PDA

View Full Version : Boat Show

itsmango
23-03-2013, 09:26 AM
We were considering buying a Baysport 585, has anyone got any advice or stories as to why they are cheap compared to the other brands in similar size.

I have herd they can be hard to get onto the plane.

oldie
23-03-2013, 10:07 AM
i'd sooner look at a Tournament 1800

ozynorts
23-03-2013, 07:43 PM
i'd sooner look at a Tournament 1800

Or a Yalta 2000
WalrusLike on here has a Baysport if you want to check with him.

Darren Mc
23-03-2013, 08:54 PM
Hi itsmango, 8988489885
I have a 2012 baysport 585 from Brisbane Yamaha and so far i'm pretty happy with it, although i have'nt had much use out of it since getting it. Just lack of time and shitty weather when i do have the time, you know how it is i'm sure.

I have the 115 4 stroke yamaha on mine. I know your thinking that's a bit underpowered and it probably is just slightly, but it does 35 knots with me, my wife and two kids 140 ltr's fuel and gear on board so is ok. Cruises at around 22 knots. Economy is pretty good too. The 150 4 stroke yamaha is to heavy for it.
I do find it does take a little effort to keep her on the plane at much less than about 4000rpm(probably hindered a little by the 115hp) but i plan to get a 4 blade prop and trim tabs to help with that. I also want to be able to get the bow down more in choppy conditions, which the tabs will do too.

Quite well finished for what you pay although don't expect cruise craft quality cause there definately not that good.
I paid about $48000 for mine for your info.
I will say that the fuel filler is in an absolutely pain in the ass spot at right in front of the engine on the transom. When i'm filling it up if i'm not careful when nearly full, fuel spray's out the breather's and the filler all over the front of the engine and in the engine well.
That's the thing that annoy's me most about the boat, filling her with fuel.

The light grey carpet they put in mine is quite lush under feet but holy crap it get's hot when in the full sun and it take's for ever to dry out when it get's wet. I'm going to try wet vacuuming most of the water out to see if that helps to dry it out quicker.

I was dissapointed to find that the windscreen is perspex but i suppose they have to cut cost's somewhere.

Not sure how it's going to go offshore but so far in the bay it's been good and the family likes it so that's the main thing for me.
I do think the 585 is more of a bay boat but on a good day it would probably go ok outside.

Oh, a little tip if you did get one with a sealink trailer, take the wheel's and hub's off and re-grease the bearing's with some decent high temp grease cause what's was in mine was crap stuff that melted in the sun and leaked out the bearing buddy's.

Hope this helps with your choice.
Cheers...

Lancair
24-03-2013, 09:07 AM
I have a Tournament 1800 and I LOVE it. Etec 115, goes great, very economical. Ive had several comments about how well it rides offshore and how stable it is at rest for a 21 degree deadrise boat. It loves a romp in rough stuff, but like any boat will bang hard if you push it hard enough. HEAPS of fishing room compared to others in the same class, very comfortable and easily fishable with 3 on board offshore. I had lots of extras fitted, like stainless rocket launchers, windscreen grab rail, full clears, bimini extension and camping cover, deluxe baitboard etc etc. Approx $53K on the water.