junior?

Come around to my Chinese household for dinner one night and then we'll see if you still want to talk about stinking fish anymore..................

XtremeBoony
08-04-2013, 06:09 AM
Hey boony, I noticed that you had trouble catching fish in the Fitzroy the other day.
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?191376-Fitzroy-River-Rockhampton-Easter-Monday
Perhaps you need to follow up on these tips to improve your catch rate. :)

Ummmmmmmm no.... Ill pass and stick to the thready buster chucking ;D

I also have a couple of mates who fish corrooman with lures on certain tides and do well.... I'm sorry aus2045 but have u considered taking up golf or maybe chess??

Cheers from boony

aus2045
08-04-2013, 09:32 AM
Ummmmmmmm no.... Ill pass and stick to the thready buster chucking ;D

I also have a couple of mates who fish corrooman with lures on certain tides and do well.... I'm sorry aus2045 but have u considered taking up golf or maybe chess??

Cheers from boony

Maybe you are right, I do need to drop fishing as a hobby i'm obviously now the worst fisherman in the world. I used to be very at it once, even won a few comps back in the day. Funny how things change hey. Maybe landscape photography is my thing. Cheers all, keep smilling.

BOMBIE
12-04-2013, 10:20 AM
90953A recent feed caught in the said Coorooman Crk with small sinkers & two trip old squid/cuttlefish ...SSSUUUHHHHH

aus2045
12-04-2013, 10:53 AM
90953A recent feed caught in the said Coorooman Crk with small sinkers & two trip old squid/cuttlefish ...SSSUUUHHHHH

Ha, picture does not work, theres nothing there, just like said crk lol.

BOMBIE
12-04-2013, 05:13 PM
90963Still from Coorooman !!

red rock cod
12-04-2013, 05:32 PM
Two of the best fishermen who knew how to catch fish in coorooman creek were charlie jones and roy sharrock. Sadly both passed away without revealing their secrets as jack did.