PDA

View Full Version : Advice on 90hp V4 Johnson 2stroke - seized - worth looking into at all?

RZSmokey
26-03-2013, 07:06 PM
Hi all, have just bought a boat of sorts - well, most of the bits that together would be called a boat. Just not all matching, and in differing states of repair. Thread here (http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?191187-Bought-a-17ft-aluminium-half-cabin-hull.-Now-to-try-to-turn-it-into-a-boat!&p=1466272#post1466272)for some background.

The boat can come with the above-mentioned motor, although I'm not even sure whether it is worth making the 1hr each way trip to pick it up, considering the pain of transporting and storing it. Don't have a stand or anything for it.

Seller lent his boat to a mate, and it came back with a seized motor. Not sure if caused by lack of 2stroke oil, or lack of water cooling, or something else. There was talk of the possibility of sand being inside the motor.

So the boat doesn't have a motor, any advice on whether this is worth getting or not? Perhaps it's possible that somebody would have a similar motor with an OK powerhead? Not sure.

Anyways, all advice appreciated.

Smokey

wayno60
26-03-2013, 07:25 PM
i guess it depend on what damage has been done to piston, rings and cyclinders. if you can get the boat less a dead motor it might be worth it.

RZSmokey
27-03-2013, 02:29 PM
Thanks Wayno... yeah, nobody has any idea of the extent of damage to the motor at this stage, just that it's not great.

I'm just looking for ideas of if there is any point in even going to the effort of picking up the motor, or just let the seller take it to the dump. I already have the hull. I have no idea about outboards generally.

Smokey

Spaniard_King
27-03-2013, 06:40 PM
Ya might get $250 for it from a wrecker.... the dear part will be crank damage.. new crank..just aint worth the exercise.

Go ask a wrecker... no one is rebuilding old clunkers these days

RZSmokey
28-03-2013, 08:49 PM
Thanks SK. I suppose the pain would be pulling it down to find out the depth of the damage. Realistically if it's any more than $2k for a rebuild, it would not be worth it - at least that's what I'm thinking.

What would I be looking at roughly do you think if the bottom end is OK? Or do you reckon there's a pretty good chance of bottom end damage anyway?

I'll probably have to figure it out over Easter and let the seller know. Not sure if there's any outboard wreckers around Rockhampton!

Thanks again.

Smokey

Spaniard_King
28-03-2013, 09:07 PM
I cant see you having change out of 3k even with a good crank shaft

engine would stiull be only worth 1500 after rebuild

RZSmokey
28-03-2013, 09:40 PM
That's concise. Thanks very much - appreciate the info.

Smokey

cormorant
28-03-2013, 11:29 PM
If you were considering a 90hp 2 stroke for your boat they were a good motor. If you found another one you would have all the spares like the gearbox, cowl, tilt trim.coils etc

What year was the motor? Is it a carby or injected motor?

Really depends what you want to do with the boat and if the hull design will even accept the weight of a 4stroke motor of suitable power to make it perform.

Now people say it is a seized motor. Do they have any mechanical knowledge? Fair chance it is but just saying. If it was a good motor and it is sand that blocked the cooling channels there is every chance the crank is OK as opposed to a oil shortage and a stuffed crank. If rebuilt properly you still have a reliable fresh motor quite cheap and are not overcapitalising a old hull. If you are not mechanically minded a newer motor may be better.

Depending on age people are always looking for parts for 90ho johno 2 strokes as there was so many made .

There are a lot of maybes . Gearbox , prop and trim in good cond are always wanted by others and easy to sell.

Fed
29-03-2013, 06:17 AM
Keep your options open & grab it.

RZSmokey
01-04-2013, 09:56 AM
Thanks Cormorant and Fed, appreciate the input.

billfisher
01-04-2013, 10:03 AM
Did it sieze while under power? Sometimes the piston rings can get stuck in the cylinders under storage and they can be coaxed free again.

RZSmokey
02-04-2013, 11:21 PM
Not sure, Billfisher. Very little back story with the whole bits and pieces. I'll remember to check that out, though. Thinking if I do pick it up, perhaps I can just flood the head with oil for a bit and see what happens!

Smokey