PDA

View Full Version : Is this pot legal?

kingcray
11-03-2013, 07:32 PM
my dad was given 2 of these pots by a local pro crabber. He reckons they are the best pots he had ever used and are completely legal,,, i just want to make sure before i use them.
The 900mm pot sits flat. It has double 10mm rings on the bottom, but the interesting part is the top ring is made of pvc and "floats up" as the pot hits the water opening the pot up. No supports whatsoever

I think all that is ok, but the part im not sure about is that is has 6 entrances.

Cant find any traps like this online, or anything on the fisheries sites about limits on amount of entrances. Cant wait to give them a crack later on in the week.
cheers
Dean

Fallen angel
11-03-2013, 10:36 PM
You can have any amount of entrances mate and there is no difference to any other trawl mesh pot that I can see apart from not having staunchens. I would be carefull when using in the current mate that's all.....

Vitamin Sea
12-03-2013, 06:05 AM
Interesting, I'm sure that they are legal, no problems there, I recon they would go well on short soaks, pretty easy access for the crabs to get in (and out I recon) quickly.

See what Rosco has to say.

Cheers

VS

kingcray
12-03-2013, 06:09 AM
thanks for the reply, i remembered reading somewhere about legal length and height of entrances on crab pots but cant find anything on it.
the pot is very heavy with the double rings i would think it would still sit ok in a stiff current
cheers

kingcray
12-03-2013, 06:13 AM
cheers vs yes thats my only concern, i think the sandies especially could find their way out.
who are you kidding rosco knows bugger all about crabs ::)

randell
12-03-2013, 08:01 AM
a few weird and wonderful shapes , looks like the same material.
randell

kingcray
12-03-2013, 08:21 AM
randell i saw those for sale at tackleland at sandgate on the weekend.
they look like they would work well on redclaw / lobsters etc

Vitamin Sea
12-03-2013, 10:05 AM
cheers vs yes thats my only concern, i think the sandies especially could find their way out.
who are you kidding rosco knows bugger all about crabs ::)

Work them like dillys

Cheers

rosco1974
12-03-2013, 04:02 PM
mate am pretty sure you can only have a max of 4 entrances to a pot in queensland..not 100%sure but prob 95%.give the fisheries a call mate and they wil tell ya for sure....in saying that just untie 2 of the enteries and put a string between the rings and tube to stop turtles and they will comply .either that or tie 2 enteries up ...and irecon they will catch real well mate....

aus2045
12-03-2013, 04:08 PM
I was wondering what kind of pot you were talking about. I was certian it was illegal in Qld but has been de-criminalised in South Australia. Dont get caught growing it, lol.

kingcray
12-03-2013, 04:25 PM
rosco this guy uses them all the time. Pros would have same rules as us wouldnt they?
Anyway it would be easy for me to close 2 entrances up.

maybe member fisheries qld can post their thoughts

Fallen angel
12-03-2013, 04:37 PM
Hi Kingcray

I have had a look at pretty much all the legislation that I can dig up and not for the lack of trying I cannot find any mention of the following
1. Size restrictions
2. Number of funnels
3. Size of funnels

With regards to the size of funnels there was a lot of talk a number of years ago about this and it was pretty much to do about abandoned operhouse pots (square type large funnel) and it was to do with turtles getting caught. It does mention in the legislation as a point of consideration to keep in mind the size of the funnels with regards to turtles.

With the above point about size of funnels, if you have a 900mm pot with 6 funnels and looking at the size of the inner rope I think you will be fine....

And by the way, for all the years that I was a commercial crabber I can remember giving away pots but funnily enough they were never the best pots that I have ever used. They were usually pots that let's say gave me an advantage over the guy I was giving them too.

:)

Happy crabbing anyway mate

My handy hint for you is to place a bit of plastic trellis across the bottom part of the funnel to close it up a bit

kingcray
12-03-2013, 05:16 PM
just had a look it has same size entrance measurements as these guys

only thing different is the rope is a bit looser so would be easier for crabs to escape

Vitamin Sea
12-03-2013, 07:03 PM
mate am pretty sure you can only have a max of 4 entrances to a pot in queensland..not 100%sure but prob 95%.give the fisheries a call mate and they wil tell ya for sure....in saying that just untie 2 of the enteries and put a string between the rings and tube to stop turtles and they will comply .either that or tie 2 enteries up ...and irecon they will catch real well mate....

Don't think so Rosco

Crabs and lobsters

http://www.ausfish.com.au/images/Fisheries_RecreationalFishing/Fisheries-Rec-Rules-Crab-250_rdax_90.jpgCrabbing gearCrabbing and fishing gear

Crab pots and dillies

In tidal waters, when fishing for blue swimmer crabs, mud crabs and spanner crabs, no more than four crab pots or dillies (or a combination of pots and dillies) may be used per person. Also a person must not possess more than four crab apparatus per person, on a boat on the water.
Crab pots and dillies must be marked by an identifying tag bearing the surname and address of the owner.
When not attached to a fixed object (for example tied to a tree above the high water mark), all crab apparatus must have a light coloured surface float attached. The float must not be less than 15 cm in any dimension and must be marked clearly with the owner's name.
When tied to a fixed object, a tag must also be attached to part of the rope that is above the high water mark. The tag must be marked clearly with the owner's name.
The use of inverted dilly apparatus (witches hats) was phased out from 2 April 2010.
When fishing for spanner crabs, the frame of a dilly must be made of solid steel of a thickness of at least 6 mm and no more than 1 m in each of its dimensions. If a collapsible trap is used it must be made of rigid material and have one or more collapsible sides.
Female or undersized crabs must be removed from the trap and returned to the water immediately.
Note: The age limit for the recreational use of crab apparatus has been removed.
Crab collapsible trap

In tidal waters, a collapsible trap must be made of rigid material with one or more collapsible sides.

This could be a problem

rosco1974
12-03-2013, 08:00 PM
i have read somewhere that its 4 entries but cannot find it offhand,i'd be checking with fisheries b4 i used them,would save a nice little fine if caught with them onboard at the ramp if illegal...i am prob more like 99% sure this is the rule..would say if you can use them they would be shithouse for overnite soaks and would recommend pullin them around 20 minute soaks,

kingcray
14-03-2013, 05:34 PM
rosco - i phoned fisheries today. Spoke with a bloke and questioned him about legal measurements / max entrances etc. He had no clue whatsoever. His answer was "um i think 4 entrances but im not sure and your entrances must be no more than 10cm wide in any direction" ... i was like WTF mate how does a mud crab fit through there??? his reply 'oh i thought you meant freshwater' another WTF!!!?? i say to him mate i dont know too many blokes chasing freshwater crabs... anyways he mumbles and fumbles and speaks to some other bloke about it who also seemed clueless and eventually says 'theres a pdf there somewhere on the website , i will find it and sent it to your email' ... needless to say the email never came.
Im sure this was just a one off, as the fisheries blokes i have bumped into in person are much more knowledgable and helpful than this critter, but still proves how hard it is to get a straight answer on this

gruntahunta
14-03-2013, 06:28 PM
Hi King ray....I have one like that which I made myself bout 10 years ago...I modelled it off the ones I bought from a convenience store at Ferny Hills called Wyatts general store... I actually made it from a tennis net and the upper ring from sprinkler system poly hose, low density so floated up great.

Opposite to what Roscoe says, they work really well over night and catch more crabs than any other pot I have ever used. They sit flat in the boat, easy to bait and really good in current. Mine only have 4 entrances

rosco1974
14-03-2013, 06:43 PM
grunta 6 entries is alot different to 4 enteries mate its another 2 entries/exits for crabs to go out...my 2 funnel pots outcrab my 4 entry pots most times 2 to 1 on overnite soaks but i guess at double the price they should hold the crab in better

MudRiverDan
14-03-2013, 07:06 PM
they sell 4 entry pots in the store.

Axl
15-03-2013, 01:51 AM
I to have seen it written somewhere that in QLD max 4 entries and NSW max 2 (as well as NT I think) but I am buggered if I can find it. Its not mentioned on the daff site http://www.daff.qld.gov.au/28_3065.htm

Here we go I new i'd seen it written somewhere, for some reason this store lists 4 entry as QLD use and 2 entry as NSW & NT use http://www.bcf.com.au/online-store/fishing/nets-gaffs-and-pumps/nets-and-traps.aspx?id=30501 and says to check your local guides. I've done that and I cant find any reference to entries anywhere.

Here is another daff link http://www.daff.qld.gov.au/documents/Fisheries_RecreationalFishing/Responsible-crabbing-in-Qld-DL-flyer.pdf again it says nothing about the number of entries however it does mention that openings should be restricted to a maximum of 60cm.

60cm:o thats 600mm thats a big opening this must be a misprint I reckon that it should read 6cm.

So after searching around I would think that your pots are ok to use Kingcray, unless offcourse some bumbling fisheries officer can tell you different;).

kingcray
15-03-2013, 05:50 AM
thanks for the responses guys but i finally have my answer. I phoned fisheries again and got somebody a little more helpful, just received this to my email.

Hi Dean,

As discussed here is the link to a pdf document detailing the requirements for crab pots (Tidal) within QLD. http://www.daff.qld.gov.au/documents/Fisheries_RecreationalFishing/Responsible-crabbing-in-Qld-DL-flyer.pdf (http://www.daff.qld.gov.au/documents/Fisheries_RecreationalFishing/Responsible-crabbing-in-Qld-DL-flyer.pdf) . The requirements as set out within this document are our rules for construction of the pot for use within tidal waters only, there is no maximum or minimum mesh size within Tidal waters, nor a maximum amount of openings.

There are additional rules in construction of pots when intending to fish for spanner crabs, the frame of a dilly must be made of solid steel of a thickness of at least 6 mm and no more than 1 m in each of its dimensions. If a collapsible trap is used it must be made of rigid material and have one or more collapsible sides

Please note: In tidal waters, when fishing for blue swimmer crabs, mud crabs and spanner crabs, no more than four crab pots or dillies (or a combination of pots and dillies) may be used per person. Also a person must not possess more than four crab apparatus per person, on a boat on the water. Female or undersized crabs must be removed from the trap and returned to the water immediately.

Kind regards,
Customer Support
Biosecurity Queensland
Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry
80 Ann Street, Brisbane Qld 4000
PO Box 46, Brisbane Qld 4001

t: 13 25 23
t: +61 7 3404 6999 (interstate)
f: +61 7 3404 6900
e: callweb@daff.qld.gov.au

jhmtaylor
15-03-2013, 08:42 AM
I have looked up the NT Regulations, which are as follows:
Marine pots
Maximum of 5 pots or dillies per person with a maximum of 10
pots or dillies per vessel when 2 or more people are on board.
A complying marine pot:
• Must not be greater than 100 cm in either length, width, height or
diameter.
• Must not have more than 2 openings into any enclosure
(excluding any opening for emptying crabs from it, or for placing
bait in it).
• Must have a float attached that is no less than 80 mm in diameter
or length. The float must be visible at all times when in use and
have the user’s first and last name clearly marked on it.
• Must not be used in fresh water.
• The use of pots which are constructed of entanglement material,
such as witches’ hat pots is prohibited.
A dilly pot:
• Must not be greater than 100 cm in either length, height or
diameter.
• Must be constructed of flexible net material that has a minimum
mesh size of not less than 15 mm when stretched.
• Must be constructed so that, when set, the sides collapse and the
net lies flat on the ground and does not contain material that is
capable of entangling fish or aquatic life

MudRiverDan
15-03-2013, 03:24 PM
I have some similar but not as sturdy as those ones look.
I have used them off a jetty without the supports as I suspended them, though I get better results with supports.
Without supports is just that bit more you have to fiddle with and I doubt a float would be much good even if it did hold em up a bit of current might collapse them.

Though if the pvc ring holds them up they look pretty good..

Dan

kingcray
15-03-2013, 03:33 PM
well dan these 2 were pots used for about 10 years before he retired them and they are still in great nick.

heading out on another crabbing trip tomorrow arvo, so will see for myself how good they work

Dean

kingcray
15-03-2013, 03:37 PM
I have looked up the NT Regulations, which are as follows:
Marine pots
Maximum of 5 pots or dillies per person with a maximum of 10
pots or dillies per vessel when 2 or more people are on board.
A complying marine pot:
• Must not be greater than 100 cm in either length, width, height or
diameter.
• Must not have more than 2 openings into any enclosure
(excluding any opening for emptying crabs from it, or for placing
bait in it).
• Must not be used in fresh water.
• The use of pots which are constructed of entanglement material,
such as witches’ hat pots is prohibited.
A dilly pot:
• Must not be greater than 100 cm in either length, height or
diameter.
• Must be constructed of flexible net material that has a minimum
mesh size of not less than 15 mm when stretched.
• Must be constructed so that, when set, the sides collapse and the
net lies flat on the ground and does not contain material that is
capable of entangling fish or aquatic life

yep but im not crabbing NT.
It seems all states have different rules even though we all chase the same crabs.

kingcray
17-03-2013, 03:29 PM
ended up with 6keepers last night from these pots, will post report later on
cheers