PDA

View Full Version : Luanch and retrieve

copie
30-03-2013, 08:06 PM
I would like to know how you all lauuch and retrieve your boats solo.

Mark

Jarrah Jack
30-03-2013, 08:24 PM
Get a Launch & Retrieve latch. It makes thing much easier. Google it and have a look at the video.

Floating Rib
30-03-2013, 08:27 PM
I still launch and retrieve by pushing off and winding on, a lot of guys drive on and off which is fine but im happy with my way, i set "everything" up away from the ramp that way you arent holding others up, including check bungs again, make sure your safety chain bolt hasnt seized, load all your gear, i put the trailer in a fair way for both steps, push off and find a nice bit of sand to pull the boat onto( move as far from ramp as possible to give others room), i tie off or put the pick out as you dont want to swim for your boat when you return from parking the car, i set the cable up already out and down the trailer ready for the retrieve once the car is parked. On return i take note of wind and current and park the boat accordingly with those elements to assist not hinder(but dont jump inside others already lined up unless they are going or you check what their intentions are), it can be a pig to manouver against wind or current when walking a boat to trailer, if very windy it doesnt hurt to angle trailer slightly toward where boat will be coming from, hook your hook onto the boat but keep heaps of tension on the winch line with your hand as you go back to the winch as the current will have the boat all sideways if you leave any slack, winch her on , do up the safety chain and then get the hell off the ramp and sort everything else out in the parking bay. Thats what i do anyway. Also you will always find someone who will offer to help, thats great but its also good to know you can do it yourself when no one is around.
Cheers
Mick.

rexaway123
30-03-2013, 08:41 PM
solo all the time with 7m 3Ton cat. using "boatcatch"... its piss easy

team_mongo
30-03-2013, 08:47 PM
25 footer. Drive off. Drive on. Simpler than the tinnie that I had.

Gon Fishun
30-03-2013, 08:50 PM
I mostly L&R at Spinnaker. Everthing is in the boat ready to go including a plastic lunch box type thingy, with a seal and clips to hold it closed, that the wallet, moby etc goes into. Undo the turn buckle and winch cable, leave safety on, remove rear tie down strap, checking again plugs are in, turn power on tilt motor 1/2 way down, back down the ramp until the water is about 150mm from top of trailer guards, handbrake on, engine off leave in 1st gear. By this time the boat slides back a smidge and pulls up tight on the safety chain, hop on the trailer mud guard lower motor, start, put in forward gear and bring the revs up just enough to take the load off the safety chain, jump off and undo chain, hop in boat put in neutral and let it slip off the trailer. Putting it back on is the reverse. Drive up and leave in gear then hook up safety chain. Turn off motor and drag it up the ramp out of the way then tie it down. All up it probably takes 10 mins to launch and retrieve.

Ausgradi
30-03-2013, 09:03 PM
26ft Striper on bunk trailer - drive on, so easy on a good ramp.

14 ft side console on Teflon skids - depends on weather but usually drive half on and winch if needed.

I really think its ramp, depth and wind dependent. Let alone type of trailer and experience.

Each to their own style.

chocolatemoose
30-03-2013, 10:18 PM
yep all varies depending on boat and trailer.
if you wanted a latch system its hard to beat the LR systems. hundreds of dollars cheaper. simpler. easier to use and easier to install. a no brainier really.

WalrusLike
30-03-2013, 10:43 PM
In the inventions thread a bloke told of his solo system with a rope and stainless ring on to a hook set on his trailer.

I copied it and modified it by using a cleat as a forward facing prong to loop the ring over.

It makes a drive off drive on self launch system that costs nothing and works well. Only used it three times... mostly have a deckie.

(Using Tapatalk on iPhone so can't easily 'thank' or 'like')

ozscott
30-03-2013, 11:03 PM
In the inventions thread a bloke told of his solo system with a rope and stainless ring on to a hook set on his trailer.

I copied it and modified it by using a cleat as a forward facing prong to loop the ring over.

It makes a drive off drive on self launch system that costs nothing and works well. Only used it three times... mostly have a deckie.

I use that. ..tag of steel bar welded, stainless ring and 16mm nylon ro rope

Cheers

MTAQ/BTAQ
31-03-2013, 05:58 AM
I drive a 6 meter vessel off and onto the trailer - I have found the biggest mistake when driving onto the trailer is hitting reverse at the last minute as the transverse thrust of the prop throws it sideways. Be confident, line it up with the trailer, allow for wind if it is over 15 knots and drive it on but do not panic if it is not a perfect drive on and hit reverse - even if it is off centre it will pull on straight when you winch the last few meters. If you have rollers (I have skids which makes it easy) leave it in gear with enough to hold it on the trailer, then attach winch, turn motor off and winch on.

deckie
31-03-2013, 06:22 AM
fairly standard..but varies on the day depending on the wind and tide height.
Launching i just get it all ready, check list routine ..motor up, bungs in, front rope ready, rear ropes if windy, gear aboard etc, wander down and check ramp at the water for slipperyness/grip, depth, decide where put it after launch, ask pelicans where the fish are, etc, then drive to ramp, back down till water just below hubs, leave motor on/handbraked, take off safety chain/winch, give it a push off, pull up onto shore, park then hop aboard and go hunting.
Return to ramp, watch for a minute or two to see where to put it so not jumping any queue, fenders out if needed, gauge wind, drive in/tilt donk up, hop off and pull bow right up onshore/onto ramp if secluded to hold (have a keelguard that helps for solo work in a hurry), go get wehicle, open doors to let any hot air out (essential), pull winch cable out, prep seperate rope/clip i use to hold boat, back down, pull bow up onto trailer (using rear rope as well if needed in strong wind) and hook up the clip/rope that is a premeasured length and permanently attached to drawbar/winchpost so it holds boat firmly up on the rear wobbles so the back doesnt swing and cant slide back down off back of trailer when i walk back to winch, clip on winch rope/cable, wander back to winch and take up slack, winch up whist checking its going onto rollers correct, attach safety chain, abuse pelicans for lying to me, slowly up and off ramp till clear, undo subfloor bung first, then other bungs, then tilt motor down for a flush, clean up, tilt motor back up/secure for road, usual tie downs etc, drive away and buy a few fillets of fish at a shop on way home.
Fairly stock standard i reckon. Steve.

tunaticer
31-03-2013, 07:58 AM
Above anything else, spend the time and effort adjusting your trailer to make it easy to launch and retrieve.
Just because you have a trailer under the boat does not mean it is going to be a good setup. Some of the designs around are plainly awful for practical use.
If you are a winch on type retriever, get a good non-slip plank down the middle of your trailer and continue it up to your winch post. Most dramas and accidents with trailers are at the deep end by people reaching over the trailer to hook or unhook the boat, they either over-extend or snag on something causing a fall.....the very last thing you want for a solo operation.
Check all of your rollers are free to operate correctly and any rockers are in good condition. check your winch rope for decay and if in doubt buy a new one.
Set up a decent trailer light system that is waterproof so you don't have to screw around with wet connections and crap at the ramp.

CruiserV8100
31-03-2013, 08:55 AM
My launch procedure starts the night before a trip, the objective is to launch the boat and catch fish right. The night before I take a wet clean cloth and wipe down everything that could have contaminants on them around the boat and car. Wipe car steering wheel handbrake door handles inside and out indicator switches gear shifts every accesory you will use in you car and boat, boat keys and car keys too, winch handles boat steering wheel think of every place you will touch before your trip. Hit the ramp early am hours, we all have our own procedure. I push mine off winch on, take most things into consideration, wind, tide, ramps busy Ill wait that few minutes to get the best L&R spot on the ramp and gives me a bit more time to make sure I got everything in the boat to not hold up anyone goin solo most trips. Go park the car, last thing you touch is usually the door handles to check your 4by is locked up and secure. Just before I jump in the boat I grab a handful of sand and wash my hands in the salt water with it. Gets the smell of the area you are going to fish in your skin and the sand acts like concrete soap. Than go fishin. It might seem a little overboard to do all these extra things in your L&R preps but when your not catchin fish and cant figure out why, it could be one of these things you didnt add into your pre trip preps.

johncar
31-03-2013, 09:43 AM
Mostly at Bribie, usually plenty of sandy beach and sheltered, so winch off, winch on, 90% of the time regardless of solo or not. It's easy quick and stress free and saves the trailer from frequent immersion. Often quicker and safer than driving off actually because you don't have to get on and off the boat.
If the situation is dicky with lots of wind or current I will drive off, drive on, trailer is set up for either way, just normally use the engines thrust to hold the boat while I get on and off to release and secure the winch hook but I must set up one of those ring and hook ideas just as added security one day, They look simple effective, fail safe and cheap.

John Buoy
31-03-2013, 10:00 AM

I use that. ..tag of steel bar welded, stainless ring and 16mm nylon ro rope

Cheers
Glad you guys liked it .

copie
31-03-2013, 01:59 PM

My previous 2 boats 630 signature and haines hunter V19R i always drove on and off and was realy alone. My new boat has a loader type trailer and the boat slides on and off very easy so rather than leaving it running and in gear i was looking for other ideas people use. Could you send through any photos if you have them of what you have manufactured.

Mark

fish'n'chippy
31-03-2013, 04:22 PM
+1 for the bunk trailer
So simple, drive on/off being solo 90% of the time.
No rollers to bugger up, no catches or extra crew needed.
When driving on, I've got a 4ft gap to aim at. So long as the bow is inside the bunks it will self centre regardless of wind or tide. Way better than any roller/skid trailer I've owned or used.
(Needs a deep V hull to work properly though)

G

murf
31-03-2013, 06:24 PM
I would like to know how you all lauuch and retrieve your boats solo.

Mark

my trailer I designed to dry retrieve off the beach and works a treat with a deep 22deg V hull but hates drive on at ramps, it always wants to sit one side down a fraction. I can electric winch it on from 45deg to the trailer on the sand but the slightest out of square on a ramp and I have to let it off the trailer a bit and re winch it on (electric) when out of the water. I have found I have to only just have the rear roller just in the water and winch it on at ramps, less than 6 times a year at ramps and 50 times a year at the beach.

point being different trailers do different things and you have to work out your system for you

cheers Murf

WalrusLike
31-03-2013, 08:42 PM
Glad you guys liked it .

Yeah it's a brilliant idea. I am very glad to be able to say thank you to you 'in person' as it were. :)

I will photograph it if I get time in next day or two. But my version is simply a plastic deck cleat screwed into the trailer mudguard level with driver position when boat driven up on to trailer.

John Bouys genius idea is that if you have a ring on a rope tied to the starboard stern cleat and slightly more than enough to loop the ring over the forward prong of the cleat on the trailer then you can reverse the boat trailer down ramp. Undo safety chain and release winch until boat slips back enough to 'hang' on rope ring.

Fire up motor, prop in gear drive forward till rope is slack, lean over and lift ring off cleat with boat hook then reverse off trailer. Same deal when returning but in the opposite order.

Great idea, bugger all cost. Thanks again John.

John Buoy
01-04-2013, 07:29 PM
Here ya go
For Solo Launching

My home made boat latch saves me getting in and out
when doing solo drive on/offs.
simply hook up the ring to a fixed hook on the trailer
with a tad of slack rope tied off to the stern cleat,
once your in the water unhook safety chain and winch
if the boat slides back the hooked ring will tension up holding the boat
then simply start your motor drive forward and removed the ring!
park the boat and trailer and off ya go.
simply reverse the procedure when loading the boat!!
Drive on lean over the side with motor in gear hook up the ring and tie it off
shut down engine's and hop out to apply safety chain and winch !!
http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/729/boatlatch.jpg (http://img189.imageshack.us/i/boatlatch.jpg/)
http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/2463/boatlatch2.jpg (http://img843.imageshack.us/i/boatlatch2.jpg/)

Regards Frank ;D

John Buoy
01-04-2013, 07:30 PM
The hook on the trailer is a cut down galvinised U Bolt

WalrusLike
06-04-2013, 06:53 AM
Here's my version