PDA

View Full Version : Moreton Bay HELP!!

lukhaus
25-03-2013, 03:43 PM
Hi Guys,

I have been an avid Ausfish reader since I bought a boat about 9 months ago now and have finally decided to take the plunge and post a Thread ;)
I reside on the GC and mainly fish the inshore reefs like Palmy and Mermaid, when the weather is rough we stay in the Broadwater or fish Tallebudgera. With four days in row off over easter I'm absolutely frothing to finally have a crack in the Bay (weather permitting).
I would love some advice on where would be best to launch my boat when coming from the Gold Coast and what sort of distances I'm likely to be travelling on the water from there to get to some grounds.
We mainly fish with sp's and occasionally drop a livey. Definitely more successful with sp's and would give my left leg to get onto some snapper out there ;D
I've searched the posts on Moreton Bay and gotten a wealth of information (especially the bait fishing thread!) If anyone can point me in the right direction to answer these couple of questions I'd be super grateful.

Cheers

L

Moonlighter
25-03-2013, 09:05 PM
Suggest you launch at Cleveland's Raby Bay ramp, or Manly harbour.

Grab you charts or Coastwatch guide out and have a look around areas accessible to these ramps.

Peel Island, Green, St Helena and Mud Islands, as well as the Peel artificial reefs and Harry Atkinson artificial reefs. All are good areas for SP fishing, typically in 5-12 meters most of the time. Just watch out for all the blasted green zones! Best to pick up a marine park guide booklet from most tackle shops (free), plus watch out for the go-slow zones as well, you must be off the plane in those areas.

It will be a zoo at any of the ramps in the Bay over Easter if the weather is good, so be there early and be prepared for the idiot factor as there will be plenty of once-a-year types there.

lukhaus
26-03-2013, 08:38 AM
Awesome mate. Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely be having a crack over the next few days. Weather is looking good!

SUPERDAFF
26-03-2013, 10:50 PM
Suggest you launch at Cleveland's Raby Bay ramp, or Manly harbour.

Grab you charts or Coastwatch guide out and have a look around areas accessible to these ramps.

Peel Island, Green, St Helena and Mud Islands, as well as the Peel artificial reefs and Harry Atkinson artificial reefs. All are good areas for SP fishing, typically in 5-12 meters most of the time. Just watch out for all the blasted green zones! Best to pick up a marine park guide booklet from most tackle shops (free), plus watch out for the go-slow zones as well, you must be off the plane in those areas.

It will be a zoo at any of the ramps in the Bay over Easter if the weather is good, so be there early and be prepared for the idiot factor as there will be plenty of once-a-year types there.

Nicely done Moonlighter.