PDA

View Full Version : Sealed bearing unit

Houndslair
06-03-2013, 06:18 PM
Quintrex advertise their trailers as having a sealed bearing unit. Are these any different to the marine bearings most trailers have.

johncar
06-03-2013, 06:41 PM
Haven't heard of any special sealed bearing unit and keep my ear pretty close to the ground with that sort of thing. Will have to check it out.

TheRealAndy
06-03-2013, 08:10 PM
Would be interesting to see how a sealed bearing performs on a boat trailer. Bring on the popcorn.

Noelm
07-03-2013, 07:01 AM
I guess in a way, all wheel bearings are sealed, the quality and longevity of the seal is debatable though.

SunnyCoastMark
07-03-2013, 07:34 AM
News to me as well, and I've been in the industry for quite a while. Non of the reps I've spoken to have tried to sell us any either...........

If they are anything like your car wheel bearings which are mostly sealed units these days - the whole hub would have to be redesigned. This would make them expensive indeed. Can't imagine Telwater going to a great deal of extra expense on their trailers?

Not to mention the fact that you wouldn't be able to purchase spares easily like we can now. - Maybe that's their game??

Curious.......

Noelm
07-03-2013, 07:47 AM
so then... a "standard" wheel bearing on a trailer consists of a rear "SEAL" and bearing (well two actually) and an outer cap or bearing buddy which has a sprung loaded "SEAL" is this not a sealed bearing? don't know if Telwater have something secret, or whether they are just advertising something everyone has as being special.

Noelm
07-03-2013, 08:03 AM
OK, just did a "google" and it seems they have a normal old bearing with a bearing buddy and a plastic/rubber cap on the bearing buddy, so... unless someone can find some more in depth info (or maybe even call Telwater or a dealer) then it is nothing new.

johncar
07-03-2013, 09:21 AM
That sounds about right Noelm

Jarrah Jack
07-03-2013, 09:39 AM
It may well be "new" to Telwater: To have a seal that seals.

SunnyCoastMark
07-03-2013, 11:23 AM
It may well be "new" to Telwater: To have a seal that seals.

Maybe they have changed to marine seals?

But even with those - moisture/water can and does find it's way in over time. Regular maintenance is the key

tunaticer
07-03-2013, 06:54 PM
It could be as simple as a machined shoulder on the shaft for the seal to effectively use.