PDA

View Full Version : Sea Shepherd judged to have committed acts of piracy

Owen
03-03-2013, 09:11 AM
The US Court of appeals recently judges that the actions of Sea Shepherd (ramming and attacking Japaneses whaling vessels) is in fact an act of piracy under international law.

OPINION
KOZINSKI,
Chief Judge
"You don’t need a peg leg or an eye patch. When you ram ships; hurl glass containers of acid; drag metal-reinforced ropes in the water to damage propellers and rudders; launch smoke bombs and flares with hooks; and point high-powered lasers at other ships, you are, without a doubt, a pirate, no
matter how high-minded you believe your purpose to be"Read the whole judgement here.
http://cdn.ca9.uscourts.gov/datastore/opinions/2013/03/01/12-35266%20web.pdf

Of course now that the pirates have Bob Brown as their "leader" they will no doubt get even more crazy and dangerous.

I found it interesting that the US does not recognise Australian sovereignty in the region, but a quick search reveals that in fact only New Zealand, United Kingdom, France & Norway do!

Regardless of your position on whaling, there can be no doubt that recent video footage clealry shows Sea Shepherd has deliberately rammed vessels and endangered the lives of both their own crew and the lives of those on the other vessels.
Bob Brown thinks this is a "citizens arrest" and promotes acts of violence to get your own way when the courts of law don't rule in your favour.
He should be tried for inciting piracy and locked up in the same cell as the master, crew and other participants of the vessells carrying out the piracy.

Owen
03-03-2013, 09:39 AM
Not sure if it's a case of Bob Brown finally finding a group simple minded enough to subscribe to his particular brand of lunacy, of it's Green Peace finally having found someone simple minded enough to champion theirs??

http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2013/s3698983.htm

Lovey80
03-03-2013, 10:57 AM
It sure is an act of piracy. There is no doubt about that. It is only relevant to us what court thinks what, if they recognise that water is ours.

That is not our sovereign region until we are prepared to defend it. So ifwe are too piss weak to enforce our laws in the region, then it is not ours.

pescados
03-03-2013, 12:23 PM
It might be an act of piracy but for how many years has Japan used the excuse of " Scientific Research "
Let's face it, they have fished out there own backyard ( wonder how much longer the dolphin slaughter is going to last)
And now they don't care who's back yard they fish in nor whether or not they wipe out species ?
If it was not for those who put a limit on or stopped whaling, had it not been for those people, than it would not be a problem today as there would be no whales.
Wonder what would happen if the antartic was designated as a marine park ?? Think Japan would take notice ??
ykmv.

Qlder1
03-03-2013, 12:33 PM
Yeah its probly piracy, probly dangerous but at least they have the guts to do what our govt should be doing...

ranga7
03-03-2013, 01:03 PM
I don't care what it is, if i called the shots the Sea Shepard would have scud missiles attached to it and the deckies would carry rocket launchers.

Shark Poker
03-03-2013, 02:21 PM
Who wants to know why so many (traditional) pirates have eye patches?

FishHunter
03-03-2013, 02:46 PM
I don't care what it is, if i called the shots the Sea Shepard would have scud missiles attached to it and the deckies would carry rocket launchers.

If I had my way the Sea Shepherd would have been blown out of the water on its 1st trip along with all the people who try to force their point of view on others.

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Tapatalk HD

cobiaman
03-03-2013, 02:50 PM
If I had my way the Sea Shepherd would have been blown out of the water on its 1st trip along with all the people who try to force their point of view on others.

Yep, im with you on that one

Boat Hog
03-03-2013, 02:52 PM
I just checked on their USA e-store and an 8 x 10 photo of Captain Paul Watson is $6.00. The 5 x 7 photo is $8.00??!

Bloody Pirates!!

bluefin59
03-03-2013, 03:12 PM

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Tapatalk HD. I couldn't agree more myself ,if the Japanese defended themselves and sunk sea shepherd I don't care ...Matt

Shark Poker
03-03-2013, 03:25 PM
Has anybody else actually ate whale?

Funchy
03-03-2013, 03:28 PM
Who wants to know why so many (traditional) pirates have eye patches?

Cmon FatBuoy, give us the lowdown! Got anything to do with seagulls mate?

Shark Poker
03-03-2013, 03:42 PM
When going from the outside top deck, down into the cabin on a bright day , it really often takes a minute or more for your eyesight to re-adjust.
At this point you are useless, even vulnerable.
By swapping the covered/darkened eye patch to cover the other eye, you can speed up your vision transfer and combat work/readiness very quickly.

It is disturbing that anybody would defend a sailboat, but that did used to happen.

Owen
03-03-2013, 04:09 PM
So if the greenies decide that once they've stopped the killing of whales that they should start ramming all boats they think are murdering sea kittens then that's all good?

If the Japanese are breaking the law it's up to the government to prosecute.
If they aren't breaking the law then you're free to lobby government to make it illegal.

Crunchy
03-03-2013, 04:10 PM
Some strongly opposing views here, for my 2 cents I say good on seashepherd for having some balls to stand up and take action on something they believe in....there's not much of that around these days.....just a lot of winging from the sidelines....

FishHunter
03-03-2013, 04:28 PM
Some strongly opposing views here, for my 2 cents I say good on seashepherd for having some balls to stand up and take action on something they believe in....there's not much of that around these days.....just a lot of winging from the sidelines....

Until the extremists start on something you enjoy, like let's say fishing.? Will you have the same point of view when the nutters are sabotaging your boat?
Or your leather shoes etc? Or the fact that you eat meat?

Bruce Micheal
03-03-2013, 05:14 PM
Yep FishHunter I agree!
All anyone has to do is have a look at The Australian Greens web site or FaceBook page!
Not good for any of us who enjoy fishing or those of us who make their living from it!>:(

Captain Seaweed
03-03-2013, 05:31 PM
The way I see it......
I find the Japanese to be a wise cultured group. They eat whale just like others eat Dolphin and others eat very young beef. My Tongan mates say they eat Horse in their homeland. People eat lamb brains and snails, spiders, snakes, crickets, birds, some people even eat after birth! Why should we think we are entitled to be the ones to stop others from doing what they have instilled in their culture beliefs or wants....we dont all want to be the same do we?. Why is it we are so opposed of the Japanese eating whales? With correct management anything can be eaten.

FishHunter
03-03-2013, 05:40 PM
The way I see it......
I find the Japanese to be a wise cultured group. They eat whale just like others eat Dolphin and others eat very young beef. My Tongan mates say they eat Horse in their homeland. People eat lamb brains and snails, spiders, snakes, crickets, birds, some people even eat after birth! Why should we think we are entitled to be the ones to stop others from doing what they have instilled in their culture beliefs or wants....we dont all want to be the same do we?. Why is it we are so opposed of the Japanese eating whales? With correct management anything can be eaten.

I seem to recall that the green landers hunt as many or more whales than the Japanese why are not being harassed?

fin101
03-03-2013, 05:45 PM
Why should we give a toss what some yank court says is my only gripe, wasn't it in our territorial waters? Cultured you say seaweed? they want to kill dolphins because they believe they are eating all the fish, so cultured in fact they have to herd the poor things in to out of the way places to cruelly kill them unseen by others. If our navy wasn't waisting time, fuel, and taxpayers money being a courier service for illegals they would be monitoring our own backyard.

Crunchy
03-03-2013, 05:50 PM
Until the extremists start on something you enjoy, like let's say fishing.? Will you have the same point of view when the nutters are sabotaging your boat?
Or your leather shoes etc? Or the fact that you eat meat?

That's a very long bow to draw...drawing similarities between a country using a loop hole in international law and hunting endangered mammals in an inhumane manner to comparing that with an individual or group damaging another individuals personal property because they don't like their recreational pursuits????

The way I see it......

Yes but lambs, snail, crickets, spiders and snakes etc are not endangered....Would it be OK if I decided I had a liking for koala and went about hunting them, including going into a sanctuary because they were easier to find....according to your argument my defence could be "but I like them"

ranga7
03-03-2013, 05:50 PM
. I couldn't agree more myself ,if the Japanese defended themselves and sunk sea shepherd I don't care ...Matt

Its an Australian boat defending its territory/country from foreign boats illegally fishing in our waters and your on there side? Real aussie..

If they want to do it in there own territory go for gold, not that i like the idea, its illegal to do it here so rack off.

FishHunter
03-03-2013, 06:25 PM
That's a very long bow to draw...drawing similarities between a country using a loop hole in international law and hunting endangered mammals in an inhumane manner to comparing that with an individual or group damaging another individuals personal property because they don't like their recreational pursuits????

Yes but lambs, snail, crickets, spiders and snakes etc are not endangered....Would it be OK if I decided I had a liking for koala and went about hunting them, including going into a sanctuary because they were easier to find....according to your argument my defence could be "but I like them"

That is not a long bow to draw it's exactly the same principal. In fact if I did exactly the same thing to my neighbour who let's say ate puppies I would go to jail.

Captain Seaweed
03-03-2013, 07:12 PM
I dont want to get into a debate about my ideals, its my opinion based on what I have learnt in life so far. I dont like to argue or push my point nor do I need to prove my point, my mind is made up based on what I know. You may disagree but I dont care, thats your opinion and your entitled to it. I would love to try whale!

Captain Seaweed
03-03-2013, 07:16 PM
I think whale jerky would be nice as a snack offshore.

Moonlighter
03-03-2013, 07:30 PM
For me, the whole point is about any group that thinks that they can flaunt the law, put lives and property at real risk, destroy law abiding businesses, and think that all of that is OK because their "cause" is noble and they are "right" and the people they are attacking are "wrong".

Particularly these green groups seem to think thay they can do anything they like and not be held to account.

I am all for peaceful and lawful protests about things that people are passionate about.

But, I cant cop any group taking the law into their own hands, destroying experimental crops, committing acts of piracy, rioting and destroying public and private property because someone insulted their religion, tying themselves to cranes at wharves etc, ramming other boats, trailing steel ropes behind their ships deliberately attempting to damage propellors and rudders and so on.

That sort of stuff flies in the face of things that I thought we Australians value: Respect for other peoples property, religion, rights, businesses, customs......

Want to live in a country that abides by the rule of law? I do. The ends do not justify the means.

These Sea Shepherd people clearly dont want to play by the same rules. They are the ones who should be being criticised. The ones of them that do those things should face the full force of the law. I personally would deal with them harshly as an example to others who want to flaunt the basic fundamental principles that Australian society is built on.

Captain Seaweed
03-03-2013, 07:36 PM
well said Moonlighter.

Shark Poker
03-03-2013, 08:25 PM
I dont want to get into a debate about my ideals, its my opinion based on what I have learnt in life so far. I dont like to argue or push my point nor do I need to prove my point, my mind is made up based on what I know. You may disagree but I dont care, thats your opinion and your entitled to it. I would love to try whale!

Well, the thing about eating whale is that there are many different cuts, coming from such a large mammal. I tried eating some deep fried on a stick, and nearby they were selling sashimi style steaks.

cobiaman
03-03-2013, 08:39 PM
Doesnt it make sense to kill 1x4000kg animal for food rather than 4000x1kg animals?

Captain Seaweed
03-03-2013, 08:45 PM
hell if dolphin didnt have a permanent smile.........there would be a size and bag limit.

cobiaman
03-03-2013, 08:50 PM
I watched whale wars for 1 episode and was hopeing for the sea shephard to sink! They are the biggest bunch of arrogant wankers i have ever watched on tv...

Owen
03-03-2013, 08:52 PM

Yes but lambs, snail, crickets, spiders and snakes etc are not endangered....

Neither are minke or humpback whales.
You should be more concerned about world tuna stocks than current whale hunting practices.

A quick search reveals this data in minke whales.

"Population and conservation status

The IUCN Red List labels the common minke whale as Least Concern.[11] The Antarctic minke whale is listed as Data Deficient.[12]

COSEWIC puts both species in the Not At Risk category [1]. NatureServe lists them as G5 which means the species is secure on global range [2].

In 2012, the Scientific Committee of the International Whaling Commission agreed upon a population estimate of 515,000 for the Antarctic minke stock. [13] The Scientific Committee acknowledged that this estimate is subject to a negative bias because some minke whales would have been outside the surveyable ice edge boundaries."

Moonlighter
03-03-2013, 08:53 PM
Has anybody else actually ate whale?

No. I have been to Japan a couple of times, and stayed in hotels as well as in the homes of Japanese friends. Never saw whale for sale. Was never offered it to eat. Toured the Tokyo fish markets and didnt see any. Went to zillions of shopping centre with The Admiral when we were there and never saw any in the supermarkets. If it was there, it certainly wasnt obvious or conspicuous.

I would prefer if Japan didnt kill whales, but i am not so arrogant as to try to force my views on them. If it is their tradition and culture to eat them, and the ones they target arent endangered, then thats up to them, imo.

Australia risks being labelled as having double standards in this matter too.

Dugong are, from all accounts, endangered or at least at risk. It is illegal to kill them in this country.....

EXCEPT that our Government, recognising traditional cultural practices of the Aboriginal people, (or perhaps being politically far too correct) allows them to hunt, kill and eat these endangered animals under cetrain circumstances.

I have seen with my own eyes Dugong, and for that matter, marine turtles as well, being prepared and eaten in Aboriginal feasts. Was even offered a taste......

Yet, as a nation, we lecture Japan and try to prevent them from doing exactly the same thing with whales. Japanese tradition and custom..... Vs Aboriginal tradition and custom. Apparently it is different, though.....

Look up the definition of hypocracy. I think you might find that, on this issue, as a nation, we might just fit the bill.

Dont forget also, Its not that long ago that we hunted whales in this country. I was looking thru some of my dear departed Dad's slides the other night and found a picture of a huge harpooned humpback whale being pulled up onto a jetty and dragged on tracks towards the processing factory - think it was on the beach in northern NSW, around Byron or Kingscliffe somewhere i think. Yes, not that long ago - 50's or 60's it would have been.

And you cant argue that humpback numbers are rapidly recovering can you! Before long they will be so thick in the water they will be a danger to navigation in the migration season!;)

Mr Squiggles
03-03-2013, 09:02 PM
[QUOTE=Moonlighter;1461931]For me, the whole point is about any group that thinks that they can flaunt the law, put lives and property at real risk, destroy law abiding businesses, and think that all of that is OK because their "cause" is noble and they are "right" and the people they are attacking are "wrong".

QUOTE]

Geez mate, have a good think about what your saying. If it wasn't for the French revolution life wouldn't be like it is now! I don't like Greenies but the whale research thing is the biggest farce going. From some of the comments here I gather that a few people have no problem with Rhinos being killed for the "potent" powder of their crushed horns.

Moonlighter
03-03-2013, 09:17 PM
[QUOTE=Moonlighter;1461931]For me, the whole point is about any group that thinks that they can flaunt the law, put lives and property at real risk, destroy law abiding businesses, and think that all of that is OK because their "cause" is noble and they are "right" and the people they are attacking are "wrong".

QUOTE]
Geez mate, have a good think about what your saying. If it wasn't for the French revolution life wouldn't be like it is now! I don't like Greenies but the whale research thing is the biggest farce going. From some of the comments here I gather that a few people have no problem with Rhinos being killed for the "potent" powder of their crushed horns.

Have a look at your calendar Mr Squiggle. It should say 2013. I would hope society has better ways to deal with things in this day and age.

Mind you, wasn't it the frogs who sorted out the Rainbow Warrior?

Maybe we should follow your approach and get the frogs to sort out Sea Shepherd as well....i'm sure if it was French whaling ships that your green friends were harassing, they would be on the bottom of the ocean, not the surface, by now.

Maybe its you who should think what you are saying?8-)

Tangles
03-03-2013, 09:28 PM
Question of priorities, it always amazes me when the whole media concentrates on a single whale beaching itself on a Sydney beach etc while thousands of kids starve in Africa?, where is Sea Shepherd?, Symbolism?... cut to a TV grab of mum and young daughter crying from the headlands over the young whale but i bet you they will hit the remote and change channel to a reality TV show when and if you cut to kids dying and whack something in the microwave.

..its symbolism at its best or worse depending on your point of view. If all that energy was directed to.. well forget it but you know exactly what im saying..maybe im cyncial and frankly Sea Shepherd is a media fraud. It only serves to highlight symbolism at its most cynical and at its heart is fund raising. The whales come second....from whatever POV you come from

johnverano
03-03-2013, 11:13 PM
while we are on this lets talk about the krill been harvested in our waters and its been done by our own companies , european and american companies , all for its health benefits for us .Soon whales and the whole food chain wont be worried about hunters they will simply just start to starve. At the rate krill is been hervested it wont be long before we start to see the effects on the food chain in the ocean.
who will sea shepherd be after then.

Captain Seaweed
04-03-2013, 05:22 AM
They will then turn to protecting the lonely lesbian seagull

odes20
04-03-2013, 07:36 AM
[QUOTE=Crunchy;1461914]That's a very long bow to draw...drawing similarities between a country using a loop hole in international law and hunting endangered mammals in an inhumane manner to comparing that with an individual or group damaging another individuals personal property because they don't like their recreational pursuits????

Crunchy its about the shortest draw bow available to man. !! Its a dream to think they arnt waiting to finish your fishing as well. All hunting and fishing can be argued to have some inhumane element! even if you are a catch and release exponent. If the Japs towed whales aroung with a cable for half an hour by the gob and then slowly swam and released them there would be an even greater outcry. At least with a harpoon you die quickly.
We just cant have lunatics ruling the assylum!

Ive got a mate going to Japan this week and he swears he wants to find and try some whale meat on a burger with fries. If he gives it the thumbs up I might have a crack at filleting one myself, as Ive seen a few off Cairns lately. :)
As for the Sea Wolf (Sea Shepherd) I think they will eventually get hunted out as well.

Cheers!

honda900
04-03-2013, 05:20 PM
The sea sheppard and bob brown think they have some right to do what they have done. they dont. the Australian warships should sort out Sea sheppard, as they have no right, to do what they are doing, ramming ships and have no mandate from the Australia government to be there at all.

If you watch the ABC video, Bob implies he has been given some right to do what he is doing along with the other american idiot.

If that happend on land, the cops and army would be all over the protestors like a rash.

Right wrong or otherwise, the Japanese have a legal right to harvest the whales, as sanctioned by the world courts.

Regards
HOnda.

FishHunter
04-03-2013, 05:56 PM
[QUOTE=Crunchy;1461914]That's a very long bow to draw...drawing similarities between a country using a loop hole in international law and hunting endangered mammals in an inhumane manner to comparing that with an individual or group damaging another individuals personal property because they don't like their recreational pursuits????

Crunchy its about the shortest draw bow available to man. !! Its a dream to think they arnt waiting to finish your fishing as well. All hunting and fishing can be argued to have some inhumane element! even if you are a catch and release exponent. If the Japs towed whales aroung with a cable for half an hour by the gob and then slowly swam and released them there would be an even greater outcry. At least with a harpoon you die quickly.
We just cant have lunatics ruling the assylum!

Ive got a mate going to Japan this week and he swears he wants to find and try some whale meat on a burger with fries. If he gives it the thumbs up I might have a crack at filleting one myself, as Ive seen a few off Cairns lately. :)
As for the Sea Wolf (Sea Shepherd) I think they will eventually get hunted out as well.

Cheers!

Especially catch and release fishing which is all ready banned in a few countries as they consider it inhumane to subject a fish to that stress and pain for sport.
So don't be too complacent that the nutters won't start on you.

ranga7
04-03-2013, 06:44 PM
Not in Australia they don't.
The sea sheppard and bob brown think they have some right to do what they have done. they dont. the Australian warships should sort out Sea sheppard, as they have no right, to do what they are doing, ramming ships and have no mandate from the Australia government to be there at all.

If you watch the ABC video, Bob implies he has been given some right to do what he is doing along with the other american idiot.

If that happend on land, the cops and army would be all over the protestors like a rash.

Right wrong or otherwise, the Japanese have a legal right to harvest the whales, as sanctioned by the world courts.

Regards
HOnda.

planetzion
04-03-2013, 08:01 PM
not a conservationist by any stretch but if Greenpeace are Pirates then the japanses Fishing Industry is definatley the Mafia

Lovey80
04-03-2013, 09:39 PM
I completely agree with Marty that if correctly managed almost anything could be eaten. However, when it comes to the Japanese, they don't give two shits about correctly managing anything. They consume over 80% of the worlds Tuna harvest every year. That's just mental.

The issue here for me is however, that Australia has declared part of the southern ocean as Australian territorial waters. These ships hunt whales, which we have deemed protected in "our" waters. Watch what happens to an Indonesian fishing boat, fishing reef fish off N/W W.A. when Operation Relex catches them. Yet these fish are allowed to be fished, just not by Indonesians. Yet here we have the harvest of whales in "Australian Waters" that not even an Aussie is allowed to fish.

I say, the government needs to hurry the international court up to get a decision on this matter. Either way, they should be sending the Navy to board these ships, arrest the crew, drive the ships to SEQ waters and sink them in 40m of water.

Macktheknife
04-03-2013, 10:06 PM
Agree with most of what Lovey80 says.
I don't care if it's whales or toadfish. If Australia has a claim on this area of water, we should be defending it.
We dont have to send warships (Hell, we probably dont have any) but we should have a Navy presence there, peacefully but firmly applying pressure to the Japanese whalers (or anyone else) to depart our declared waters.
Continue the pressure on the international court & lets stop being a plaything/non entity for the self proclaimed global giants.
Whether you agree with the policy or not, at least NZ has the guts to put their money where their mouth is internationally.

deckie
04-03-2013, 10:26 PM
Zero empathy for these types.
Its a left over from a bygone battle. The war was won, but the money is always there to fund their chosen lifestyle...which a bunch of aging radicals have indoctrinated into people.
There's always limp dick green money to "save the whales" even now when they've been saved. If one or two countries take a declining catch each season its just not a bloody issue at all.
Fewer and fewer are taken regardless of the propaganda the career greenies like to preach. Japs eat less every yr and its just horseshit scaremongering that somehow we need to be "vigilant" or any of that shit.
Its a living that relies upon attention seeking to gain funding so they can do it all again...say the word "whale" and the tax deductible funds flow.
Make sure they arnt a deductible donation coz they arnt doing a bloody thing except to self perpetuate.
If the Japs want to take some whales each year so be it or limit it to one or two common species only which as far as i'm aware is how it works now anyway....abuse it and we can address it then.

Bloody pirates alright...very lucky to date the jap whalers havent got serious whilst under attack.

no chicken tonight
05-03-2013, 08:31 AM
Bunch of hypocrites! It's not ok to hunt whale, as they have done for centuries, but it's ok to kill marlin for sport only to dump it in the ocean after its weighed? Would u change ur view if sea shepprd rammed game boats fishing in comps? Sea Shepard are terrorists, and should be blown out of the water(pref when b brown is on board)

honda900
05-03-2013, 02:41 PM
Its an Australian boat defending its territory/country from foreign boats illegally fishing in our waters and your on there side? Real aussie..

If they want to do it in there own territory go for gold, not that i like the idea, its illegal to do it here so rack off.

Ranga,

where do you get that info that sea sheppard is an Australian registered vessel?

In January 2007, the ship was struck from the British Ship Register (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_Register) after a Japanese (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japan) request.[6] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MY_Steve_Irwin#cite_note-theage-6) The ship has been registered in the Netherlands (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netherlands) as of October 8, 2007.

Accourding to this information the British de-registered the ship, Given we are part of the commonwealth I suspect we would not allow that to occur here and appart from that, the captain of the ship is Canadian.

Regards
Honda

honda900
05-03-2013, 02:46 PM
And this is not the act of pirates..

The first direct action undertaken by Sea Shepherd was against Canadian seal hunting (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seal_hunting) in the Gulf of St. Lawrence in March 1979.[15] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_Shepherd_Conservation_Society#cite_note-15)[16] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_Shepherd_Conservation_Society#cite_note-16) Also in 1979, the group made headlines when, for the first time, they rammed a whaling vessel[17] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_Shepherd_Conservation_Society#cite_note-17), the notorious pirate whaling vessel Sierra.[13] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_Shepherd_Conservation_Society#cite_note-Nagtzaam-13) Such acts continued with Sea Shepherd claiming responsibility for damaging or sinking multiple whaling vessels through sabotage or ramming. The group has attempted to intervene against Russian, Spanish, Norwegian, Icelandic, Makah, Faroese, and Japanese whalers in multiple campaigns around the globe.[2] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_Shepherd_Conservation_Society#cite_note-National_Geographic-2)[6] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_Shepherd_Conservation_Society#cite_note-The_New_Yorker_2007-11-05-6) Setting a pattern that the group would keep up in later years, the group managed to scuttle a Portuguese whaling vessel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_Shepherd_Conservation_Society_operations#Spain _and_Portugal-area_whaling_.281979-1980.29), though the first Sea Shepherd was impounded and lost. Watson says that he used the money gained from selling the story rights to fund his next vessel.[6] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_Shepherd_Conservation_Society#cite_note-The_New_Yorker_2007-11-05-6)

Regards
Honda.

Crunchy
05-03-2013, 04:17 PM
To those who have been calling their activities illegal, it looks like that is incorrect and in fact it appears they have a mandate from the UN to act in the manner they do (See below).

Also many of you seem to be confusing Sea Shepherd with PETA, there is some faulty logic in inferring that if they win on the whale issue our own recreational fishing will be under threat next....I don't buy this argument, I can't see anything on Sea Shepherds agenda that would indicate they have the same objectives as say PETA."Environmentalism" covers a broad range of views and activities, some are potentially legitimate (Like this organisation IMO) or totally wacko like PETA, do not to let your rage about extremist green groups cloud your judgment about moderate conservationists that may be working towards a just cause.

I have travelled to Japan at least 20 times, I have been from north to south and east to west, there is very little whale meat marketed for consumption, not because there is a shortage but because there is little demand, in fact I have only ever met one Japanese who indicated that he liked it, it's certainly not a key part of their diet (Unlike tuna) or part of their "culture", they have so much of it in frozen storage(6,000 tonnnes in 2010) they are trying to convince school kids to eat it to get rid of it all...the argument about "National eating habits" is a farce, it’s about pride and bloody mindedness.....not good reasons for entering international whale sanctuary’s and slaughtering them.

One last point, whales are not fish they are mammals, the hunting is not without a significant element of cruelty...the death can be very slow...there are plenty of vid's on YouTube if you’reinterested...

A quote from Wikipedia to put Japan's view of whaling into perspective....given this kind of attitude I think its damn lucky that Sea Shepherd are doing what they are doing.

I am firmly convinced that we shall become one of the greatest whaling nations in the world. The whaling grounds around Korea and Japan offer unlimited possibilities, and should stocks of whales, contrary to expectations, fail in those areas, we have the Sea of Okhotsk and the Berring Sea to the north and we are aware of the great treasure houses to the south. The day will come when we shall hear one morning that whales have been caught in the Arctic and in the evening that whales are being hunted in the Antarctic.[19] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whaling_in_Japan#cite_note-Scully_2002_157-19)
Juro Oka – The father of modern Japanese whaling, 1910

In other words we'll hunt them here, when they run out we will hun them in the north, when they run out....so it's 100 years later...now we'll hunt them the whale sanctury's (And Australian territorial waters)...tell me that these people are not a threat to whale extinction? Remeber they are forever trying to buy votes on the IWC in overturning the current ban on commercial whailing.

International Laws and Charters (Taken from Sea Shepherd website)

Sea Shepherd campaigns are guided by the United Nations World Charter for Nature. Sections 21-24 of the Charter provides authority to individuals to act on behalf of and enforce international conservation laws.
Sea Shepherd cooperates fully with all international law enforcement agencies and its enforcement activities complying with standard practices of law and policing enforcement.
Sea Shepherd adheres to the utilization of non-violent principles in the course of all actions and has taken a standard against violence in the protection of the oceans.
The Sea Shepherd Conservation Society is dedicated to working towards cooperative agreements between nations to protect species and habitats according to SSCS Mandate (http://www.seashepherd.org.au/who-we-are/mandate.html).
Mandate

Sea Shepherd's primary mandate is toassume a law enforcement role as provided by the United Nations World Charter for Nature (http://eelink.net/~asilwildlife/wcn.html).

This charter was adopted by theUnited Nation's General Assembly on November 9, 1982.

Sea Shepherd is guided by the UNWorld Charter for Nature and cites Section 21 under the heading ofImplementations as the Society's authority to act on behalf of international conservation law (http://www.seashepherd.org.au/who-we-are/laws-and-charters.html).

World Charter for Nature:Implementations

21. States and, to the extent theyare able, other public authorities, international organizations, individuals,groups and corporations shall:

(a) Co-operate in the task ofconserving nature through common activities and other relevant actions,including information exchange and consultations

(b) Establish standards for productsand other manufacturing processes that may have adverse effects on nature, aswell as agreed methodologies for assessing these effects

(c) Implement the applicableinternational legal provisions for the conservation of nature and theprotection of the environment

(d) Ensure that activities withintheir jurisdictions or control do not cause damage to the natural systemslocated within other States or in the areas beyond the limits of nationaljurisdiction

(e) Safeguard and conserve nature inareas beyond national jurisdiction

22. Taking fully into account thesovereignty of States over their natural resources, each State shall giveeffect to the provisions of the present Charter through its competent organsand in co-operation with other States.

23. All persons, in accordance withtheir national legislation, shall have the opportunity to participate,individually or with others, in the formulation of decisions of direct concernto their environment, and shall have access to means of redress when theirenvironment has suffered damage or degradation.

24. Each person has a duty to act inaccordance with the provisions of the present Charter, acting individually, inassociation with others or through participation in the political process, eachperson shall strive to ensure that the objectives and requirements of the presentCharter are met.

cobiaman
05-03-2013, 04:32 PM
So crunchy, is it legal to ram other boats?

Is it legal for them to jump onto the japanese boat, and then call up every media outlet to say that they have been kidnapped???

Bunch of cowboys who are probably as bad as PETA, if not worse...

Crunchy
05-03-2013, 04:48 PM
I've said all I'm going to say, would like to attend a M&G one day and not have to worry about lynched by the angry mob!

fin101
05-03-2013, 04:52 PM
I wonder just how many of these whales would be left if it wasn't for those redneck sea shepherd dopes. Sink every whaler you can in my view, then sink that magris with Geen on deck.

honda900
05-03-2013, 04:55 PM
Peta and the whale wars, http://www.peta.org/b/thepetafiles/archive/tags/Sea+Shepherd/default.aspx there is no confusion.
http://www.seashepherd.org.au/news-and-media/2012/11/09/laufen-gegen-leiden-a-marathon-runner-dedicates-his-efforts-to-animal-rights-1463

SSCS Mandate (http://www.seashepherd.org.au/who-we-are/mandate.html). is made up by a bunch of pirates to justify what they are doing, not relevant, not law, not anything..

As for the other BS, keen to see which international law overides the maritme law that says that piracy is an acceptable tactic.

In all I dont agree with the wholesale destruction and pillage of the whales, however we do need to respect the law.

Some nations have had whaling as part of there culture/ history for a very long time. If the international law permits those countries to their Native rights then, that is there soveriegn right.

Sea sheppard and PETA do not have the right to endanger peoples lives -- NO EXCUSE.

Regards
Honda.

Boat Hog
05-03-2013, 05:31 PM
I've said all I'm going to say, would like to attend a M&G one day and not have to worry about lynched by the angry mob!

I'll bring the Rope .................................................. ..... so we can raft up the boats and enjoy a beverage while the sun goes down. :cool4:

Gazza
05-03-2013, 05:56 PM
Sink them(SS).....they're pirates...plain 'n simple
p.s. jail chief pilot in the inards of a SPERM whale for 10yrs. , i'll buy his book in 10yrs....and chuck it in the carbon-fired fireplace....pronto

Moonlighter
05-03-2013, 07:10 PM
Crunchy would be aware of the Japanese psyche, given his many visits there.

"Face" is very important to the Japanese. Its kind of like pride, but it is more than that, it is also about obligation to family, friends, the boss. It is very important to Japanese not to cause other Japanese people in particular to lose "face". And it is even more important that they are not perceived to lose face themselves, individually or as a nation, because someone else forces them to do or not do something.

I think this is the main reason they are continuing with the hunt these days, despite it being unprofitable etc. They do not want to lose face. The more we push them, the more they push back, because to concede to international demands would be an admission that they have been doing something wrong and that would cause a loss of face.

Its not unlike catching AJ's: the heavier gear you use to fish for them and the more drag pressure you put on the buggers, the harder they pull and the more determined they get to put you in the reef. But, play them easy, go gentle, and its surprising how many you can get to the boat on amazingly light gear.

I have a theory that if the rest of the world was just to shut up and stopped demanding the Japanese bow to our wills on this issue, then within a few years their whaling program would quietly be closed down by the Japanese themselves. If it was seen to be a decision they made themselves, for their own reasons, they will save face, and may even gain face in the eyes of their people.

And the more Japanese tourists that visit places like Australia and go whale watching, the quiet pressure within the country will continue to rise.

fin101
05-03-2013, 07:33 PM
Yes losing face is very important to them, so much so it took them up until a few years ago to admit to the babarity they perpetrated on prisoners of war. Perhaps they place a little too much importance regarding losing face that they loose sight of other things .They play dirty pool in the courts and summits and so does the sea shepherd at sea.

netmaker
05-03-2013, 07:59 PM
ramming another boat at sea is irresponsible and dangerous.

honda900
05-03-2013, 08:05 PM

Crunchy,

It is ok to have an opinion.. others have theirs as well, non of which may be correct. No need to be concerned, have an opinion, but consider other views as well.

Regards
Honda.

Captain Seaweed
06-03-2013, 05:36 AM

Nothing to worry about mate, none of what happens here ever comes to a meet and greet. To be honest I probably argue with people on here and then have them as a Deckie in my boat, not remembering the forum crap and even less remembering their Ausfish name.
We all have different opinions some are good some are bad, as long as we all know that what happens on a boat stays on a boat, particularly after a drunken overnighter that its not really that bad is it?!
You shouldn't be personally attacked about any opinion made on here.

Crunchy
06-03-2013, 08:54 AM
Haha good to know....I will still shake your hands and have a beer or 10 with you all even thgouh you're A bunch of whale hating marine sanctury destroying environmental vandals ;)
Kidding....

cobiaman
06-03-2013, 08:55 AM
Yea crunchy, there wont be any lynchings mate...

Make sure you do get to a few m&g's, its certainly a lot of fun!

QuinTin
06-03-2013, 10:14 AM
i want a harpoon on my my boat so i can harpoon crab pot thieves :) oh and make a ram bow too hehehe :)

Lovey80
06-03-2013, 07:44 PM
Some nations have had whaling as part of there culture/ history for a very long time. If the international law permits those countries to their Native rights then, that is there soveriegn right.

I would have no problem with that either. Just like I would have no problem with traditional aboriginal hunting rights. Only problem is, in both cases, neither are done in the traditional manner. I say fine, let the Japanese hunt whales, but they have to do it in sail or row boats and hand thrown spears. Not comercial vessels with gun powder/hydraulic operated harpoons etc.

ozscott
12-03-2013, 10:30 AM
Am I the only one who feels like watching On Stanger Tides....?

Cheers

ThePinkPanther
19-03-2013, 11:24 AM
I suspect the Greenpeace movement is getting frustrated at its mainly lack of progress with the Japanesse

So therefore up the ante by getting somewhat more hostile with their actions against the whalers.

At days end, we shouldn't lose sight of the fact that they are hunting the most prolific of all the whale species i.e. Minke whales whose numbers are huge and are nowhere near extinction or over killing.

Point is that were Greenpeace to fold their tents and walk away, the Japanesse would very soon start butchering other species once they see a green light.

It all falls back to the red haired Witch and her sad little group in Govt who lack the balls to do anything to a major trading partner - and the Jappanesse know that!

It wouldn't surprise me if Santa Claus Bob Carr who has handed out over $53,000,000 in foreign aid over the last few months donated aid to Japan to do scientific research on whales!

Well off subject I know .......... Sorry .......... Just sooooo hard to stay away from Labor Govt bashing these days!

I want my "old Australia" back so badly ..................!

Post edited by ausfish