PDA

View Full Version : Outboard recommendations - 30 - 50hp - 2007-current

matty_j
04-03-2013, 10:15 AM
Hi,

Just chasing recommendations or outboards to avoid.

I'm looking at buying a 14 foot runabout up to around 6 years old.

I'm just wondering about people's or mechanics experience regarding which outboards are good and which ones to avoid. I'm leaning towards a 4 stroke with regular service history but haven't really decided yet.

I've heard of the mercury lightening xr having some problems and the yamaha 2 cylinder motors might be working too hard.

Any suggestions or experience would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Matt

Noelm
04-03-2013, 12:04 PM
Don't know where you heard about the Mercury Lightning having problems!, but in that HP there is a pile of motors to look at, 30-50 is a pretty big range, 50 being almost double the 30HP.

patrol50
04-03-2013, 12:46 PM
mate IMHO go with a 4 stroke anything up to 250 hrs just run in - 500 hrs still fine - my rating would be honda suzuki yamaha mercury generally in that order but depends on the motor hp some times e g 70 hp 4 s yam is considered to be excellent - i have had 2 x 60 hp 4 s mercs and both pretty good and the 50 is the same motor - hard to go past a well cared for lightly used 4 s EFI ob i reckon if you find one - probably need to narrow down your HP choice though and what use you have in mind dams / river / estuary 30 - 40 prob fine or esturary / open bays etc 40 - 50 etc better
cheers and good luck