PDA

View Full Version : etc oil

yellowbellyking
02-04-2013, 12:16 PM
MY 75 evinrude etc is out of warranty is there any differnt oil i can use in it instead of evirude oil thanks bob

cormorant
02-04-2013, 01:18 PM
You have 2 choices
If your motors computer is set by the dealer to use ETEC oil than that is your only choice the computer runs it really lean on oil and it needs to be the specific ETEC oil.

If your computer is set by the dealer to use normal oil you can use any rated oil in it. It will use more oil than if it was on the ETEC only oil setting. It may lead to a bit more smoke, different smell etc etc and possibly long term some extra carbon deposits that may shorten the life of the motor is no fuel conditioner or more regular decarbing the motor. You can use etec oil on both motor settings however more oil used makes it more expensive. The guys who run the HO motors , run a standard at full throttle expecialy on teh bass boats usually leave it on the normal oil setting and run the etec oil as it provide better lubrication and reduces failures in such a high stress environment where the motors are revving their rings off 100% of the time.

Check with your dealer what setting your motor is on so you know if you have the option to use standard oils.

Buy the ETEC oil in bulk to save some $ or check with your local dealer as they will have a 44 gal drum XD100 and may refill your existing containers cheaper etc etc.

Inside warranty I would not consider any other roil as you never want to give them a excuse to reject a claim if one arises.

Etec oil are basically a low smoke , low ash, high detergent synthetic oil with some octane boost in them. As such small quantities are injected direct into the crancase not into the fuel like other 2 strokes and the fuel in a etec only gets injected into the cylinder it is very important to make sure the correct oil on the correct setting is used. Store oil out of sunlight is my only other tip.

EDIT . Do a manual check of how much oil you are using. Top up oil to a mark. Use the boat and note how much fuel you use after a month of use. Top up oil level and work out what your fuel oil ratio has been. Motors that are running poorly, stuffed plug, , bad fuel, , overloaded, overpropped will cause the computer on a etec to inject more fuel and more oil and is a sign something needs to be looked at