PDA

View Full Version : Bearing buddies - how long.

Nicko_Cairns
28-03-2013, 11:26 PM
Hey guys,

So I put on bearing buddies a bit over a year ago, every month or two I pump fresh grease into them, but how long until I should pull off the buddies, remove the bearings, inspect them and if okay clean them and re-pack with grease and put back on?

The bearings aren't getting very warm during the hour and fifteen minutes or so to the ramp, so I'm guessing they're doing fine?

Lastly, possibly a question for Dr Carl, but what happens to the old grease when I pump new grease in? Does it come through the inside of the bearings then fall off as I drive, or maybe I'm getting the timing for new grease right and the old grease has decomposed so there's not much left? I haven't noticed any grease stains anywhere where it would flick off when driving.

Cheers guys, appreciate it.

Fed
29-03-2013, 06:06 AM
No need to ever pull them apart.

Your hubs aren't full of grease yet but when they eventually fill up grease will come out of the rear seal, it will only be a tiny bead of grease so wipe it & carry on.

astro66
29-03-2013, 06:13 AM
mate i do mine every 12 months...pull off hubs...clean out old grease(use same grease as whats in there as different greases dont play well together) ....inspect bearings ...regrease properly...i dunk mine every trip and they are 6 years old and still look like new...no bearing buddys ..:P

Scalem
29-03-2013, 06:15 AM
What you are doing sounds right, although the temperature test is only a measure of how things are traveling, if they become unbearably hot to touch then its really too later for the bearings and not something you need half way along Fraser island. My dual axle Dunbier has BBs on all four, the lazy hubs are still fine after 4 years regular dunking because its a drive on trailer. The braked hubs have totally been replaced ( you can read about it here http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?183504-Rusty-Rotors) and now that I am giving the disc rotors a spray of inox after every trip the BBs are doing fine and not more than luke warm after a road trip. But I will say never trust them 100% and have counter measures just in case. I have one of each hub spare, fully packed, greased and ready to go should I ever need to do an emergency swap over. I also tap the bearing buddies off once every few months to inspect the grease, you will know if moisture has got in there by the discoloration of the grease. If all looks normal tap the BBS back on and keep going. Don't over grease! Your rear rubber seals will pop with too much grease, thus giving an entry point of water should the seal not find its way back to seating against the axle. One or two squirts of the grease gun should be plenty every few months provided you are not losing any or that you had enough in there in the 1st place. If you are seeing platters of grease anywhere, inside or out, you have a problem and should inspect because a seal in either the BB or the inside has failed. Having said all this, the next big road trip I make up to Hervy bay or somewhere, I won't temp fate and I will replace all the bearing before I go.

Scalem

Nicko_Cairns
29-03-2013, 06:48 AM
That's gold thanks Scalem.

johncar
30-03-2013, 10:24 AM
12 monthly inspection for me. I do my own but sometimes it is just checking that the rear seals are intact and looking good, not spinning on the axles. knock off the dust caps or BB's, inspect the grease for any water ingress, check bearing adjustment. If it's been a while, maybe 3 - 4 - 5 years I do a full service, replace bearings and seals, repack and so on.
Not fussed either way with or without BB's whatever the trailer came with, so long as they are decent quality and don't leak grease out or water in. Just a habit too to feel the hubs quick back of the hand after driving any distance. Never had an issue on the road (touch wood)
Like anything, a bit of care and maintenance minimises your likelyhood of grief when you least want it. Using decent parts helps too.
Most major failures I have seen have been from poor installation and then no follow up checks and servicing.

cormorant
30-03-2013, 09:43 PM
You guys running double lip seals or the marine type seals you glue to the stub axle?

I'll add one to the list - don't pressure wash the crap out of the inner seals- just rinse them.

johncar
31-03-2013, 08:10 PM
You guys running double lip seals or the marine type seals you glue to the stub axle?

I'll add one to the list - don't pressure wash the crap out of the inner seals- just rinse them.

At the moment, both. Big trailer has standard double lip seals because that is what it came with from the builder Vehicle Components. When I do a major service on the hubs I will either fit SS Speedy Sleeves to the axles or change them to the two piece marine seals.
the little trailer has the two piece marine seals that I installed on my last service, the pic below shows the positioning, good positive pressure on the SS slip ring and glue squeezed out from installation. I have never had a drop of water in when done like this.

cormorant
31-03-2013, 08:56 PM
I've got one of each as well. The older trailer has Marine ones as the axel is pitted. I prefer double lip and speedy sleeves hubs packed 100% with grease.