PDA

View Full Version : Fitting Electric over hydraulic brakes...

jackamundi
17-03-2013, 12:14 PM
I am in two minds about refurbishing the hydrive electric over hydraulic brakes in my Dunbier trailer. I have looked at several kits available to replace what is stuffed on my trailer. Has anybody fitted their own brakes? Degree of difficulty?

Alternatively, can anyone suggest a trailer repairer in the Bribie Island Caboolture area that could do the job?

Thanks in a dvance for your comments!

Brad

EdBerg
18-03-2013, 12:01 AM
Hi, you didn't mention what the kits were or what parts you are replacing? the whole setup from rotors to the hydraulic unit, tubing, or just pads. most of it is fairly straight forward, if you are replacing the tubes, then make sure that the connectors are the same as the ones on the calipers and also replace them with stainless braided ones. The normal metal bundy tube is useless for salt water trailers. The fluid bleeding usually requires two people, one to apply the brakes and the other to open the nipple on the calipers to let the air out. The calipers are held on by 2 bolts and you will require a small length of plastic tube (which need to fit tight over the nipples) to drain the brake fluid into a container so that it doesn't get everywhere. The pads should be quite easy to replace once the calipers are removed.

It is pretty straight forward but if you not confident then any trailer place or auto mechanic should do it for you, there is a trailer place next to Allround Angler in Caboolture, give them a call.

wags on the water
18-03-2013, 04:07 AM
Recently I overhauled the system on the trailer. New lines, calipers and pads - the cost of gal calipers to stainless wasn't too much more, but more than what I wanted to pay. I can give exact figures when I get home late tomorrow night.

Cheers,
Wags

Feral
18-03-2013, 05:22 AM
I see the trailer place I used to use across the road from Bunnings on Morayfield rd has gone :(
They were good value. There is another joint, Probar, 76 Learjet drive that is pretty schmick, I dont think they do installs themselves, but send you around to a local workshop if you need someone to fit the parts they sell you.

http://www.probar.net.au/index.php

jackamundi
18-03-2013, 05:24 AM
Thanks for that Edberg. It looks straight forward but I wasn't sure if there were any hidden challenegs that made the job difficult.

jackamundi
18-03-2013, 05:25 AM
THnaks for that info Feral. I think the place you spoke of at Morayfield are now in Learjet Drive..Caboolture Trailes and Towbars. Found them scouring the net last night. I will give them a call.

Brad

jackamundi
18-03-2013, 05:27 AM
Wags, that info would be great. I am not sure if I need to repolace the hydraulic unit yet and will have to do from there back. Info aboput costs would be very useful.

PM me if you prefer. Cheers Brad

Mr__Bean
18-03-2013, 07:26 AM
There is also a great trailer parts place tucked away in the industrial part of Lawnton.

They have all sorts of trailer brake kits and lots for marine trailers.

When I asked about replacement galvanised axles Probar needed 4 weeks notice to get them in as a special order, this place had them in 2 days and they were cheaper.

http://www.trailersparesdirect.com.au/

Darren

CATchin'Em
18-03-2013, 07:29 AM
Everything is easy as to do. Stainless calipers from big mans trailers on eBay. 600per pair. Make sure you get stainless backed pads also. Most calipers use same butterfly flange. Easy to check. Use stainless lines I cut it all and bent it etc($20 toolset) but I would pay someone to flare it with proper tool as cheapskate tool for flaring is pathetic and if it leaks it is not worth the hassle. I did mine originally nine years ago with gal calipers and have done one clean and reseal on calipers and have had to fix sense brake unit a couple of times.(myself). All of it easy as for anyone. Oh yeah and I painted my 316 stainless lines with duralac and zip tied with big zip ties to trailer.

Mr__Bean
18-03-2013, 03:19 PM
I am going through this now, rather than go with the stainless steel lines you can now get good flexible braided line kites.

These are simple to assemble and they are fully ADR approved (you can legally fit these to your car).

See here: http://www.hydrastar.com.au/brake-lines/hydraline/

I think the kit for a tandem trailer is around $200-$250

Darren

wrxhoon
18-03-2013, 08:17 PM
It's all easy to do if you have some experience .
You have to find out what needs replacing, does the actuator work? If you can't hear it going when you power it up then she is cactus, even if you can hear it going the pump could be finished. If the calipers are not seized they should lock the rotors . If the rotors are rusty you need new ones, if the calipers are seized you need new ones.
I use Kodiak S/S vented rotors, S/S calipers, S/S brackets and bolts with ceramic brake pads and I use flexible braided lines as well , very easy to fit and will never rust. Hydrastar or dexter actuator is fine but I use 1600 psi not the more common 1200 .
This set up is expensive but requires very little maintenance other than new pads in the life of the rotors. You always have brakes that will lock at will. In the long run this set up will be cheaper than none S/S.
You can do the bleeding on your own , all you have to do is pull the break-away switch the actuator will go on bleed the far one first then work your way to the closest caliper to actuator. Make sure you don't run the actuator dry. Do NOT over tighten the brass fittings .

Spaniard_King
18-03-2013, 08:39 PM
I am going through this now, rather than go with the stainless steel lines you can now get good flexible braided line kites.

These are simple to assemble and they are fully ADR approved (you can legally fit these to your car).

See here: http://www.hydrastar.com.au/brake-lines/hydraline/

I think the kit for a tandem trailer is around $200-$250

Darren

Darren,

Don't use that kit... its crap the braided lines are good bu the copper ends on the Hoses bend crink etc real easy

I found a better kit from Down in Melb.. 100% better quality
http://www.transtyletrailers.com.au/spare-parts/flexible-brake-lines/

This is them

jackamundi
18-03-2013, 10:05 PM
Thanks for sharing your wisdom wrxhoon. I take your point on the longevity of the better gear.

jackamundi
18-03-2013, 10:10 PM
Thanks Garry. they looksmick and the ss connectors should cover what was the weakest link. jackamundi

Mr__Bean
18-03-2013, 10:41 PM
Darren,

Don't use that kit... its crap the braided lines are good bu the copper ends on the Hoses bend crink etc real easy

I found a better kit from Down in Melb.. 100% better quality
http://www.transtyletrailers.com.au/spare-parts/flexible-brake-lines/

This is them

Shit!!! I have already bought them as part of a whole brake kit.

But thanks for the info Garry, I will now be super careful installing them.

Darren