PDA

View Full Version : mounting an elctric out board

tonyatredrock
14-03-2013, 07:26 PM
Any tips to mounting an electric outboard to a pointy nosed tinny,preferably somehow on the bow,any ideas welcome...cheers T.C.

SCOTTYGC
14-03-2013, 08:10 PM
Best way is to have a plate welded to the tinny

Any good Ali fabricator will be able to do it

whiteman
15-03-2013, 12:42 PM
Depending on the size of the tinny, the electric can be very useful at the rear ie tiller steer. My 3.1 tinny with a pointy nose has a tiller steer and I love it that way. I'm standing next to it and with the throttle arm extended I just give it a bump with my body to steer it when I'm slowly cruising around snags. Cheap to set up. I thought I might have needed a foot control with a front mounted unit but like you, too many mounting issues and it would have been 2-3 times the cost.

Floating Rib
15-03-2013, 01:36 PM
I had a quintrex dory with the rounded nose and had to mount a 54lb watersnake bow mount, used 2 pieces of good hardwood (250mm long x60mm wide, 20mm deep,) shaped the underside of both pieces of wood to suit the rounded nose shape to end up with a horizontal mount offset at about 11 o'clock from the nose, measured and marked with bow mount plate on both boards, drilled bow and mounted with stainless bolts on a good squirt of silicone to bed the boards nicely, the mount then stayed attached to the bow and just dropped the electric on when needed, yes a bit of stuffing around but if you dont mind doing stuff yourself a pretty easy job.
ps hit the wood with a bit of lanotec or such to help protect.
Cheers

Rib

Peter4
15-03-2013, 04:40 PM
Any tips to mounting an electric outboard to a pointy nosed tinny,preferably somehow on the bow,any ideas welcome...cheers T.C.

More info needed TC...

Are you looking at a tiller steer mounted on the front or a proper bow mount electric like a Minn Kota or JW Watersnake?

There are lots of threads on this subject already - try doing a search...

Cheers

Pete