PDA

View Full Version : Slotted Bollard No Pin

honda900
05-03-2013, 02:00 PM
Does anyone know why you might use this bollard instead of the bollard with the pin?
and why is there a slot for a pin in the centre, but both ends are filled?
(appart from boat manufacturers being tight)

Slotted Bollard (No Pin)

https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?cat=156&item=15980&intAbsolutePage=1

Regards
HOnda

Dan5
05-03-2013, 02:18 PM
Chain slot mate,,,,just drop the required chain size in and it's locked off.

Dan

honda900
05-03-2013, 02:25 PM
So what happens when you hit a wave.. Chain removes itself from slot?

Regards
Honda.

Dan5
05-03-2013, 03:06 PM
Won't it be hitched off like you do with rope?.......thats their intention i'm pretty sure.

Dan

Rip it up
05-03-2013, 04:46 PM
Angle the base to lay the bollard back a few degrees.

dnej
05-03-2013, 05:10 PM
And dont think that the chain wont jump out, because it does.
I replaced mine with the pin type
David

Prowl n Wolf
05-03-2013, 05:14 PM
g'day honda, i've got one on the sig. my maxwell anchor winch recommends tying off anchor rope to a bollard rather than have the stress on the winch. like dan 5 said just hitch it off. as rip it up said its angled back a few degrees. regards, tony.

TheRealAndy
05-03-2013, 06:01 PM
Chain through slot and a turn around the bollard.

Whilst its probably bullshit, I was always told never to lock of a anchor cable, be it rope or chain. When I use rope, three turns on the bollard no half hitch. Oddly enough, when sailing on the endeavour we were not allowed to lock anything off either. Its just one of those things that has become habit.

Lancair
05-03-2013, 06:13 PM
I assume you guys are talking about using this split bollard to retain the anchor whilst underway. IMHO I wouldnt. Id stow the anchor away safely or if that wasnt an option, secure it in the bowsprit with a short line from the anchor eye to the bollard, locked off with a half hitch.

Agree there, Real Andy, I too was taught to never lock off an anchor warp (assuming at anchor at sea), sheets, vangs or outhauls (halyard's were an exception), BUT I was taught to do 2 complete turns around, under the horns of the bollard/cleat, before doing the cross wraps. Only time we were allowed to use a lock hitch was on a mooring line to a jetty etc.

stevej
05-03-2013, 07:22 PM
you can buy both types so apart from the obvious price difference, a lot of people dont carry their anchors on the bow but in the anchor well or tub milk crate etc

Spin
05-03-2013, 07:40 PM
Maybe if you get the rest of it, it might help
https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?item=15988&search123=Bollard+&intAbsolutePage=1
just so you can lock it or unlock it

bigjimg
05-03-2013, 07:51 PM
I have the pin in mine and it goes in when the anchor is snug in the bow sprit.I have also drilled out the anchor to allow the bow sprit pin to lock the anchor to it when pulled up snug.Nothing can jump off, fall out when charging into a head sea or when on the trailer and hit a nicely formed Queensland pot hole.
The split is very good at securely tying off a rope without locking it.Jim

honda900
05-03-2013, 07:56 PM
Ok, sort of get the premise that its a hangover from the olden days, just have some concerns of the anchor coming loose on a Trailer boat in some rough stuff (unexpected not being fun). I figured it might be for a winch type scenario.

the new boat has a bow sprit that holds an anchor off the front that is not meant to be stored in a locker without being thread through the bow sprit;

DNEJ is right, I cant see a way in which the chain wouldnt slip move or jump out under the right circumstances, so I locked the chain in with an Occy strap, think I might just replace the bollard.

Thanks

Regards
Honda.

Spin
05-03-2013, 08:07 PM
Its filed in that way so that if you use the right size chain it wont put stress on the pin and break it
And it is easy to get the pin undone.or to put the pin in
The pin only stops the chain from jumping out.

honda900
05-03-2013, 08:26 PM
Spin,

My guess is (could be wrong) but the use the same base mould for both the version with the pin and the version without, thats why the centre is slotted for the pin version.

REgards
honda.

dnej
05-03-2013, 08:42 PM
I had a non pinned type. Coming home from fishing on the Tweed one night, it happened. The chain jumped out of the bollard. I was lucky that I see it go, and was able to cut the motor.
Would have been nasty at full chat.
David

honda900
05-03-2013, 08:47 PM
yes I have some concerns over the same event.

regards
HOnda

ozscott
05-03-2013, 09:20 PM
Honda attached is my new set up. I designed it so that when the anchor is hard up against the roller and pin above it, the anchor can be moved down and the pin in the slotted bollard rammed home. It required grinding of the bollard to allow this...its all mm precise and it works (read a lot of mucking around and measuring many times as it was going together... - I also had to ensure that it had plenty of clearance from the hull v tip of anchor).

Cheers

http://s1074.beta.photobucket.com/user/landroverphile/media/20130117_182431_zps70a21c68.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2