PDA

View Full Version : Mozzies attack

WalrusLike
18-03-2013, 09:37 AM
They got me good. A zillion mozzies versus one bloke. They won.

Sat night was the worst nights sleep I ever didn't get. So now I have to have a mozzie attack plan.

I am thinking of a weighted cast net type thing made out of mozzie netting to throw over front hatch and a similar Velcro type thing for along the console.

Anyone know for sure how far off the islands the little blighters will fly for a feed? Maybe I can anchor waaay out.

(Using Tapatalk on iPhone so can't easily 'thank' or 'like')

theoldlegend
18-03-2013, 10:00 AM
I've found that the stuff called MOSQUITO REPELLANT works pretty well Tony. You can get it at most places.

TOL

theoldlegend
18-03-2013, 10:04 AM
I've just noticed that you're up there in the Platinum section while I'm an addict.

Does that mean if I was a celebrity and/or a high profile sportsperson I'd be "troubled"?

TOL

WalrusLike
18-03-2013, 11:44 AM
Ya lost me TOL.... I don't see all the forum stuff... just the messages because I use a app on my phone. Not like browsing from a computer. So I don't know what metal I or anyone else is. You are gold in my book! :)

Repellant..,. I think it's misnamed. I tried it and it seems to me the mozzies think its some sort of basting that makes the food better. I was liberally basted in Mortein sauce. I hate the stuff so rarely use it. Shows how desperate I was.

Peter4
18-03-2013, 12:34 PM
One word for you WL - Bushmans - it works a treat!

mutineer
18-03-2013, 01:02 PM
Have seen the screens for the hatch , and really no reason why you couldn't make one up old style hinge inside under hatch or Velcro , magnet and one for the door use normal plasticscreen with a material border with Velcro ..I know its Gunna sound poofy but its all at spotlight. Missus is a serial sewer so she's making some for my boat ..self adhesive Velcro tape and bobs ya uncle

Spectre
18-03-2013, 01:54 PM
Screens work well.
But if u r after a non-toxic mix ...try this.
1/3 Dettol, 1/3 Metho. 1/3 Baby oil.
Mix together is small squirt bottle & spry liberally ...will keep the little suckers at bay.
Can be used under arms if needed ...!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mozzie coils also work well (put in a tin)...might not smell the best ...but better than being eaten alive !!!

Cheers

BGG
18-03-2013, 02:11 PM
I used to spend every second weekend on a boat in the Southern Bay normally around Tipplers. We'd leave the front hatch and windows open and put a mozzie coil in the boat. You knew when the coil had run out because the mozzies would attack. Light another coil and back to a relaxing sleep. They may be old technology but in a confined space they work perfectly.

WalrusLike
18-03-2013, 06:05 PM
25 years ago I used to live in a shed in Cairns... Tops of roller doors not sealed and bottom left up overnight about 2 foot for breeze.

A zillion hungry mozzies kept at bay by these little power point units... Insert a pad and the unit heated out a fume that mozzies hate but humans can't smell.

Don't know if it was toxic to us, or if they are still available. Maybe a 12 V version of them would be good.

Triple
18-03-2013, 07:26 PM
what he said....

(brown can not the green one)

timddo
18-03-2013, 07:33 PM
Another non toxic way is to rub mud all over yourself.
Personally just get one of those moreteen mixture laterns.
Coils are cheap too.

tunaticer
18-03-2013, 07:37 PM
Why not take a decent swag out in the boat if you are overnighting.....you will sleep blissfully without a skeeter getting near you.
Before you retire be sure to have a mozzie coil working at all times and if they still annoy you whack the bushmans on exposed skin.
I spray my hat rather than my face with the crap though.

shincism1
18-03-2013, 07:44 PM
Bushmans. I've had a horrible time fishing without it. Always a bottle in the tackle box now. I've gone to a spot and gotten molested by hundreds of sand flies. And had my legs flare up real bad. To going back to the same spot with Bushmans on and not even a thought of getting bitten.

stevemid
18-03-2013, 08:34 PM
I made a mozzie net for the cockpit out of cheese cloth. Sewed in reinforcements for the hanging points and sewed in 15mm rope to seal the bottom against the companionway and the gunnels. Used this constantly in Hinchenbrook passage. Otherwise I try to anchor well away from Mangroves, then a coil just before dusk keeps the stray mossie away. Good thing for the coils is that my bladder lasts about one coil; I can change coils w each piddle.