PDA

View Full Version : Tilapia in Brisbane Saltwater Creeks

B_E_N
25-03-2013, 03:37 PM
While gathering some live baits for an arvo sesh before the storm, i managed to snag 2 rather large and healthy Tilapia. Problem is this was Cabbage Tree Creek and the area was not very far from the mouth (or other popular northern brisbane systems).
has anyone else caught or sighted any around the area lately (northern suburbs)?
fish have been reported.

MudRiverDan
25-03-2013, 04:09 PM
Creeks and drains into the Brisbane river are full of them, I remember when I used to live in Greenslopes I would walk down to the park and see a school of at least 20 swimming in the waterway that eventually get flushed into Norman creek, via storm water.

I have also caught them in the cast net at Oxley creek, Pinkenbah boat ramp and Colmslie pontoon.
They get flushed in after rain.

Don't see why the North would be any different, if there is a bit of fresh upstream of Cabbage creek you can bet they would be there, they don't need much water, I have seen them living in schools that could only be described as semi stagnent urban creek ponds no bigger than a few meters wide and a few foot deep.

Have not caught any lately but a lot of mullet,herring and few prawns around the usual cast net bait spots atm.

Dan

B_E_N
25-03-2013, 04:35 PM
Creeks and drains into the Brisbane river are full of them, I remember when I used to live in Greenslopes I would walk down to the park and see a school of at least 20 swimming in the waterway that eventually get flushed into Norman creek, via storm water.

I have also caught them in the cast net at Oxley creek, Pinkenbah boat ramp and Colmslie pontoon.
They get flushed in after rain.

Don't see why the North would be any different, if there is a bit of fresh upstream of Cabbage creek you can bet they would be there, they don't need much water, I have seen them living in schools that could only be described as semi stagnent urban creek ponds no bigger than a few meters wide and a few foot deep.

Have not caught any lately but a lot of mullet,herring and few prawns around the usual cast net bait spots atm.

Dan
i know of them in the Brisbane River feeder creeks and obviously north pine dam (upper pine) what i didnt know is that they can survive in saltwater and seem very healthy. im surprised they made it that far down the brisbane river. any size to them? the 2 i got are close to 30cm.
just another reason to return large predatory fish!

kingcray
25-03-2013, 04:41 PM
Ben i can confirm at least 1 fish about 30cm caught under the pine river bridge.
That was a couple weeks ago though in the midst of the downpours

Triple
25-03-2013, 04:48 PM
I've been informed by the fisheries officer in charge of noxious species that they have been caught "in the bay".. probably dont see many out there due being lower down the food chain compared to the creeks!

"As tilapia can thrive in fresh, brackish and salt water, it is thought that infestation in one river can lead to infestation of neighbouring rivers by the fish swimming from the mouth of one to the other through the sea."