PDA

View Full Version : how much anchor rope?

Nicko_Cairns
04-03-2013, 03:28 PM
Hi,

I'm looking at anchoring at 60m but I've only got a 50m rope at the moment, so I'm guessing I'd need a minimum of 75m?

Only looking as a calm day/night option as I usually drift most spots.

Cheers.

backlash08
04-03-2013, 03:32 PM
at least double and really triple the depth

cobiaman
04-03-2013, 03:32 PM
Probably more like 120 metres i would think

STUIE63
04-03-2013, 04:02 PM
I normally use 3 x depth as a rule

lethal098
04-03-2013, 04:18 PM
on a dead calm night you would prob get away with the 75 odd metres,

I wouldnt be trusting it in any type of current or wind though,

rosco1974
04-03-2013, 04:25 PM
around 120-150mtrs mate...

Nicko_Cairns
04-03-2013, 06:09 PM
ok thanks guys, I did some research and a lot of people recommend double with at least 10' of chain, others say triple with a boat length of chain at least, so i'll go double and round it up to 150m, just that's a lot of rope for a small boat (4.8m poly), so hopefully I can get it into an old milk container or something under the floor..

so I guess as this will only be during really calm stuff that I'll go with the double and 10' for now, I mostly drift anyway so this is just for the odd occasion probably for an overnighter and can't see myself going deeper than 50-60m very often..

STUIE63
04-03-2013, 06:22 PM
Nicko just get a 100m length and a 50 with an eye in both ends of the hundred if you ever need it it is there to use with a shackle. Just make sure you cable tie the shackle

Pazz01
04-03-2013, 06:42 PM
Hey nicko

We fish pretty regularly in 60-70 meters and we have about 120m of rope with the boat length of chain. If there is a lot of current and a bit of wind we use it all, as the rope gets a big belly in it a good portion of it will lay flat on the bottom (or very close to it) with the current pulling on it.

Cheers
Pazz

bigjimg
04-03-2013, 08:21 PM
I would get at least 150m of 10mm.Measure out 10m on your driveway and spray die mark flouro every 10m onto/into your rope.Don't include your anchor and chain just start at the shackle from the chain, then it is easy to count off the depth and is fool proof. Jim

Nicko_Cairns
04-03-2013, 08:54 PM
some good info there thanks fellas, i like the 10m idea is it deckie-proof? ;) just kidding my deckies are great.

nidrac
05-03-2013, 10:19 AM
One other thing that others havent mentioned is it will deppend on what the bottom is like. found areas that are hard gravel type of bottom harder for the anchor to dig into than sand, we have one spot with lots of scattered structure so can often get away with 100m of rope in around 65m of water but then have another in 60m of water than needs a min of 150m of rope out unless it is milkpond calm. stuie63 has the right idea with the spliced loops but if you use a float to get your anchor up the shackle may hook on it, i use this method when diving (will use a thicker section at the end if anchored on ledges etc as we've had it nearly rub through before) but just go a loop to loop join.

Noelm
05-03-2013, 11:01 AM
If you actually want the anchor to hold, then double the depth is not going to be enough, it wil grab and hold at times, but 3 times the depth is the minimum for good safe anchoring, especially if ther is any swell, wind or current.

johncar
05-03-2013, 11:19 AM
3 Times the depth for me too, I don't like dragging
Specially if I just pulled up on the fish, can stuff it up if having to reanchor. Always got at least 300 metres in the bin, but only use 6 - 8 mm in the deep, it's cheap and takes up little space.

Spin
05-03-2013, 09:08 PM
Just remember if you are motoring away to pull the anchor up
through a floaty thing
don't get the rope rapped around the prop or it can have the effect of a winch, propeller rope?
and pull on the motor and break the transom
your motor will fall in the river
Very bad ?
Everybody knows that already just a reminder .

johncar
05-03-2013, 09:21 PM
through a floaty thing
don't get the rope rapped around the prop or it can have the effect of a winch, propeller rope?
Very bad ?

Lol. That's why I only use light rope, I like the idea that the anchor line will break before it breaks the boat or pulls me under!

ozscott
05-03-2013, 09:26 PM
Funny how we are all different...I like the idea of the biggest strongest rope I can get my dirty hands on.

Cheers

cormorant
05-03-2013, 10:01 PM
Funny how we are all different...I like the idea of the biggest strongest rope I can get my dirty hands on.

Cheers

Day to day for me light rope usually nylon as it lays better and doesn't get as much current cheapish tripped anchor and good length chain. Rope wears out every few years and cheapish to replace.

Strange but I loose less anchors with cheap ones than good ones over the years .............hmmmmm Maybe my wallet just remembers the couple of good ones I lost early on anchoring on structure not up current of it. .

I always have on board the heavy quality anchor, good chain and heavy rope for overnighters and emergency

Have to say that even thin nylon rope has enough stretch and strength to pull the bow down but with self draining decks and a cabin it has never been a issue

The warning for the novice is never to tie it off to anywhere other than the bow. I still see guys do it driving away tied to the stern and one day they will become a stastistic.

ozscott
05-03-2013, 10:21 PM
I was using 11mm medium lay nylon but have moved to 11mm 8 plait nylon for better locker lay with the windlass.

I have 2 spares on board and extra ropes and chain to suit. I agree about stern anchoring except lunch picking at rear onto the beach with main anchor out.

Cheers

Mr_Bean
05-03-2013, 10:42 PM
Don't skimp.

Treat it as your life line, one day it might be.

Darren

Nicko_Cairns
05-03-2013, 11:07 PM
except my motor will fall into shark and stinger infested offshore waters :o that's an oh shit moment..

through a floaty thing
Very bad ?

Smithy
06-03-2013, 06:28 AM
100m of 8mm will fit in a milk crate. I still use 8mm for less drag on my 25' boat.

cormorant
06-03-2013, 12:05 PM
Really depends on what the budget will stretch to and if you have to have the 8 plait to make it lay properly on a winch or in the winch bin. 12mm 3000kg $400 for 100m. Ch smith Very nice rope,high breaking strain and also stretch that takes a lot of shock loads out of the equation which means extra holding power.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?173565-8-plait-Nylon-Rope/page2

edit Also we tie up the "excess" rope in the bottom of the crate / well so it doesn't get in the road or tangle with some 4mm bungie. Easy to release if we need the extra length but 99% of the time just sits neat and tidy and very compact so the rest has more room. .

ozscott
06-03-2013, 02:05 PM
Really depends on what the budget will stretch to and if you have to have the 8 plait to make it lay properly on a winch or in the winch bin. 12mm 3000kg $400 for 100m. Ch smith Very nice rope,high breaking strain and also stretch that takes a lot of shock loads out of the equation which means extra holding power.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?173565-8-plait-Nylon-Rope/page2

Very true mate. For me the nylon 3 strand was excellent and had a very high braking strain. The problem was as it stiffened with age it was woeful in the locker and was getting knots. Its a slow route up the front in my boat and I often have my youngish kids on board and anchoring at the Pin etc near structure needed a windlass. For me, even though expensive, a good windlass, anchor and rode set up is a must - I would trade a lot of gear for it (ie not updating my sounder every year or two or whatever).

Cheers

Nicko_Cairns
06-03-2013, 03:37 PM
hmmm that could make things interesting as I can only fit one milkcrate in for rope, as with rods eskys safetygear etc my little 4.8m boat becomes fairly cramped. Maybe I'll just drift the deeper stuff and anchor in more shallow stuff.

100m of 8mm will fit in a milk crate. I still use 8mm for less drag on my 25' boat.

Jeremy
06-03-2013, 04:27 PM
Some of the suggestions of length required on here are way over the top for a 4.8 m boat. Suprising how little you need for a given depth as long as you have a least a boat length of chain. Unless there is strong current - and then you wouldn't be anchoring anyway - 100 m is heaps for 60 m deep. I am talking fishing here. Anchoring for safety or in a blow is another thing. 100 m will fit easy in a milk crate. Keep an extra 50 m in the side pocket or under floor with spliced loops on all ends and D-shackles for connecting if required.

stevemid
06-03-2013, 07:19 PM
I'm with Cormorant & Mr. Bean. Your anchor is usually used for fishing. However, in the event of an emergency, w/ engine disabled, blowing a gale it is the last thing between you and the rocks.

hakuna
07-03-2013, 12:51 PM
I was using 80lb braid at 50 fathoms and got it caught on the bottom, could not break it off, tied it to the front of the boat and kept fishing.
Best anchor I ever had. Nice tub of fish too.

Pazz01
07-03-2013, 01:45 PM
I was using 80lb braid at 50 fathoms and got it caught on the bottom, could not break it off, tied it to the front of the boat and kept fishing.
Best anchor I ever had. Nice tub of fish too.

But that is pretty expensive rope for a once off job.

I did a search on ebay before and for 110 or 220m spools were relatively cheap. In the market for some new rope soon.

Pazz

Malcolm W
07-03-2013, 02:56 PM
When I did my Coxwain the suggested rope lengths were,
3.1 calm seas
5.1 moderate seas
7.1 rough seas

Have a look at the Sarca website, even more dramatic. These are the sugested lengths for their anchor holding power.
2.1 10% holding
3.1 40% holding
5.1 70% holding
7.1 85% holding
10.1 100% holding

Sarcas seems to be a bit over the top, possibly ar#e covering if something goes wrong. At 3.1 they are saying their anchor will only hold at 40% of its capacity?
I adhere to the top one minimum of 3.1+ with plenty of chain, but thats mostly diving.

Boat Hog
07-03-2013, 04:18 PM
Mate ..... don't listen to any of these blowhards.

You will be fine with the 50 M of rope you allready have!

You will of course need to add about 130 M of chain to that!!

Glad to be of help,