PDA

View Full Version : Boston Whaler vs Grady White

Burnsy74
05-03-2013, 07:59 PM
I imported a Robalo last year from the US and although I really love it... Have been fortunate to be in a situation to upgrade. I really like both boats but are chasing some feedback from anyone on each brand

wrxhoon
05-03-2013, 08:11 PM
Both great boats, both hand laid F/G, it depends on what size you want .
You can get a Grady 228G that is under 2.5 mtrs wide, you can't with BW. If you don't care or looking for a bigger boat then 6 the one half a dozen the other. keep in mind both boats over 23' are going to be over the magic 3.5 T with fuel and gear. I have the GW 228G, great boat about 3000 or a bit over on ally trailer, heaps of cockpit space and45 knts with a 250 Optimax. 226 is the same boat with open transom, I'm not a fan of open transoms, I prefer a bracket.

Burnsy74
05-03-2013, 08:37 PM
Great to know mate I am looking in the 20-22 foot range and the fact that is under width takes so much of the crap out of it... I had a run in a 18ft Grady White and even at that size the hull was pretty awesome...I know it's a split hair between them just trying to get some ideas

my v16c
05-03-2013, 09:50 PM
Burnsy
From a practical point of view, towing a boat and trailer under 2.5m wide can make all the difference to when you can legally tow your boat...at least here in Qld.... even if you have a permit to tow oversize, certain public holiday times restrict you from travelling. I'd agree with hoon....Grady White would be perfect...well built quality product which retains great resale value. On the cheaper end I don't mind the Trophy 2102 or a 2052...under 2.5m wide and good value for money....
Cheers;D My V16C

Burnsy74
06-03-2013, 06:29 AM
This is a big question for me... In NSW with more US imports... Are people just happy to ignore the oversize rules?? Will it take a big accident with a boat to change it...I was at the interclub game fishing tournament last few weekends at least 50 oversize trailer boats not one sign???

LittleSkipper
06-03-2013, 06:38 AM
Does the towing width limit apply to being under 2.5mt, dead smack on 2.5mt or both?

rhodesey
06-03-2013, 12:11 PM
Hi
My Boston Whaler 235 Conquest weighs in at 3.2 tonne on a Peterson aluminium trailer with about 300 liters of fuel. Width ways the boat it self is 2.59 wide the trailer is 2.5.
I have had the boat a couple of years now and reckon its a great bit of gear, the finish and standard options are among the best. A very stable and safe boat.

ozynorts
06-03-2013, 12:28 PM
Does the towing width limit apply to being under 2.5mt, dead smack on 2.5mt or both?
The Qld Transport website states 2.5m max. http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/~/media/Safety/Vehicle%20standards%20and%20modifications/Loads%20and%20towing/Projecting%20loads/Pdf_projecting_loads_brochure.pdf
So it can be 2.5m but any more and it needs signs. I think Boat Hog's striper is 2.59 or something like that and he needs signs.

wrxhoon
06-03-2013, 05:03 PM
This is a big question for me... In NSW with more US imports... Are people just happy to ignore the oversize rules?? Will it take a big accident with a boat to change it...I was at the interclub game fishing tournament last few weekends at least 50 oversize trailer boats not one sign???

Same here mate , I was there as well, What a washout!!! Did you fish on Sunday? So many over width boats not one flag or sign , I even saw a Berty 26, no flags

Ozynorts, This is not just QLD regs, it is Australia wide , max width of any vehicle is 2.5 mtrs , ( some exemptions) not 1 mm over 2.5, other that mirrors, clearance lights and tie downs. Load can exceed that but then you need permit/ flags lights etc.. and restrictions on roads and times this is state dependent.

Burnsey,
If you are looking for a WA the GW 208 and the seafarer 226/228 are under 2.5 mtrs wide, like My V16C said Trophy 2002/2102 ( same boat renamed at 2007) is another option under 2.5 mtrs , much cheaper than GW and BW but not in the same league, still a good boat, not hand laid f/g, served me well for the last 4.5 years.

snapperdan
06-03-2013, 06:11 PM
for a legal width usa cc have a look at a competition 25. Its the old original contender 25 hull. They seem to be very popular in south florida. Lot of boat for the dollars as bw and gw certainly charge a premium for their brand.

im waiting for tax season then i think this is it

e.

build thread http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/415893-competition-25-build.html
fuel numbers http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/409217-new-competition-25-pics-part-2-updated-loaded-numbers.html

stolen from tht "loa including bracket is about 28 ft. the boat is 25 long and the bracket about 2-3 ft long. i think mine is 30 overall with the boat, bracket and engine all added in.

the beam is 8-2 (2.49m)

standard fuel is 180 g , freshwater is 30 g

under deck hatches vary from build to build. standard is 6, i have 7. livewells vary as well. you can get up to three fairly large ones in the boat if you want.

3-4 boxes are insulated and they do hold ice well. size of the boxes in the front of the boat varies depending on what the customer wants. bigger boxes forward means you carry less fuel and or freshwater.

one large bilge access in the rear and two forward in deck storage boxes. the two forward boxes are relatively dry. they are guttered and have gaskets.

all boxes drain to the bilge.

the boat isnt stern heavy with twin f150s. that is a very popular setup.

i think your gonna be less money with the competition.

i have built two of them and i would build another one in a second.

i just prefer the single 300 over twins. cheaper, less maintenance, better on fuel, and a bit faster"

dry weight 3200lbs

loaded weight on trailer (boat rigged with twin optis full of fuel) 7700lbs (3492.66 kg)

deadrise 24.5

Burnsy74
07-03-2013, 03:39 PM
Hey WXHoon
Yes we fished the Sunday for zeros... But luckily for the tournaments my good make has a 48 OBrien... I believe one of the best game boats bar none....

Yes I have found 2 older GW 208 around 2002 has anyone ever heard of rot problem in a Grady ???

I'm so jealous of the 235 BW Conquest I just can't get my head around towing it within regulation in NSW... No public holidays no night flags etc etc or no insurance!!

wrxhoon
07-03-2013, 08:23 PM
We didn't bother going out, she was very wasn't nice . We watched the boats go out and come back from Tomaree headland.
Any boat could have rot in the transom, depends on how many unsealed holes are there, people put holes to mount stuff on them and don't bother to seal them. A 10 yo boat is getting on a bit , I would have it inspected with a water meter and stay away from any boat with bottom paint. Are you planing to replace the engine? At that age she will have a 2 banger Yammie around the 150- 200 hp.
If you can afford to go the 228 , they are a very roomy 22 footer and they have a full transom, ally bracket finished so well you would think it's F/G until you look at the bottom seam weld.