PDA

View Full Version : Nissan X-Trail CVT issues

Chimo
13-03-2013, 11:25 AM
Considering a Nissan X-Trail diesel with CVT as a tow vehicle.

Any one had any experience with these and particularly with the CVT type of transmission?

Are any years better or worse?

Does Nissan fix any issues or stand well back and blame the owner?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Chimo

cormorant
13-03-2013, 01:01 PM
Read his one a while back

http://www.caravancampingsales.com.au/advice/2012/tow-test-nissan-x-trail-ti-32619

I'm still a skeptic on CVT other than for day to day driving till I see a few more years of CVT and what they cost to rebuild and total cost of ownership. I like the idea but not sure want to own a 10 year old one after seeing a mate get quoted 18ooo for a fancy Audi box recently.

Really want to quiz the selling dealer if new that it is suitable and in warranty for the towing you propose and just what wear and tear maintainance and cost is to be expected.

JB
14-03-2013, 09:35 AM
5 years old on my petrol cvt with occasionally towing 1.3 tonne and so far so good. Towing isnt great i must admit, diesel would be nice but wasnt available when i bought. next car will be a d4d prado but need more $$! p.s dave wants a patrol (preferably an older 1 he can borrow LOL)

Duckfish
14-03-2013, 05:27 PM
I think the jury is still out about the towing capabilities of CVT transmissions and I heard some whispers that XTrails are not a 4WD as such. They are only 4WD till they reach a certain speed and then revert back to 2WD. Thats what I read on the net. Don't know the accuracy of that story.

Duck

Tumbo59
14-03-2013, 07:35 PM
I bought my X-Trail CVT in Feb 2008, its now done just over 117000km without one problem and I drive it hard. Its been up and down teewah beach several times and the associated sand tracks without issue.

For me it has been a fantastic vehicle but I do not tow.

tassjo
14-03-2013, 08:08 PM
1 of the top 5, class 4 towbars that we sell