PDA

View Full Version : 2 Stroke Yam Oil

Hsvjones
20-03-2013, 12:52 PM
Hi Guys, I have a 75 Mercury 2 stroke engine and was advised to use 2 stroke Yam oil in it. I have started using it but thought I would ask for some thoughts on this?
Also asking if anyone can recommend a place to buy this at a reasonable cost in the Redlands area? I currently get it from Wynnum Marine
Thanks Heaps Guys!!!

bluefin59
20-03-2013, 04:14 PM
Why wouldn't you put mercury quicksilver premium 2stroke in ? It's what I have been putting in my 60hp oil injected mariner ( mercury) for the last 8 yrs and 900 hrs and it runs faultlessly using this oil ......Matt

Justin Rossiter
20-03-2013, 07:35 PM
I use Quicksilver in my Yammy, no problems at all in over 18 months

J

ozscott
20-03-2013, 08:27 PM
I have used Quicksilver Premium Pro for Opti's in my Yammy 115's (both 2 strokes) for years...excellent low ash oil that gives virtually no smoke when warmed up and no virtually nil smell...amazing oil.

Cheers

hsvjones1
20-03-2013, 08:35 PM
Thanks Guys... Sounds like something that I need to look into.. Does anyone know of a place to buy this at a good price?

ozscott
20-03-2013, 08:39 PM
Go see Brian at Wondall Rd Marine at Wondall Rd Wynnum.

Cheers

Firsttimefisherman
21-03-2013, 02:01 AM
Yammy two stroke oil is made my Valvoline and is exactly the same product Valvoline sell - according to one of their reps.

WalrusLike
21-03-2013, 07:28 AM
I hate all this snake oil stuff. I read heaps of stuff about which oil is better and just ended up more confused than ever.

The blokes posting above have generously shared their experience and that's about all you can go on I reckon. To muddy the waters a bit....

I switched from Yamalube to Caltex and back to Yamalube for my 2011 Yammie 115. A slight improvement I think in oil smell when going slow speed downwind.

Good luck working it all out.... I will switch again at some point searching for a smell free 2 stroke... needle in a haystack. :)

Btw... only reason I care is because the missus hates oil smell in boat... makes her queasy.

(Using Tapatalk on iPhone so can't easily 'thank' or 'like')

Jarrah Jack
21-03-2013, 09:02 AM
Sounds like a great excuse to get a four stroke. Its all for you darl ........

myusernam
21-03-2013, 09:32 AM
i was given a half a bottle of yamalube. I reckon it looks like crap. Very dark, all mineral oil. Gulf western from supercheap is synthetic fortified, cheaper and is very clear and cleen looking. Its all TCW3, but the cleaner looking the better I reckon.

joey_1987
21-03-2013, 09:45 AM
Have you tried Premium Plus? Mercury/Quicksilver oils are generally good and I run the Premium Plus (step above Premium, partial synthetic oil) and even though I premix 50:1 the smell isn't very intrusive especially above 2000rpm. Shop around for it too $40/3.78L is a good price some places charge $60+. Or you can switch to a fully synthetic oil but in an older engine design which was manufactured around the Mercury Oil parameters I would stick with the manufacturers offerings. Also I have tried Yamalube (stopped after the 4L bottle ran out) found it to be on par with Mercury/Quicksilver Premium, but not as good as the Premium Plus. The Yamalube went through plugs a bit quicker and the smell was a bit more intrusive than the Premium Plus. My 2c worth based on operating experiences with a 30hp 2s 2cylinder Mariner (AKA Tohatsu).

Hsvjones
21-03-2013, 11:48 AM
Thanks Everyone for the feedback..