PDA

View Full Version : For something different one day

Mr__Bean
02-04-2013, 11:22 PM
Can I recommend the jetski trip from Scarborough boat ramp to Caloundra, up the inside of Bribie Island. With or without your rods this is a great trip, just add a bottle of water and some sunscreen.

Dropping in at Scarbough you head stright across Deception Bay and into the Pummicestone Passage. As you come into the passage on the right near the jetties there are a couple of nice places for Bacon and Egg or a coffee if that is your scene, otherwise continue up and under the bridge.

Remembering that the direction of bouyage in the Passage is that you are leaving Brisbane Port, red on your right and green on your left as you enter and continue up the Passage. This takes some getting used to as it is back to front to what many would think, you are not coming into port you are still leaving Brisbane.

Anyway, continue up the passage and admire those setting up on the beaches and up to the fantastic camping spots. Watch your speed, distances and your behaviour as it is regularly patrolled and it is easy to piss off those that go there for the peace and quiet. Up through the narrows is a great experience with the channel down to a few metres wide in places, respect the other boaters and fisho's but remember that the 6 knot go-slow zones do not apply if you are in the marked channel.

Out the other side and it widens up onto waterski alley, follow the makers to avoid sandbars and consider pulling up at the beach near the old military jetty, fish and chips or coffee from one of the stores there and a toilet stop / leg stretch as well.

Then the fun starts, watching your speed it is off to the play area, out through the Caloundra Bar (if safe to do so). For first timers this should only be done on an incoming tide and with a buddy ski. The bar at Caloundra is quite calm on most reasoanable days and one where many fun times can be had on a variety of wave sizes each side of the bar itself.

But!!!!!!! Keep everyone else in mind. Boats are trying to get in and out safely and at times there are people in water you don't expect them to be in. Keep safe and have a ball on the waves. Respect the speed restriction zones and don't piss off the public andthen we all get to enjoy the area. Watch for less considerate riders and give them a wide berth but have your fun.

Then it is time for the run home, reverse order coming back with a fuel check before going past Spinnaker. Carefully back across Deception Bay and back into the harbour at Scarborough. Ski back on trailer then a check of the body, face - burnt, legs - tired, bum - sore, all up a great time had.

Maybe not for everyone, but a great place for a trip out and some jetski fun to be had.

Darren

Seahorse
03-04-2013, 06:26 AM
Thats sounds great darren. I got my wife on my other ski and a mate on his ski, so there would be 3 here.
Just have to sort out times

Greg

WalrusLike
03-04-2013, 06:48 AM
Nice idea. Thanks for sharing.

How come 6 knots doesn't apply if in channel? Is that a special sign up there or is that a common thing?

(Using Tapatalk on iPhone so can't easily 'thank' or 'like')

Mr__Bean
03-04-2013, 07:29 AM
Each side of the channel there are Marine Park Go Slow zones for habitat, the zone boundary stops at the channel.

Darren

Triple
03-04-2013, 08:07 AM
Here is a map for others reference (I can't embed them?).

"Excludes marked navigation channel"

http://imageshack.us/photo/photo/198/imageowl.jpg/

http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/2847/imageobr.jpg

plas-chuka
03-04-2013, 07:13 PM
I did this trip last friday, left Scarborough about 8:30 had a quick stop at bribie then headed up to caloundra, I think it was about a 30 - 45 min run wasn't really watching the clock, we had a coffee then headed out for a play in the surf, if you have never had your ski in the surf caloundra is a great place to start the surf was not to big. after that we headed back to southern end of bribie for lunch at the fish & chip shop near the jetty & then back to the ramp by about 3:00 it was a great trip & and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again maybe with a fish along the way next time, I have a mate thats keen to go next time as well so depending on the day we will be in.

Leigh

Seahorse
03-04-2013, 08:19 PM
Hey Leigh.
Did you do trip on 1 tank fuel

gunna
03-04-2013, 08:45 PM
Nice country isn't it Darren. I've done the Caloundra to Bribie Bridge and return a couple times in the tinnie. Its a pleasant run with a stop along the way for a feed of prawns and a cold drink.

Mr__Bean
03-04-2013, 09:11 PM
It is fantastic country, and it surprised me how many BIG fish were jumping in the Caloundra shallows about a kilometre inside the bar.

My ski is a supercharged Seadoo (255hp) and it used a full tank of fuel, but mine is very thirsty when you give it a squirt. More conservative driving would use far less.

I take a 10 litre top up tank with me and it saves stopping at Spinnaker on the way back.

Darren

plas-chuka
04-04-2013, 06:59 PM
Hi Greg,

We were doing between 30 & 40 MPH most of the way ( i have the imported FXHO so it's in MPH ) and I got back to the ramp with 2 bars left on the gauge, I haven't filled it up yet but should be about 60-$70.