PDA

View Full Version : trailer rebuild.

fandtm666
11-03-2013, 09:38 AM
I am about to start on a trailer rebuild and will be getting it sand blasted to remove the surface rust and old paint etc.

Have rung around and to get it hot dipped will be around the $700+ mark which is a bit
more than i can afford or expected.

So wondering what peoples thoughts are one either

a: cold gal

b: epoxy paint with an industrial hardener added

The frame of the trailer is in pretty good condition and is "c" channel though i am replacing the draw bar with a full new piece.

dnej
11-03-2013, 10:01 AM
If you are going to all the trouble to get the base material prepared, hot dip is the best answer to the end result. When you say rebuild, how much work are you doing.
David

fandtm666
11-03-2013, 10:32 AM
If you are going to all the trouble to get the base material prepared, hot dip is the best answer to the end result. When you say rebuild, how much work are you doing.
David

am replacing everything apart from the frame because it is in very good condition with minimal surface rust but the paint
is a bit how you are going.

I got the trailer at a great price and even once i replace all the running gear and rollers etc it will cost me far less than a new
5.8mtr trailer , but i did not expect the hot dip to cost so much plus i would also have to hire a car trailer to get it up to
Brisbane and im on the tweed.

mitch_wahoo
11-03-2013, 01:58 PM
I just did mine. Sand blasted then coated with galmet rust converter and sealer, then sprayed with galmet cold gal paint, then coated it with 4L of tectyl.

Mr__Bean
11-03-2013, 08:25 PM
Doing mine now.

All parts stripped off, new gal springs, gal axles, new electric hydraulic brakes, new guards, new roller brackets, new centre skids ($$$$$$$$$).

Now ready to look at the frame, which is I-Beam. There isn't any rust but given the rest of the trailer renewal it seems logical to get the frame re-dipped.

The price of sand blasting scares me a bit, do you guys have indicative costs for the blasting?

Darren

fandtm666
11-03-2013, 08:28 PM
had a rough quote of 150 - 200 for the full sand blast from murwilambah sand blasting

they charge $6 per minute

copie
11-03-2013, 08:46 PM
Look up and maybe call a company called RUST BULLET have seen and read about it at most of the brisbane based boat shows. I think this might be your answer.

Mark

lucee81
11-03-2013, 09:12 PM
Sand blasting isn't exactly the hardest of jobs ever thought of doing it yourself? Need a decent size compressor so it doesn't cut out. Bag of sand (sand blasting sand) from easy mix about $6.49 of you pick up from carbrooke site.
Sand blasting gun. Starting from about $12 and goes up from there would probably buy one in the mid range. However I have one in the shed if you want to borrow it.
Practice on some old steel all up if you have a compressor probably cost the price of a bag of sand to find out if your confident enough. Would come and show you a few pointers but won't be home for 5 weeks as of tomorrow.

Mr__Bean
11-03-2013, 09:36 PM
Thanks for info, when you say decent size compressor what size do you mean?

Darren

lucee81
11-03-2013, 10:08 PM
that comes down to the required air flow for the gun you are using cant remember what mine needed but a 2.2hp with a 20lt-40lt tank from bunnings probably isnt going to cope, you would want about 1.5 times the required air flow of the gun you are using.

dnej
11-03-2013, 10:31 PM
I found out some interesting information during the week. Molasses removes rust. Apparently use a 5 part water to one part mollases mix. Have tried it as yet, but seen the results. $ 1.50 a litre at produce place.
David

lucee81
12-03-2013, 05:04 AM
I found out some interesting information during the week. Molasses removes rust. Apparently use a 5 part water to one part mollases mix. Have tried it as yet, but seen the results. $ 1.50 a litre at produce place.
David
I never knew that. Does it also prevent rust?

Feral
12-03-2013, 07:01 AM
If your going to sandblast it yourself dont forget a decent respirator, silicosis is not a pretty disease.

lucee81
12-03-2013, 07:10 AM
If your going to sandblast it yourself dont forget a decent respirator, silicosis is not a pretty disease.

I knew I forgot something. Even disposable overalls for a couple of bucks helps.

fandtm666
12-03-2013, 07:02 PM
I just did mine. Sand blasted then coated with galmet rust converter and sealer, then sprayed with galmet cold gal paint, then coated it with 4L of tectyl.

Thanks for that , how much did you have to thing the coldgal to be able to spray it

Dignity
12-03-2013, 08:31 PM
I knew I forgot something. Even disposable overalls for a couple of bucks helps.

I think Aldi have them going on sale this weekend coming for about $2 each. I once donned a set in a cold wind and was surprised at how warm they kept me.

CT
17-03-2013, 08:14 PM
Thanks for that , how much did you have to thing the coldgal to be able to spray it

I used "Silver Gal" from The Paint Place. No thinning needed. Sprayed the lot through a 2 mm tip. The bloke said that a 1.4 mm (I think) would have been better for a more glamorous finish, but I was happy with the result. Two coats from a 4L tin for a Redco under a 5m Cruise Craft.

I wet sandblasted the frame with garnet and it worked a treat. Flap discs were also awesome for cleaning up old paint etc. I used both 60 and 80 grit.

Cheers
Craig

fandtm666
18-03-2013, 12:20 PM
I used "Silver Gal" from The Paint Place. No thinning needed. Sprayed the lot through a 2 mm tip. The bloke said that a 1.4 mm (I think) would have been better for a more glamorous finish, but I was happy with the result. Two coats from a 4L tin for a Redco under a 5m Cruise Craft.

I wet sandblasted the frame with garnet and it worked a treat. Flap discs were also awesome for cleaning up old paint etc. I used both 60 and 80 grit.

Cheers
Craig

Thanks for that , i will be going down the same path its just to expensive for me
at the moment to get it hot dipped.

fisho64
19-03-2013, 02:22 AM
you only need to remove the rust Acid bath will remove all the previous gal etc

murf
19-03-2013, 06:33 AM
got the trailer I built HDG for $1.10/kg in Coffs, it was in sections though. Coffs has a new big HDG bath to take trailers in one go I believe but they WILL NOT HDG RHS if they believe there will be any rust on the inside that they can't see (won't do old boat trailers with RHS) if its I beam or C section and not big chunks of rust then the acid bath cleans like new then HDG

cheers Murf

fandtm666
19-03-2013, 08:47 AM
thanks murf

at that price it is not that bad because frame is about 200kg, trailer is "C" channel
so might think about visiting some friends down there.

Do you have a contact number by any chance.