PDA

View Full Version : concerns about a sounder on the ski

plas-chuka
31-03-2013, 09:16 AM
Hi all,

I have not done much fishing since I sold my boat about 3 years ago, I have recently bought a Yamaha FXHO 2006 model and I would like to get back into fishing. Most of my fishing is in the estuaries chasing bream and flathead on soft plastics and hard bodies but now and then I like to get out to mud island to chase snapper so a sounder would be very handy, the concern that I have is that I also use the ski for towing tubes, wakeboarding cruising & even a bit of fun in the surf and I don't know if it would be a good idea to have a transom mounted transducer, would it be able to handle a bit of punishment when it is in the surf or do I run the risk of damaging it or even ripping it right off, also not keen on drilling holes in the ski for resale value. The other option is a through hull transducer but I don't know much about them, are they suited to jet skies? any advice you could offer would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Leigh

terryc
31-03-2013, 10:39 AM
Hi Leigh i have a 2009 Yamaha FXSHO and am currently also looking into which fish finder /gps combo to buy. From research so far i've found that a minimum 500 watts transducer would be required for mounting inside the hull, some guys have done this and posting positive comments. Location for mounting Unit would seem to be either in or on the centre glovebox lid, or on a mount in the cup holder. Others with more experience will offer more info i am sure.
regards terry

Shagga
31-03-2013, 10:41 AM
Leigh,

I have a transom mounted transducer and yes, you do run the risk of damage. I anchor mine just of the beach so the and transducer can't get knocked around. Mine is on a bracket and will swing up if I hit a bank. I get clear readings and have had no issues with it.

I would not be too concerned about resale value. It is a ski and they don't hold their value all that well.

Gary.

plas-chuka
31-03-2013, 07:33 PM
thanks for the replies, I was at bcf today and the salesman was telling me about a suction cup transducer mount that I think is a great idea, I like the idea of being able to remove the whole unit when it is not needed, I have only been fishing on the ski once so I think i will go with this type of mount untill I get a few more trips under my belt then I can decide if I want to mount it on the transom, after looking closer inside the ski I don't think a through hull transducer is an option.

Thanks again,
Leigh

Seahorse
31-03-2013, 07:40 PM
Leigh.
I have a transom mount. I must admit that i have broken one before but someone thought it was part of step.
Just have to be a little bit more careful, but all good.
I have huminbird and the proper stainless brackets that fit on the transom and into the cup holder. I have 2 yammys ho cruisers.
I drilled hole in one ski but with the new one i just ran the trans wire up over back and siliconed it beside the back mat. No drilling holes in transom.
Will read bottom at about 60-70 klms. Will still show depth at greater speeds.
I got 788cxiHD.
We will have to get together for a fish. I got mate with skimand i met another guy at ramp this morning who wants to go as well. I am at woody point

Cheers
Greg

cheers
Greg

plas-chuka
31-03-2013, 08:22 PM
Hi Greg,

I have a mate with a ski who wants to do a bit of fishing as well so maybe we can get a group together for an trip, what type of fishing do you do, as I said before I mainly stick to the estuaries but it wouldn't hurt to broaden my horizons. I didn't realize you could get a stainless steel mount to go in the cup holder where did you get that from I was thinking about a piece of pvc pipe with a cap on it but I would rather use something more professional if it is available. The other thing I was concerned about was running the sounder of the battery do you have any trouble with the battery going flat?

Seahorse
31-03-2013, 09:25 PM
Leigh.
What part of town u in? I usually ish north end of bay, but will go anywhere. Would be great to get a few together.
U can get the stainless bracket from MSS at brendale. They make the stainless racks as well.
I have put a smaller battery in the front hatch and hook up to that.
Works a treat.
A mate and i are going to start ishing outside seaway and try the reefs off mooloolba.

Cheers
Greg

plas-chuka
01-04-2013, 08:31 AM
Greg,

Thanks for that I will give MSS a go, I am in Ipswich so I have to travel where ever I go, my plan is to get out for a couple of trips chasing Flathead over the next few weeks to get used to fishing off the ski and make sure I like it before I spend to much money setting up, but I would definitely like to try a bit of reef fishing, I will have to get some advice on gear and tackle before I go but something tells me I am in the right place for that.

Thanks,
Leigh.

Mr__Bean
02-04-2013, 10:22 PM
I put a thru hull in my skiboat and it works a treat, I followed youtube instructions. But it would worry me a bit on a ski as so much of the hull is out of clear water and you cannot get access to the prime area just in front of the jet intake as it is right under the engine.

Also, I used one of those suction cup transducers on my 15hp tinnie, it regularly came off at full tinnie speed so I doubt it would hold at jetski speed.

Can you hang a support bracket off an existing fastener or fitting on the back of the ski?

Maybe on the rear step bracket or similar?

Darren

Mr__Bean
02-04-2013, 10:49 PM
As a different thought......

What if you back mounted it onto say a 100 x 100 x 3mm aluminium plate, countersunk stainless screws on the inside so that it was a clean plate to mount onto the ski.

Then clean and attach to the rear of the ski with high strength double sided tape, many of these tapes are now commercial strength and you will not remove them without using a blade.

But if you do decide to remove it and sell the ski then it is just a matter of slicing the tape and cleaning of the remaining adhesive.

Darren

plas-chuka
03-04-2013, 06:11 PM
Hi Darren,

Great idea about the double sided tape, I work in a sheet metal factory so a piece of ally plate would be no problem & we also use double sided tape & sikaflex for glass windows, if you use the correct cleaner & activator for the sikaflex it would never fall off & like you said if I need to take it off later it's just a matter of cleaning off with a blade & maybe a bit of a polish, I would still need to drill a hole for the cable to go through the transom but that would be partially hidden behind the gunwale rubber, thanks to everyone for the help & great ideas now i just have to fork out the cash & get on with it I'll let you know how it works out.

Thanks,
Leigh

Seahorse
03-04-2013, 08:23 PM
Leigh.
Damiem at MSS has a stailess bracket for a transom mount transducer. I know it fits a humminbird.
Mine fits fine with wire over the back.
Cheers
Greg

plas-chuka
04-04-2013, 06:49 PM
Hi Greg,

I had a look for MSS on google & nothing came up but I will have a look at the bracket when i get the sounder and if need be i recon i could make something at work for the transducer, I like the sound of Darrens idea of the stick on plate, but I,m not sure how I will go with the bracket to go in the cup holder if MSS has them I will have to get their number of you so i can give them a call.

Leigh

Seahorse
04-04-2013, 09:13 PM
Yeah its moreton stainless steel at brendale.

plas-chuka
04-04-2013, 09:21 PM
Thanks mate I was searching marine stainless steel