PDA

View Full Version : Teewah Beach Conditions ATM

Slider
06-03-2013, 01:47 PM
Couple of adventurous trips into Tewantin from Teewah yesterday and today. The rocks haven't been too much of a problem until they became covered in foam. Was a case of using memory to follow the path over the rocks with 2 - 3 feet of foam over them and hope like hell the memory is good. Or take the low road and hope a set doesn't come in and swamp the vehicle. Can't see rocks under the water and foam on the low road which makes this route treacherous also. Is 6 or more patches of rock between Teewah and the 3rd cut that can all be interesting.
Pics were taken at low tide this morning.

Lindsay

Paul H
06-03-2013, 03:41 PM
And that was at low tide !!!!!! Bloody Hell.............

Slider
07-03-2013, 07:45 AM
Pics - High tide this morning and the build up of sand(foredunes) since the 70s that is still 10 - 15 metres wide in most places. The taller dune at the right of the pic with trees on it is the dune proper, which is where the surf was coming in to in the 70s. Can recall waves breaking against that dune in '73 or '74 and the rocks being far more extensive and further out of the sand. Was fun in a VW. So the reality is that this erosion is nothing new and has been equally as bad several times during the 80s and 90s and nearly as bad over the last decade.

The Cruiser (pic) is parked in Teewah after running in to the rocks in front at speed the other night. Is a common occurrence and used to be particularly common on State of Origin nights when campers from up the beach would go to the Cooroibah pub to watch the game. They're hard to see at night through a salt and rum haze. Has been some serious results and this guy was lucky.

QPWS tell me that they don't have the authority to close the beach as has been reported. They are looking at avenues to possibly do so, but at this stage are issuing vehicle and camping permits.

Just_chips
07-03-2013, 08:08 AM
Just passed this on to a mate who was talking about going up this weekend and asked me if I'd heard what the beach was like. Very timely, thanks.

Slider
07-03-2013, 08:47 AM
If we were to get a swell from Sandra then might be a bit ordinary on the weekend - though looks like this south easter is going to hang in whatever happens with Sandra. Rocks themselves aren't a problem (for semi-experienced drivers) if you can see them. Without more rain, the foam could be mostly gone by the weekend anyway - just won't be able to travel more than an hour either side of low with any swell on. Would be less foam further north as less fresh in the surf - Freshwater Rd would be an easy way of getting to the camping area.

Will be some good gutters to fish when things settle down.

Paul H
10-03-2013, 04:36 PM
Slider, would love to hear an update when you next head back to the beach.

Slider
11-03-2013, 06:18 AM
No worries Paul.

Foam was pretty well gone by Friday which has made travel infinitely easier. Rocks from the 3rd cut to Teewah are extensive, but not difficult to get over or around providing travel is no more than 2hrs maximum either side of low. I'm told Rainbow has water up to the dunes at low tide - Freshwater Rd is going to be busy at Easter.
Was a bit of traffic on the beach yesterday which caused slow travel in having to wait for vehicles coming the opposite direction through each rocky patch - some of which take a little while to get through. Easter will be a nightmare in this sense and especially in front of Teewah - though I'm thinking that it could be worth packing an esky and spectating from the dunes. Police doing RBTs here might have to take on traffic direction as well.

Gutters are starting to form and is bream, tarwhine and dart in most, but legal fish are in the minority. Few choppers being taken on mullet baits for bream.

Paul H
12-03-2013, 06:10 AM
Slider,hi and thanks. i have a Prado 3000, with slightly higher springs and rely don't get to Teewah and Bribie as much as we should or could. Whilst we get over to Moreton once a year and camp on the eastern beach our sand driving is limited and as still relatively inexperienced beach drivers your posts and advice is great. Many thanks, keep it coming. Paul

aerordauto
12-03-2013, 08:12 PM
hello slider thanks for the info about teewah, if possible can u put up some low tide photos maybe before easter please.
i am thinking about going up for easter but need to take a 5m poptop van.
much appreciated thanks mark

Slider
15-03-2013, 06:00 PM
A few pics of this afternoon's low. Quite a few vehicles coming through without any problems incl those towing camp trailers. Get's a bit ordinary of you miss the tide though - pics 120 & 122.

mowerman
15-03-2013, 06:25 PM
Hi Lindsay.
Great photos.

The last one. Was that the track cut by the netters many years ago?

I remember a mate talking about it.

Rod

Slider
15-03-2013, 07:22 PM
Rod, the track in the pic is in front of Teewah and has gradually been excavated by Council machinery over the years to provide access for Teewah landowners - the soft lot that we are. It's possible that the track to which you refer is the now overgrown track that used to go between Teewah and the 3rd cut just behind the dune proper and enter the beach at the northern side of Teewah where the Cootharaba walking trail begins. I don't actually know who cut that track and assumed it was associated with sand mining - it's been overgrown for 30 years. Haven't heard of anyone other than Council knocking the tops off the rocks to improve access, but not out of the realms.

mowerman
15-03-2013, 10:21 PM
Thanks Lindsay.

The mate grew up at Tin Can.
There was mention of the netters taking to the coffee rock with axes and crowbars at some stage.
May have been in front of Rainbow.

Rod

Slider
16-03-2013, 06:03 AM
Likely that they tried at Rainbow and Teewah Rod. I know that the rocks were a major problem for netters and wormers and that it was common practice for them to load up with boards to assist getting over them. Wormers often used motor bikes when the beach was bad.
Any tracks that were cut in the 60s or 70s would still be under the foredunes that didn't exist then and the tracks being used now would only have been cut after about '82. Of course, in the mid to late 80s the foredunes became wide enough for vehicles to drive on top of, but the cliffs are too steep for anyone to get up there atm - which is a good thing as vehicles inevitably roll off the foredunes as one less than sober Teewahrian managed last Easter.

GBC
16-03-2013, 06:38 AM
Bringing back some fun memories.

I heard from the ex keepers at Sandy Cape Lighthouse that they carried a genset and jackhammer to get back through Nth Ngkala in times of need, hence the window sill deep track through the rock there when its uncovered.

There once was an emergency access track cut into Teewah via the airstrip and the swamp - Lindsay will remember it. We tried to run it on motorbikes in the 90's - didn't end well in the swamp for us ;). Came in to the back of the dump?

Slider
16-03-2013, 08:05 AM
Am thinking GBC that the track you took on the bikes would be the 'Telstra track' that supplied phone to Teewah in the late 80s and then also power in about 2002. Skirts the swamps between Teewah and behind the 3rd cut - comes out at Teewah at the dump - which is now just green waste. Many here are wanting this gated track which is semi maintained to be able to be used by landowners in emergencies or when the beach is difficult - but when the beach is difficult, the swamps tend to be over the track. I often run this track and it is currently under a couple of feet of water in places and loaded with red belly blacks.

The original 'emergency' track, which was possibly cut during WW2 as there was a look out tower built on the dunes where the rocks south of Teewah are, but could also have been cut by sand miners in the 60s, was just in behind the dune proper. It entered Teewah at the north eastern end and came out where the sand mining depot was at the 3rd cut - the remnant tailings having only just in the last 2 years been removed and exported to China. We took this track after being stranded in Teewah for an extra week in '73 or '74 and it was getting overgrown then. Last walked along it in the late 80s and it was hard to find and is completely covered in mostly lantana now.

These days we have a helipad for emergencies.

GBC
16-03-2013, 10:29 AM
Sounds about right Lindsay. It was pretty well non existent by the end of the 90's. I suppose it was remade when the power came through. What are your thoughts about having road access? Double edged sword really. I havent had much to do with the place since the late 90's.
The Perrins (octagon house in stargazer st) had a photo of their old Land Rover on the track when it was first put in - there was a log bridge over the creek.

Slider
16-03-2013, 12:52 PM
I recall the Perrins, but didn't know them well.

The main problem with having an inland access track is that there is no disincentive for Council to close the beach south of Teewah - as can potentially happen when the rocks are difficult. No track means that Council must keep the beach open for Teewah landowners - and everyone else. Mind you, I can't see the deamalgamated Noosa Council ever having the funds required to upgrade the track anyway.
So no - not in favour of any sort of inland track to Teewah.

Slider
19-03-2013, 09:36 AM
I see a meeting taking place this morning at the rocks south of Teewah between QPWS and Tewantin Police. The subject for discussion would be whether to close the beach for Easter or not. Will post any info as it comes to hand.

Slider
26-03-2013, 05:24 AM
Looks like the beach will stay open for Easter.
Rocks have improved substantially with sand coming back on to the beach and saw any number of trailers and a few caravans come through over the weekend. Some drivers were having a little trouble because they took poor lines but most were doing it easy. Travel is still best up to 2 hours either side of low - when everyone will be travelling which is certain to cause severe congestion both around the rocks and on Freshwater Rd.

Lot of people fishing and most are finding small bream, dart, whiting and flathead. Most fish are undersized and have seen quite a few illegal fish being kept. Tailor are scarce but there is the occasional chopper to be found. Surf south of about Red Canyon turned brown with algae on Saturday but was a little better yesterday and will hopefully clean up with a burst of south east wind today and tomorrow. D.I. lagoon has been thoroughly swept by nets over the last month and the last sweeping (last week) produced nothing. No sign of pelagic activity and the only birds working are seagulls sorting through the debris patches. Hopefully this will change this week.

MinimumChips
25-04-2013, 05:36 PM
Hi, just wanted to find out about beach conditions ATM. Thinking of a day trip early next week. Hope someone has been getting around!! Cheers. Mat

Slider
26-04-2013, 03:17 PM
Beach is good - no dramas getting along on anything other than near full tide. Lots of sand accumulated around/in the rocks which any 4wd could easily cope with.
Busy today with a fair ol eugarie slaughter happenin. Is a few fish being caught but quality is poor.

MinimumChips
26-04-2013, 04:39 PM
Thanks Slider, I won't be takin a rod; just the in-laws. Have not been up in a couple years and changed vehicle to a parthfinder so should be fun.