PDA

View Full Version : Matching Outboard to Boat

boboncc
15-03-2013, 06:20 AM
I've narrowed my boat search down to two of the same model/make runabouts (new) but of different sizes:

Boat A: Hull 4.5m, weight 340Kg, Max 60Hp and Min 40Hp
Boat B: Hull 4.8m, weight 400Kg, Max 75Hp and Min 40Hp

Both boats are rated to 5 people, but most of the time it will be me and one or possibly two mates . I would prefer B with a 75Hp 4 stroke but I would have to get a 60Hp as the budget will be at max.

My question is, would there be much of a performance difference between A & B if they both had the same 60Hp outboard? On the odd occasion would B cope "okay" with 5 people (not heavy)
Personally I can't see there being much difference with the extra 60Kg and 300mm.

What are your thoughts?

Cheers!
Bob

patrol50
16-03-2013, 05:54 PM
i would go with the 4.5 and the 60 4s bob imho its a good universal size and should do all you ever want it to do as i sort of understand your proposed useage ( not for offshore use really though ) and particularly if you headed fro retirement age - bit squeesxee for 5 though but doable - a 4.8 is quite a biggish boat for 1 person to handle on and off a trailer or a older guy ( like me ) and his missus to launch and retrieve particularly on a windy choppy day - my missus has a real prob if left holding my 4.7 on the windy days and usually i do get pretty wet when retrieving it plus an earfull from swmbo
cheers
ps but if your a younger more sprightly buck then go with the 4.8/ 60 4s big foot

boboncc
16-03-2013, 07:58 PM
Thanks Rob, I appreciate the advice. I must admit with the lack of replies I was beginning to think I may have asked a dumb question!
On a different topic, I went to the Boat Show at Rosehill Racecourse in Sydney and pretty much confirmed what I am looking for, plus ............. lots of great toys!

Cheers!
Bob

purnong
16-03-2013, 08:10 PM
I must admit with the lack of replies I was beginning to think I may have asked a dumb question!

Cheers!
Bob

Well, Bob
What are the boats you are looking at? Is there any reason you are not naming brands & Models etc
It's a little bit hard when you say boat A boat B etc, Whats the big secret?

johncar
17-03-2013, 07:33 AM
I would think that you first need to choose the size and style of boat to suit your needs and 5 people is a bit crowded in a small boat in the range you are looking at. Even two adults and three small children will be crowded. So IMO the larger of the two boats at least.
Anyhow as a general rule of thumb I choose a HP rating one size below maximum rated HP. And that works pretty well for me over the years.
You may need to consider having two props regardless of which engine you choose, one for light load with just one person and a smaller pitch when loaded up with 5 + gear.

patrol50
17-03-2013, 09:30 AM
the only consistent thing about this site is that you will get usually differing opinions from different people who have differing uses and ages and differing needs, boating skills, experience etc but all about the same issue - imho dont underpower a boat if you can avoid it and always put the max hp on if possible as i have had one boat a bit underpowered - alright when you have 1 or 2 people in it but not so good if you have 3 or 4 or 5 in it - also any high sided boat with a canopy etc over about 4 .5 m can be a bit of a pain to launch and retrieve single handed - yes doable on flat calm no wind days but not so easy on a bit blowy windy day unless you into drive on which is tough on trailers re rust and wheel bearings
cheers

Wayne_Red
17-03-2013, 10:06 AM
One thing to think about is the life jacket rules in NSW are different for a 4.5 meter boat compared to a 4.8 meter and over. For that reason alone I would personally go with the 4.8, and a bit more room never goes astray. In answer to your question, there would be a difference in performance but on the 4.8 but probably not that much. If the 4.8 has a min HP of 40 then I am sure it would go ok with a 60 IMO.
Wayne

boboncc
17-03-2013, 12:24 PM
Well, Bob
What are the boats you are looking at? Is there any reason you are not naming brands & Models etc
It's a little bit hard when you say boat A boat B etc, Whats the big secret?

Thanks for the reply, no reason for not naming other than it was easier to explain my thoughts using A and B. I was looking at a Quintrex 450 Escape and a 481 Escape, but leaning towards the 481 due a little extra space for when the family comes and stays.
90% of the time it will be me with one or possible two mates that will take it for a run.

boboncc
17-03-2013, 12:33 PM
Anyhow as a general rule of thumb I choose a HP rating one size below maximum rated HP. And that works pretty well for me over the years.
You may need to consider having two props regardless of which engine you choose, one for light load with just one person and a smaller pitch when loaded up with 5 + gear.

Thanks for the reply, basically if I get the 481 I can only afford the next motor down from max HP or I could perhaps ditch the sounder!

boboncc
17-03-2013, 12:36 PM
Wayne_Red (http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/member.php?28369-Wayne_Red)
Thanks for the reply!

boboncc
17-03-2013, 12:40 PM
patrol50 (http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/member.php?45524-patrol50)

Thanks for the advice Rob, I was getting a bimini that folds back easily which help a little with the wind, but not a total cure!

Cheers!
Bob

boboncc
17-03-2013, 12:42 PM
If I have missed anyone out, thanks for taking your time in replying, all feedback and suggestions are welcomed!

Cheers!
Bob

patrol50
17-03-2013, 04:10 PM
Thanks for the reply, no reason for not naming other than it was easier to explain my thoughts using A and B. I was looking at a Quintrex 450 Escape and a 481 Escape, but leaning towards the 481 due a little extra space for when the family comes and stays.
90% of the time it will be me with one or possible two mates that will take it for a run.

should go with your boat and ob choice bob (been a bit of a journey from a initial 3.75 / 30 hp open tinny to a to 4.8 / 60 hp runabout) - but at the end of the day its your boat mate and you have to be happy with it - dont ditch the sounder if your a fisherman or a want to be - suggest buy the best and biggest screen colour combo sounder / gps you can afford and pay at least $1K for it obviously the more you pay the more bells and whistles you will get

boboncc
19-03-2013, 06:50 AM
Thanks Rob, yeah it has been a bit of a journey going from a 3.75 tinny and a blow out of the budget! I went to the Rosehill show on Saturday and saw lots, pretty much confirmed what I want with regards the boat.

Cheers!
Bob