PDA

View Full Version : cooktown fishn and crabn

tonyatredrock
14-03-2013, 07:12 PM
Whats the go with fishn around cooktown,has it been flogged to death yet or is it worth a look. Wondering also what the people and the general vibe is around the joint.Any help from locals or others that are in the know let us know....cheers t.c

Nicko_Cairns
14-03-2013, 08:55 PM
mate people there are pretty friendly from my experience, there's a fair few tourists etc so just lock everything up like you normally would. fishing wise, best bet is to phone the Lure Shop in Cooktown and ask them, it has a fairly small population though so much better fishing than out of Cairns for example but it blows harder than a $2 hooker up there a lot. do yourself a favour though and search for any fishing articles in google by Nick Stock, he used to live up there and knows his stuff. I've heard the Annan is much better crabbing than the Endeavour but ask at the Lure Shop.

I had a good half day charter years ago with the pommy guy, can't remember his name if you don't have a boat, but from your title I'm guessing you do. October is a great month for the rivers from memory that's when he said it goes off. I've been meaning to drag the boat up there but life is getting in the way a lot.

Just pick me up on the way through as I'm keen for a fish ;)

Whats the go with fishn around cooktown,has it been flogged to death yet or is it worth a look. Wondering also what the people and the general vibe is around the joint.Any help from locals or others that are in the know let us know....cheers t.c

Hem4935
16-03-2013, 07:01 AM
Iv been there a few times and never trust the local tackle shop, he tells you one thing, then the locals the truth lol. A mate and i had luck there 2 years ago but only cause he had gps spots that his mate (a boat shop service guy that downloads people gps marks while servicing there boat) gave him.
As for muddies we cleaned up at the river before cooktown the annan river. We put pots in each morning and collected that night and had atleast 3 keepers in each. Check tides and go slow its rocky as.