PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye Awesome 5 and hello Stabi 609

live_baiter
12-03-2013, 11:15 AM
just thought i would share with all you guys out there that i have had to part with the awesome 5 and go with the stabi 593XR which is the older version of the 609 and 2050.
it was sadx the let the 5 go as it was a weapon of a small boat and did alomst everything i wanted it to do... only let down is no room for kids to have a nap as they are starting to come out with me.
the natural choice was to find a stable, safe boat that is big enough to accomodate 2 kids so the search was on.
i didnt want to outlay a huge amount so a 2nd hand boat will have to do and came across the 593XR with the 20Deg deadrise and the 5 ring life bouys that i just could not go past...
picked her up in a fairly neglected state and going through her with some TLC so she will be presentable shortly, including a brand spanking new X winch drum anchor winch!

just out of curiousity, what do you guys think of the 593/609???
i dont care if you hate it, just give me a reason as i am interested in others thoughts/experience...

please dont turn this into another battle of glass vs alloy vs BC vs other brands....

LB

chocolatemoose
12-03-2013, 11:49 AM
just thought i would share with all you guys out there that i have had to part with the awesome 5 and go with the stabi 593XR which is the older version of the 609 and 2050.
it was sadx the let the 5 go as it was a weapon of a small boat and did alomst everything i wanted it to do... only let down is no room for kids to have a nap as they are starting to come out with me.
the natural choice was to find a stable, safe boat that is big enough to accomodate 2 kids so the search was on.
i didnt want to outlay a huge amount so a 2nd hand boat will have to do and came across the 593XR with the 20Deg deadrise and the 5 ring life bouys that i just could not go past...
picked her up in a fairly neglected state and going through her with some TLC so she will be presentable shortly, including a brand spanking new X winch drum anchor winch!

just out of curiousity, what do you guys think of the 593/609???
i dont care if you hate it, just give me a reason as i am interested in others thoughts/experience...

please dont turn this into another battle of glass vs alloy vs BC vs other brands....

LB

buh!!!real men fish out of wooden cannoes!

i like the stabis. anything from nz tends to be good

Still_Dreamin
12-03-2013, 11:52 AM
;D

Except kiwis themselves, wish we could send them all home

Still_Dreamin
12-03-2013, 11:54 AM
;D

Except kiwis themselves, wish we could send them all home!!
Would love to see some pics of the new to you boat.

Smithy
12-03-2013, 03:38 PM
Great boat. Could put the nose through waves downsea but it would track true and straight.

Out-Station
12-03-2013, 07:48 PM
Live Baiter, my old man has a 609 supercab 150 honda. Great sea boat, you just feel safe in these things. Old mans needs trim tabs, i noticed that smithy's old one had tabs on it. Serious good sea keeping ability.

Scott

bf90
12-03-2013, 08:01 PM
bloody good sea boat, mate used to have the 609 with a 150 etec. Went like a scalded cat, we used to push it through some ohhhhh sheeeeeet stuff on spb and we never once felt unsafe. if I had the coin I would buy one myself.

bf90
12-03-2013, 08:04 PM
out station, the 609 we had needed tabs as well, but we put a foil on the donk, that made one hell of a difference to the boat, it was like black and white the difference was that much. The foil was a fair bit cheeper than the tabs too.

live_baiter
13-03-2013, 03:16 PM
i thought that with the pontoons on either side ther eis no real need for trim tabs?
anyway, here are a few pics of it...896368963789638

Smithy
14-03-2013, 08:53 PM
All deep Vs can do with tabs. I knew with customers I would get them sitting all over the place so with tabs I could tab it out rather than get them to move. They did give me a little more nose trim so I could go super slow just on the plane at about 10knots still sitting down and pretty much go through anything within reason. Livebaiter, on the plane they are like big chines, it is only at rest they settle on the tubes and stiffen up. In concept the hull shape cross section is like Super Vs, big chines, deep V in the middle and square sides.