PDA

View Full Version : Weird find in mackay

shincism1
06-03-2013, 09:11 PM
Hey. Was fishing the basset basin in mackay week or so ago on low tide and came across 3 of these dead on the sand. One had its head cut off. Basset basin is few ks up from the mouth. A spearo mate of mine said it sorta looked like a whaler shark. They were the size of big catfish that we get up here after rain. Maybe 60cm+ or something?

Is this a common thing? T
Might stop wading in the water if so.. Haha

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/03/06/vu7ataza.jpg

tunaticer
07-03-2013, 07:01 PM
Plenty of those little fellows in the water all year around, personally I would not be worried about sharing the water with them. I would be more worried about the snapping logs you guys have.
I don't like finding sharks and rays that have been killed off for fun and wasted though.......really makes my blood boil.

shincism1
07-03-2013, 07:27 PM
So what type of shark is it?

marto78
07-03-2013, 07:28 PM
Bull shark

MudRiverDan
08-03-2013, 01:24 AM
Nose looks too pointy to be a bullie.

tunaticer
08-03-2013, 05:03 PM
I would call it for a little whaler.

Lancair
08-03-2013, 05:31 PM
I reckon it's a Bull shark. The fin slots/splits (giving that free trail edge to the back of the fin) esp on 2nd dorsal fin give it away. Whaler's have a smaller 2nd dorsal and no slots in fins.

shincism1
08-03-2013, 07:52 PM
Ok cool. I think I bigger one of these smashed my line a number of months ago. Spooled me before I could even think to snap the line. Only had a symetre 1000 and 8lb line... Sucks of tehy were caught and left to die. Can you eat shark like this? I have no idea about sharks

ben_460
09-03-2013, 08:14 AM
I caught a bull shark once and decided to try one out, we bleed it and iced it up. skinned and filleted, we ate it fresh and it was good. I wouldn't go out of my way to catch them but if my eskie was empty and I landed one I would keep it.

A mate told me to soak the fillets in milk which we did. not sure what difference that made as i didn't eat any that weren't milk soaked to compare.

MudRiverDan
09-03-2013, 06:09 PM
I caught a bull shark once and decided to try one out, we bleed it and iced it up. skinned and filleted, we ate it fresh and it was good. I wouldn't go out of my way to catch them but if my eskie was empty and I landed one I would keep it.

A mate told me to soak the fillets in milk which we did. not sure what difference that made as i didn't eat any that weren't milk soaked to compare.
yeah I soak squid in milk.

It's ok, though I find hot clean oil and a great crumb and batter recipe (not burnt) to be the decider (assuming it has been prepped properly after catch).

Milk has some enzyme in it that softens the fish, kind of a natural tenderiser.

Probably had more in it in the days of yesteryear when milk was not so processed,

Dan