PDA

View Full Version : Esky Insulation

Jaxson06
02-04-2013, 06:32 PM
Hey Guys..I have built in eskies in my seat pods..they are not keeping the ice very well..the lid seems ok..there is no insulation on the inside, just the fibreglass walls..

any ideas on what can be done to insulate better??

Cheers

propdinger
02-04-2013, 06:41 PM
Pull it out turn it upside down and fill it with expander foam will help a lot

stevemid
02-04-2013, 07:37 PM
Are there Internal walls inside the box? Are there voids between the inside and the outside walls? If so the prev post would work, depending on how much foam you can insert over what % of the external wall area. Most important is to get insulation under the bottom of the box. Cold sinks to the bottom.

If there are no inner walls you could line the box with insulating foam then glass over the foam, creation a smaller but better insulated box.
Steve

Jaxson06
03-04-2013, 06:30 PM
Thanks for the info guys..i will remove the pods tomorrow to see whats underneath.

Cheers

Relaxedcamper
03-04-2013, 07:21 PM
I thought that I would pimp up our esky in the boat a few months ago. I had a look inside and noticed that there was very little insulation and so I had a brain wave.

I drilled a series of holes the same size as the nozzle of the expanding foam in the sides and bottom of the esky and the lid.

And off I went.

One can later and I returned to the house for a drink thinking how much better the esky was going to be.

On my return about an hour I was greeted by an esky that had herniated the inner liner and the lid was swollen like a balloon.

Perhaps too much expanding foam???!!!

Spiderpig
03-04-2013, 07:56 PM
Perfect timing. I was looking at doing the same thing to the under seat boxes in my kevlacat today.

I went over to my local fiberglass supplier and got some prices. I will be buying 50mm foam sheeting, specifically built for eskys, I'll be cutting it into pieces, sticking it on all surfaces and then matting and fiberglassing the lot in. Apparently the 50mm foam will keep ice for nearly a week. ATM mine only keeps ice for an overnighter.

A 50mm sheet 2400x1200 was $117.