PDA

View Full Version : Do people test drive boats before buying?

bar raider
27-03-2013, 09:35 PM
Looking around at the moment for a new rig and the misses thinks I'm mad for not trying them out beforehand, I didn't with my 2 past boats.

Got me thinking, do dealers do this? Did you?

I'd think not, unless a specific come and try day or something of the like.

And another thing, private used buyers usually get to but new buyers don't ,go figure?

Cheers.

EDIT: poll added.

chocolatemoose
27-03-2013, 09:44 PM
well.. i would hope if its possible you do.
i took a customer out on PFB on monday for a test . he loved it.. i loved it "i got paid to go out and cruise around on a sunny day" :)

captain rednut
27-03-2013, 10:01 PM
If anyone buys a boat without a test run they would have to be completely stupid or have no commonsense. .??????????

Humdinger
27-03-2013, 10:26 PM
You test drive a car before you buy it don't you . If a seller of new or old wont take you for a test run then they must have something to hide

Donkeyzmilk
28-03-2013, 12:25 AM
If anyone buys a boat without a test run they would have to be completely stupid or have no commonsense. .??????????

i resemble that remark

timddo
28-03-2013, 01:11 AM
hmm

I didn't test drive a my boat when i purchased it. I had to wait 8 weeks for it to be built and no dealer had one in stock. I wasn't going to screw some poor fella sellling it secondhand for a test drive knownly that i had no intention of buy his boat. Some people may see this as ok.

In fact , I didn't test drive a new car i was buying either, i knew the model i wanted and basically got the best deal.

Did any of the custom built boats go for a test drive on their new boat on the exact boat.???,

bluefin59
28-03-2013, 04:44 AM
Actually before I bought my bluefin in 2004 I was taken for a test run by Gavin Dunn who was working for theo at Mr Ts tinnies at the time and it turned more into a soft plastics lesson than a test drive and we caught plenty and I bought a bluefin ,so I guess the answer is why would you not if you haven't been in a particular boat before . You certainly don't want tobe going its not quite what you want with such large expense but up to you I guess ...Matt

snapperdan
28-03-2013, 04:50 AM
the dealer / boat company should arrange some sort of test drive and if they dont have the model available they should try and put you in contact with a customer that owns a similar model through either their own network or through the manufacturer's if they are a dealer. That is of course when you have qualified yourself to dealer.

While i understand dealers reluctance to take any old tire kicker on a test drive i hope the dealers understand the reluctance of buyers to part with there hard earned cash.

Shark Poker
28-03-2013, 05:17 AM
the dealer / boat company should arrange some sort of test drive and if they dont have the model available they should try and put you in contact with a customer that owns a similar model through either their own network or through the manufacturer's if they are a dealer. That is of course when you have qualified yourself to dealer.

While i understand dealers reluctance to take any old tire kicker on a test drive i hope the dealers understand the reluctance of buyers to part with there hard earned cash.

ABSOLUTELY. Having worked in boat sales, I Could not agree more.
Pauly

Horse
28-03-2013, 06:07 AM
If there is anyone out there willing to put down a years wages on a boat without seeing if it works for you then I would like to tell you about this Nigerian Gold Mine that I'm willing to sell to you. Please PM me

bar raider
28-03-2013, 06:20 AM
Wow, more than I thought think its normal.

In my case I'm spending 19-20k on a quintrex renegade 460 tiller or 485 seajay territory tiller both with f60 yam, (the seajay is 75-80 kilo lighter)now in that size they're usually consoles not tiller so no one has them in stock,the Q 440 and SJ 455 on the other hand are everywhere.

It seems too complicated, first the dealer has to have 1 in stock, in your size and with the hp you want on it. Motor would have to already be run in so you can do acceleration tests and top speed tests to make sure she's not underpowered?? Like you can't test drive a 2.2 td ranger and trust the dealer that the 3.2 " goes a bit harder". You need to know for yourself.

Am I over thinking things?

Cheers ken.

Still_Dreamin
28-03-2013, 06:51 AM
When i bought my boat at the tackle and tinnie show last year i put a deposit on it and the remainder was subject to sea trial. Took her out of wello point in some ordinary conditions with three big blokes on board and put her through her paces. Gladly shook hands back at the ramp to complete the deal. I felt totally reassured that i was buying the right boat and the motor was big enough.

bar raider
28-03-2013, 06:54 AM
Poll added.

bar raider
28-03-2013, 06:57 AM
When i bought my boat at the tackle and tinnie show last year i put a deposit on it and the remainder was subject to sea trial. Took her out of wello point in some ordinary conditions with three big blokes on board and put her through her paces. Gladly shook hands back at the ramp to complete the deal. I felt totally reassured that i was buying the right boat and the motor was big enough.

awesome idea, i bought my last one at the show too, 10 years ago.

STUIE63
28-03-2013, 06:58 AM
Make sure you water test your actual hull as well people. As there have been a few stories of boats with bows in the hull. I believe there are way too many boats going out the dealers doors without actual water tests. And also test everything I had a mate that bought a tinny and water tested with a buddy tank. When he filled the underfloor fuel tank the mother stopped 200m from the ramp. After half an hour we worked out that his fuel build was assembled back to front putting it back in line with the arrow the wrong way and boat worked fine

Greg P
28-03-2013, 07:05 AM
Early days when I was looking for my last boat went to an open day that Fisher had on Bribie island. Was an opportunity to not only go for a run in just about nearly every model I was considering but also got to speak directly with owners as they were the ones who had their boats on show/water demo for Col.

I was pretty much sold then and just had to convince the Minister of war and finance. probably the best bit of marketing I have seen from a custom boat builder even to this day.

Need to do another one like it Col ;)

WalrusLike
28-03-2013, 07:22 AM
I am the dummy that everyone wants to sell a gold mine to.

Maybe after owning a few I could gain enough experience to be able to 'test' it, but at this stage what can I possibly 'test'?

It floats? Tick! It goes? Tick! The cup holders work? Rats!! It doesn't have any... reject it.

I do understand that experienced skippers can tell if a boat has good hole shot, is sure footed across beam on wakes, etc etc.

But most boats behave completely differently under different configs. So move weight forward or back, lift or drop the motor a hole or two, difference between a tight new motor and a run in free spinning one. Trim tabs or motor trim changes behaviour. Change the prop and its a different boat.

So if I am buying a new boat I have narrowed down the hull types I am interested in and the rest is just pricing and fit out.

Maybe I am wrong but if I had picked a good hull then any good or bad points in the test are likely explainable by setup tuning.

It's a personal thing I suppose... but If I had any doubts then a test would only allow the salesman more time to convince me.

If I have lowered my street cred by revealing my naivety then so be it.... but that's my silly thoughts on the matter. Personally if I buy a new boat I would prefer it not to have been taken out on 2 or 3 'tests' because that sounds like thrashing a new motor to me....

(Using Tapatalk on iPhone so can't easily 'thank' or 'like')

Steeler
28-03-2013, 08:17 AM
You test drive a car before you buy it don't you . If a seller of new or old wont take you for a test run then they must have something to hide

So if you were selling privately what sort of questions would you ask to ascertain what you are selling is what they are looking for and have the funds to purchase.

Not having a crack but might help others on here know how to nut out the tyre kickers from the real buyers, those that know the following.

Hull material
Layout
length
2 or 4 stroke
and most importantly have they the finances available to purchase or have they still got to arrange that.

Tickleish
28-03-2013, 09:59 AM
Never have test driven a boat, never test driven a new car.

Maybe if I was going from a mono to a cat and haven't driven one before I probably would test just to make sure its for me.

In your situation with the tinnies - they are going to be like all other tinnies that size, no need to test run.

fish'n'chippy
28-03-2013, 10:32 AM
I agree with Walrus's post
I don't bother with a test drive these days either (did with my first boat 20 odd years ago)
Doing the research on HP rating for the hull will give you a good idea if its going to be under powered, make sure it runs well and if need be a compression test and diagnistic report.

As for the boats I've sold, basically I check what they want the boat to do and if it would not be 100% suitable, (my style of doing things) I try to talk them out of having a look. If their really serious you can't talk them out of it, and if they want to test drive it that's fine, but they agree to a 10% cash holding deposit before I hook the trailer to MY car.
The ones who's first question is "what's my lowest price" get hung up on.

G

PixieAU
28-03-2013, 12:38 PM
On my last boat purchase the dealer want really interested in a water test until I had paid a deposit. After that he was fine.

My main concern was leaking and motor performance because my research had given me confidence in the hull/motor combination.

Mr__Bean
28-03-2013, 12:48 PM
I will have my boat on the market soon.

I will gladly provide a test drive, once we have agreed the price and he/she has paid a deposit that is fully refundable subject to satisfaction at the test drive.

More thaan happy to assist any genuine buyer, not happy to provide joy rides for wankers.

Darren

RayLamp
28-03-2013, 12:54 PM
I might be in a bit of a unique situation here, but we can't test drive a boat because simply there is nowhere to do it! The only ramp public can use here is closed due to low water levels.

I'd have to take a boat to the coast or lakes - all 2 hours drive minimum. No dealer will do that.

I would have to go to a dealer in Sydney and test drive something there. If I upgrade, it will be to a glass boat and I would want to drive it. I know that I can do this in Sydney. When I bought my first boat, I knew what it would be like due to some experience on other boats. You look at the hull, dimensions, weights, capacities - make sure you can tow it, store it, launch retrieve it etc. Then I just put the max HP on it that the manufacturer specified. I knew it would go OK, and it did. Still does.

I reckon I would only need to test drive a boat if the hull material construction and/or type was different to what I know or am used to. Right now if I bought a boat here, I'd have no choice in the matter anyway.

stevej
28-03-2013, 02:03 PM
its away to cover my backside when selling a boat.
you have shown them then that everything works, and show the engine working at temp and over a period of time

it is so easy to kill a outboard leave muffs on forget oil and so on, it then becomes a he said shes said thing if they come back the next week and said i never worked

LittleSkipper
28-03-2013, 03:21 PM

And what if the boat cannot be test run because it is "MADE TOO ORDER"?

peterbo3
28-03-2013, 05:31 PM
I will have my boat on the market soon.

I will gladly provide a test drive, once we have agreed the price and he/she has paid a deposit that is fully refundable subject to satisfaction at the test drive.

More thaan happy to assist any genuine buyer, not happy to provide joy rides for wankers.

Darren

Hope you are going to hang on to the name. "Bad Eye" is very, very cool. 8-)8-)8-)8-)

stevej
28-03-2013, 05:41 PM
i was talking selling my used boat sorry
new you expect warranty

used its making the new guy aware of what hes getting before he drives off

Si
28-03-2013, 06:40 PM
i was told by a 'north coast' dealer that i was obligated to purchase a 4.55m seajay territory unseen as they dont keep them on the 'floor' and were made to order on a eight week lead time. Thus no sea trial or even an inspection.

Nicko_Cairns
28-03-2013, 06:51 PM
I flew Canberra to Brisbane, hired a car and drove to Noosa to test drive my last boat, crazy if you don't. Looking at getting a boat from the USA, so I'll find one here that someone else has somewhere in Aus, give them ample money and alcohol and hopefully get out for a day.

Lancair
28-03-2013, 07:10 PM
My first new boat I didnt test drive the actual boat, but the dealer put me in touch with a local who had the same hull and motor combo I was looking at. I gave him a call and he was only too happy to take me for a run in it. I bought the new boat from the dealer.
My 2nd new boat, I did get to test drive the boat I bought. I was looking at it in the dealers, they mentioned they had a planned on water test day coming up, so I held off for 5 weeks, got to test drive a few of their models and then was able to buy the one I liked, the one I actually drove, at a reduced price as it was ex-demo. I still had to wait a few weeks for the extras I wanted to be fitted but I did actually drive 'my' new boat before I became mine. I'm stoked with it now.

STUIE63
28-03-2013, 08:22 PM
And what if the boat cannot be test run because it is "MADE TOO ORDER"?

My boat was made to order but was still water tested on handover

STUIE63
28-03-2013, 08:25 PM
Never have test driven a boat, never test driven a new car.

Maybe if I was going from a mono to a cat and haven't driven one before I probably would test just to make sure its for me.

In your situation with the tinnies - they are going to be like all other tinnies that size, no need to test run.
Tell that to a mate up here who's brand new 4 m tinny had a bow in the hull a water test would have saved him a lot of heartache

The Mad Cat
29-03-2013, 07:43 AM
Rednuts statement is a bit strong I think. There are circumstances which dictate whether you can test drive a boat or not. My last boat was from a deceased estate and the boat was sitting in a shed for years and the engines would not start. The lawyer handling the estate was not interested in getting it running. I have it all running now and could not be more pleased with it. If I had insisted on a test run I would not own it now.

TMC

Nicko_Cairns
29-03-2013, 12:48 PM
sounds like the motors were dead, had given up the ghost ;) okay two quick puns.. i'm going to hell.

yeah in that case with limited time you just have to make a judgement call huh?

Rednuts statement is a bit strong I think. There are circumstances which dictate whether you can test drive a boat or not. My last boat was from a deceased estate and the boat was sitting in a shed for years and the engines would not start. The lawyer handling the estate was not interested in getting it running. I have it all running now and could not be more pleased with it. If I had insisted on a test run I would not own it now.

TMC

thylacene
29-03-2013, 07:30 PM
Didn't test drie the first one we bought, but did have it checked out. Sort of bought it from the finance company, commodity aluminum bowrider with 60hours. Came out of it well, was a good boat, still is, sold it to a mate. Boat was 1350km from home, so a whole weekend to pick it up.

Took another mates boat for a run before we ordered a new one, and then did a water test on a dam, but only a few minutes. And engine revs limited, so not really a "test" more to verify basic functions. Still very happy with it. Dealer would have done more, but time was working against us.

johncar
30-03-2013, 11:47 AM
So many variables and so many different levels of experience, competence and expectations.
I have been around boats all my life as many on here have and I don't always find it absolutely necessary to water test a new boat before putting down the deposit, but I certainly would if I was less familiar with it and in that case have managed a decent water test.
It is not always easy to just jump in a boat similar to what you wish to buy but with a bit of planning, patience and approaching people the right way it can often be achieved.
It would be fair to say that most of us don't race out and order a new boat or buy a used boat on impulse and myself would be thinking, researching about what may suit for many months or even years. So for me a boat is pretty much already well qualified by the time I put the deposit down and any water test is often conformation and a formality.

When buying a used high ticket item I would not take chances, a thorough inspection, service history and proper water test are essential as I don't have the cash to waste on a dud.
Proper water test means sea trial in the conditions and types of areas I wish to use the boat.
But every purchase is different and I have done different things for each.

My most recent boat purchase, new build Origin 5000 AXIS wasn't water tested as I felt I had enough confidence in the builder to deliver a decent proven design and quality construction not to worry. I was doing all the fit out so that side of things was my problem. Boat has ended up great and exceeded my expectations.

Previous purchase a second hand Fisher 660 which I offered to pay the seller to let me take it off shore where it was a whole day's outing, part of that day's outing was to make sure it physically fitted in my shed. I didn't trust the measurements as there was only mm's in it. Checking the towing and trailer operation, loading unloading too. I was serious as was the seller so it was all good and paid the money. I had also done plenty of homework on the make/model in previous months/years

A bit lesser planned one before that was a Boat show package from Tournament Boats (Was going to order a CC and changed my mind at the show, not much wrong with the CC's, the Tourny just seemed a better deal) and although I basically trusted the designs and builders, I placed my deposit subject to a satisfactory visit to the factory and water test. I consequently visited the factory at Yatala and was happy with the build quality and with an owners permission also tee'd up to jump aboard their new boat ( same setup) while it was undergoing it's final pre-delivery water tests. All passed OK so it was ordered.

Anyway I think that a certain amount of pre qualifying including a sea trial when relevant, should certainly take some of the risks or surprises out of it and allow you to be much happier with your purchase.
Sometimes I know it has to be a leap of faith due to circumstances too if that's the only way.

mutineer
02-04-2013, 09:24 PM
Bought on eBay drove to Sydney hooked on car towed home , 3500 km sight unseen , Googled a lot read reviews , just cause I was bored at lunch and the missus said how bad could it be lol .couple thousand and it has all new lights electrics , pumps , safety, sounders , trim tabs etc etc .
Probably drive every second new car I buy , I buy on intended use and its usually a small category of vehicles that suit , just like the 200 series I got coming haven't driven one and only been in one once , its to tow boat ..with no real competition . Soooo no I don't test drive everything .but I do like EVERYTHING started and run , I'm pretty mechanical so my ears will cover most issues , its not a guarantee but works for me .

Tickleish
03-04-2013, 08:00 AM
Tell that to a mate up here who's brand new 4 m tinny had a bow in the hull a water test would have saved him a lot of heartache

If its brand new take it back. no biggy.

If its a bow big enough to notice then why didn't he see it?

marty666
03-04-2013, 12:10 PM
1st boat i bought 2nd hand was more excited about buying a boat lucky it turned out to be all good (old cruise craft runabout) 2nd boat also 2nd hand i should of water tested 4 year old quintrex from first owner good service history. 1st time out steering cable broke, battery was shot and we did not like how it rode on the water 3rd boat bought new was allowed a water test once deal was drawn up and deposit paid, water tested my hull and motor and under the conditions i wanted to.

So i would water test every thing cause even tho the steering broke i would of still bought the boat i would of gotten it cheaper and fixed it as i had to anyway but i would of know about it before hand.

STUIE63
03-04-2013, 12:56 PM
If its brand new take it back. no biggy.

If its a bow big enough to notice then why didn't he see it?

Six months back and forth in the hands of solicitors now I can't say anymore

Tickleish
03-04-2013, 02:07 PM
Six months back and forth in the hands of solicitors now I can't say anymore

That's no good, sorry to hear.

trueblue
03-04-2013, 07:31 PM
A bloke bought my boat without a water test despite me offering many times

I thought that was very weird

Jeremy
09-04-2013, 07:07 PM
I have been boating for almost 20 years now and do well over 100 hours running time each year. Even so, given the short time of a water test and the huge number of variables, there would have to be a big issue for me to pick it up in a water test. Should be able to pick up issues like correct power, how it rides and stability at rest by research. Many other issues can be solved by moving weight, raising or lowering the outboard or adding a foil.

I have bought two boats used and sold one, all without water tests. If someone asked me for a water test when I sell, I would ask for a non-refundable deposit of say $100 to cover fuel and my time and to get rid of the tyre kickers.

Donkeyzmilk
17-04-2013, 01:18 AM
i bought a new street bike today .. first few gears can only be managed in that short street , should i have taken it to a track?

i did my research and never test drove my boat but expected to have a bill when i took it to the shop , no regrets here.. got the boat cheap so all good.. in my eyes I got a good outcome , money was spent but all in all,I have a good boat.

not everything ends bad :)

PixieAU
02-05-2013, 01:18 PM
of the bike breaks down at least you can walk home