PDA

View Full Version : BCF I'm over it

kind_cir
28-02-2013, 09:52 AM
Not real happy with BCF Caloundra mainly

Poorly stocked store, no Shimano symeter reel out of stock, and then tried to upsell to the mrs. Poor service and advice when I was looking for a new rod, no number 1 sinkers, no number 12 swivels. Club night was an unorginised mess, overcharged at the checkout. When emailed about feedback from club night, I told them about overcharged, unorginised mess, and still no reply.

Now they have a sale with 30 % off fishing shirts, rapala, owner ,shimano ect. But it's not tee shirts with fishing brand logos, its button up long sleeve shirts only. Just a bit missleading.

So BCF, no more, I'm over it. The 50% of my fishing related money spent at your stores will now not be spent at any BCF store, but will be spent at your competitors. Oh and I spend a bit on 4x4, boating and camping related stuff too, now that's goneski too.

End rant

Still_Dreamin
28-02-2013, 12:19 PM
Must be your local store. Keperra and Virginia have tshirt shorts etc on special. Virginia are also clearing out shimano 4500b baitrunner for $119.

Paul H
28-02-2013, 12:26 PM
Mate, nice rant. Located where we are i have 4 BCF stores (Capalaba, Coorparoo, Cleveland and Cannon Hills) within easy reach, not a great help to you i know, and whilst i haven't experienced any major issues the variance in the quality of service and stock levels in store is hit and miss......

To avoid wasting my time its now a matter of checking the BCF website for who has stock before heading out and i must say to date its been accurate. in regards to the stores i have mentioned Coorparoo and Cannon Hills always seem the most well stocked with Capalaba often struggling to maintain basic stock levels of jig heads etc. Maybe its just that the stores closest to the bay get hit more, anyway if that's the case if the stock is available why not carry more.

The only other variance is the customer service and i think that is both hit and miss and very subjective, one staff member recommends and one doesn't, one staff member uses and one doesn't etc. Whilst a 'newbie' to fishing with any seriousness, this website and its associated forums have proved invaluable before setting foot into BCF.

Good luck with your new store.

Noelm
28-02-2013, 12:47 PM
Kind-Cir....That pretty much sums up my local BCF too, hardly ever go in there now at all, and I drive past the door twice a day, much prefer the smaller local guy.

aus2045
28-02-2013, 02:39 PM
I went into the Rockhampton BCF last week to look at Fish Finders.
The guy there was very helpfull and talked up the Garmin Echo 100 which was just $89.00 on special.
I said "yes, I'll take one thanks". Only to get "I'm sorry we have none left, come back next week".
So I went in Yesterday and they were in stock but at $119.00.
Hmmm, not happy.

Noelm
28-02-2013, 02:50 PM
haha, that's pretty funny.

Lucky_Phill
28-02-2013, 03:12 PM
As people know, I am not a big fan of this store chain.

I did however, lower myself a few months ago and bought from them " online " as i needed an item fairly urgently... like that week.

Their "online " is located at Virginia in Brisbane.

Placed order and as they will NOT deliver to post office box I had to nominate a residental address. Not being home during the day, I nominated an address in VIRGINIA. It was a business address and even filled out the " spoecial instructions " box with " please deliver to reception of ######### pty ltd or Mr ####### ".

Asked mate about delivery a few days later..... nudda !

Asked again the next week.......................... nudda !

Phoned store....... not our problem, left store last week, call courier.

Called courier............... no record...... !

Called again............... yes, driver attended but no one there to receive item ?

Called them back to say no courier turned up at address to drop off item.

Courier company call driver..... Mr Kliese... ( me ) was not there to sign for item...!!

Phill to courier........ did you read " special delivery instructions " ? response..........." HUH " ?

Result, item was taken to business address twice. I was not there, obviously, so no drop off. The " special Instructions " on the package had a delivery note stuck over 1/2 it. My mates name was exposed, but apparently the driver took no notice........ to add to the insult, the driver / courier is the one the business uses on a " DAILY " basis.

My item landed at my house 27 days after ordering. I get stuff from the USA faster. Rang the chain store to provide " feedback "... thanks, but not our problem.

Hence my feelings towards said chain store are not only endorsed, but strengthened.

BTW........ never ask where the rod blanks are.......... you'll get shown rods.... without reels attached !!! OMG !!!!!!

LP

Rodman
28-02-2013, 03:30 PM
Mate I would not ring the store but their Head Office and then things will happen

Paul H
28-02-2013, 03:56 PM
Reading your post it may be Un-Lucky Phil.

cobiaman
28-02-2013, 04:00 PM
Dont you think you should take it up with your courier phill?

honda900
28-02-2013, 04:07 PM
Virginia is the head office of BCF, out the back of Super cheap.

Regards
HOnda.

bennykenny
28-02-2013, 04:21 PM
The only other variance is the customer service and i think that is both hit and miss and very subjective, one staff member recommends and one doesn't, one staff member uses and one doesn't etc. Whilst a 'newbie' to fishing with any seriousness, this website and its associated forums have proved invaluable before setting foot into BCF.
do you really expect the staff to use everything in the store???, and then recommend all the same thing. different people are going to recommend different things, if they have different experiences.
if i put up a post on here saying do you recomend a certain reel, im sure im going to get different recomendations from different people. Do you think they should be all trained to recomend a certain product?? not sure i agree.

Giffo65
28-02-2013, 04:21 PM
Phil
You can't complain about the service,there is none !

Paul H
28-02-2013, 04:47 PM
do you really expect the staff to use everything in the store???, and then recommend all the same thing. different people are going to recommend different things, if they have different experiences.
if i put up a post on here saying do you recomend a certain reel, im sure im going to get different recomendations from different people. Do you think they should be all trained to recomend a certain product?? not sure i agree.

No i don't expect all the staff to have the same opinion or to have tried all the products. I guess the point i was trying to make was that additional information from sites such as this assists in product knowledge before going through the door.

Lucky_Phill
28-02-2013, 04:53 PM
Dont you think you should take it up with your courier phill?

Obviously , I did.

But was providing " feedback " to that store and they were not interested in their product. Once it left the store and as far as I was concerned, it was there responsibility until I had it in my hot little hand. If their transportation program is not up to spec, then it is THEIR problem. Hiring an intellectually challenged courier company is THEIR downfall.

If I get bad service / product, I provide feedback.... but more importantly, if I get good service, that feedback is also forthcoming, asap.

What the business does with my feedback is up to them. What ... I... do about that business is up to me.

Anyway........ another life lesson learnt.

As a side issue and not to hi-jack the thread.

I do business with a company every two months ( once only ) and they provide me with a product. When " redeeming " the product to the ' cart ', it clearly states that it will not be posted to a PO box. OK....... so when I click " redeem " ( fancy word for purchase )... it asks if me details are up to date. I click " edit "... I delete street address and type in my PO Box number and " shave my beard and call me normal ".... the item arrives in my PO Box a couple of days later. Apparently , no one is the wiser or really cares.

toodles

LP

kingcray
28-02-2013, 04:53 PM
bcf at virginia is always very disorganised but the guy who manages the shop is quite helpful and will even match prices for you. its when they do this it really shows how much theyre ripping everybody off ..lol

Boat Hog
28-02-2013, 05:19 PM
I only shop at BCF 'online' where I can choose to have it delivered or pick up from the store. You don't actually have to enter the store that way, just show ID at the checkout and take the items away. Also, you can see if the store has the items in stock if you want to have a look.

Phill, you really should shop instore ..... they might even have spacers for you at the checkout! ;D

wayno60
28-02-2013, 05:26 PM
tonight on 7 or 9 theres a story on super heap and BCF how he turns over 1 billion a year... i think thats what they said in the add.

anyway for most of my boating stuff i go to whitworths.... terminal tackle ill go to them, their nerang shop in 1 k away...

tunaticer
28-02-2013, 05:32 PM
Unfortunately the BCF business model killed off nearly all of the decent small tackle shops that gave us outstanding service and a reasonable price. The only ones that survived had to chain together for purchasing power under one of the coop groups. Now BCF has market dominance there is minimal places left that are the good old type outlet.
I drop into BCF regularly because they are so close to home and I would have to drive nearly three times the distance to the closest smaller operator for a packet of hooks or something......doesn't equate to reasonable cost effectiveness for me. BCF does not tick the boxes for me, their range is lousy, thier prices are less than favorable and the hassles with ordering something at the shop or online is crap.

If Woolies and Coles was to take up fishing tackle and be in direct competition with BCF maybe then they would offer better service and better range, they don't feel the threat of the remaining independents and cooperatives in thier business to change their services.

As a result more and more of us buy online and generally from overseas.......the writing is on the wall for the future of retailing in Australia I think.

Bennno
28-02-2013, 06:03 PM
My local BCF has been out of all the live bait hooks, trebles and most other regular tackle in sizes I need, for most of 2012. Seriously amazing really. I went in there the other day and everything was in stock!! But I was overcharged. Needless to say I don't care much for BCF.

PixieAU
28-02-2013, 06:36 PM
Last few visits to Virginia BCF and they have been very poorly stocked with hooks and sinkers. Hard to believe their head office is almost next door. Their manager (Michael?) is very helpful and so are some of their staff (but unfortunately not all).

PixieAU
28-02-2013, 06:39 PM
But no doubt I'll keep going back because they are conveniently close and have a big range of regular gear.

Funchy
28-02-2013, 06:54 PM
The Caloundra store here has a pretty knowledgable bunch of staff but they are constantly out of stock. I was chatting with the manager and he told me 3 months ago that they had a new ordering system in place and things would improve.... Seems like they haven't... I am off to USA again next week so will stock up again ;)

Floating Rib
28-02-2013, 07:00 PM
Been into the canon hill store for a specific item 3 times(catalogue item) and they havent had stock, tip taken to check online now, generally find them expensive for the whole range of stuff anyway so im a very infrequent visitor.

kind_cir
28-02-2013, 07:45 PM
Seriously not going back to BCF again, online or otherwise. It would take a mighty special to draw me back through the doors, and I'll feel dirty and have to give mysef an uppercut afterwards.

Nup BCF, never again

Unless you give me a BCF gift card all cashed up

Feral
28-02-2013, 07:46 PM
I dont bother with either of the BCF's closest to me, they run out of stock of anything on special by quiting time for me first day of their sales. I reckon they stock 1 of anything they have on special! Cant be bothered even trying anymore.

Apart from which their normal prices are getting to pricey.

bennykenny
28-02-2013, 08:50 PM
a common thread through all of this is that alot of the stores, runout of stock quickly, have none or very little. As the way big companys work is on feed back, you need to complian, if they get enough complaints, things get done, if no one is complianing it stays the same. and not at store level either, ringhead office or email them. you may not get a response but the more they here it the more chance things will get done. do it and make them change for us.
imagine the shock at head office tomorrow morning when they walk in to check the emails to 50 responses saying that they are sick of understocked stores, it will be talked about.

Shark Poker
28-02-2013, 09:34 PM
Shopping at BCF is like eating at McDonalds.
Everybody does it, most do not want to admit it.

It is a supermarket. Any helpful personal service is a bonus.

marto78
28-02-2013, 09:57 PM
Shopping at BCF is like eating at McDonalds.
Everybody does it, most do not want to admit it.

It is a supermarket. Any helpful personal service is a bonus.

At least Maccas dont constantly run out of stock.

shincism1
28-02-2013, 10:02 PM
You've got the process wrong. Go to the reels in the case. The ones that cost in the thousands and stare at them very carefully. At this point. Some idiot who works there will see you and think aha! Sale! When he comes on over. Grab him and ask him where the stuff is you really want. And don't let him go until you have everything. Like most salesman. They aren't interested in the little sales. They want to be able to say they sold the big one!

They can be considerably useless though. Tackle Wold is the go! I had a Bcf voucher but I wanted to buy at tackle world. They gave me a card with a good price on it and said go there with this and they will match it. How good service is that! I went back after getting the reel at Bcf and bought a rod from the tackle world.

bennykenny
01-03-2013, 05:02 AM
You've got the process wrong. Go to the reels in the case. The ones that cost in the thousands and stare at them very carefully. At this point. Some idiot who works there will see you and think aha! Sale! When he comes on over. Grab him and ask him where the stuff is you really want
or you could always ask for help

sent from my crappy Samsung phone using Tapatalk 2

Noelm
01-03-2013, 08:10 AM
where I am, we are blessed for tackle outlets, we have 2 small time family businesses that offer friendly advice, know your name, will usually give a small discount, have most items I need, they also offer rod building and repirs, reel repairs and spare parts. There is a BCF that has bugger all of anything I need, I have more hooks and trolling gear than they have, we have a tackle world, friendly staff who know their stuff, know your name, have almost anything you could ever think of, have a lure/trace rigging station, a line spooling service and so on, there is also a new comer, Ocean Storm, kind of like a BCF crewed by people who want to help and can usually offer some sort of assistance, so from that, can anyone see why I would think of going to BCF? even though I drive past twice a day during the week, not a chance in hell.

stuart29
01-03-2013, 12:53 PM
What an absolute bunch of whingers! Have you guys got nothing better to do?

Is it any wonder we Aussies are branded a bunch of whingers by the rest of the world. I cannot believe the amount of dribble coming out of your mouths. If you don't like it don't go there. Simple. BCF is not a dedicated fishing tackle store, nor is is a dedicated camping store. It has some of both.

You talk of BCF ruining the industry for the small operators, look at supermarkets, look at petrol stations, look at any big retail chain and you will see exactly the same thing happening to the small competition.

I think it's time for some of you to have you bottle, put your dummies back in take a nap.

Noelm
01-03-2013, 01:01 PM
OK, bottle warm, dummy in, bunny rug pulled up tight, ni night!

Boat Hog
01-03-2013, 01:36 PM
I wish Gerry Harvey sold fishing tackle.

Imagine the potential damage .... no depost, no interest and no repayments for 15 months!

Essence
01-03-2013, 04:08 PM
Ooh, better not walk into their Cleveland store, we did once!

Donkeyzmilk
01-03-2013, 05:01 PM
i had a couple of gift cards $50 each for BCF ,I threw in the back of my wallet and forgot about them, few months down the track i dug them out and went to use them at my local BCF (noosa) ...only to be told "sorry but they are expired"

no matter what i said they were not going to honor them , they had no expiry dates on them whatsoever ...

so basically my family shelled out $100 and i got nothing to show for it !

kind_cir
01-03-2013, 06:00 PM
What an absolute bunch of whingers! Have you guys got nothing better to do?

Is it any wonder we Aussies are branded a bunch of whingers by the rest of the world. I cannot believe the amount of dribble coming out of your mouths. If you don't like it don't go there. Simple. BCF is not a dedicated fishing tackle store, nor is is a dedicated camping store. It has some of both.

You talk of BCF ruining the industry for the small operators, look at supermarkets, look at petrol stations, look at any big retail chain and you will see exactly the same thing happening to the small competition.

I think it's time for some of you to have you bottle, put your dummies back in take a nap.

The biggest whingers, are those who whinge about others whinging.

Just saying.

Lol

jtpython
01-03-2013, 06:04 PM
I Love them Hey Boony They have great giveaways at time
Shhhhhhhhhhh Secret LOL
JT

manta man
01-03-2013, 07:20 PM
Oh boys go down to your local Bottle O, buy a carton of Great Northern Beer (Cans Only)
and you can get a $20 voucher with every carton .HOW GOOD IS THAT. No on a more serious note yep once again the Big Boys CRUSHING THE LITTLE BLOKES it does P me off.
Myself i go to Allround Angler Caboolture good bunch of blokes nice range of goodies. Go The Locals F... the Big Boys.

shincism1
01-03-2013, 08:20 PM
or you could always ask for help

You've got to be able to locate the staff to ask for help...

Horse
01-03-2013, 09:53 PM
The service can range from worse than useless to expert. A couple of the best fishos I know have worked there. Prices are generally high but the specials can get me in at times. They do need to watch the stock control on small items like hooks and swivels as they are often out of the basics. You had best get used to them being the major player for quite some time to come as most of the small guys will fall by the wayside. I know what I want and buy a lot of gear online now so the domination of BCF does not worry me too much

bennykenny
01-03-2013, 10:31 PM
You've got to be able to locate the staff to ask for help...

ive always found a staff member at the register, usually always someone there, just my experience though.

Boat Hog
02-03-2013, 09:10 AM
There is one thing that BCF do that they excell at. Their advertising.

I really love the "This is Living" television ads!! They are well done, crack me up sometimes and really make me want to go fishing, boating and camping.

Cheers,

Reformed Whinger

Mrs Ronnie H
02-03-2013, 09:52 PM
Hi
Was given a voucher for Xmas and so off i go to BCF-- specials for Flares as ours had just expired. Great I thought.
Rang first--yep we have plenty in stock. Arrive and ask for Flares--Oh sorry they are out of stock but we have some here that are 3 months old and you can have about 5 bucks off. Yeh right.
this is the second time i have had trouble with them and not having stocked items.

Hey it could be worse. I went to another store up the road as they had sinker moulds on sale. Got to the checkout and the guy asked me what they were used for. HAHA.

Stick to my local - Dan and the boys at outback.

Mrs H

TheRealAndy
03-03-2013, 12:01 AM
Virginia is the head office of BCF, out the back of Super cheap.

Regards
HOnda.

Actually Lawnton is the head office, and its outside the back of Supercheap!! I have done some work there in the past. Was a real hot day and they were handing out ice blocks to the staff, and I scored one as a contractor!

Anyway, I must admit the the Virginia store is almost useless though. Last 3 times I have been there they were out of stock of the item I wanted. I ended up at tentworld at herston and northside marine the last time. The only reason I go there is they are only a couple of minutes from home.

mull dog
03-03-2013, 05:12 AM
I go to BCF to watch TV and hide from the wife

gruntahunta
03-03-2013, 07:14 AM
Well, I have been debating the idea of opening a fish an tackle store at Maroochy because the local small ones are, to be very honest, crap. They open late in the morning and close early in the arvo, don't even stock live worms, one doesn't even have fresh prawns or fresh mullet.
The one thing that has me hesitating is the store this thread is about, so all this negative comment about them is pleasing indeed. They can and do stock a lot of tackle at discount prices making it hard for the individual competing but I have a plan to lure, pardon the pun, fisherman and their wives to the store.

Please keep the honest criticism going.

kind_cir
03-03-2013, 07:15 AM
Wow, four pages and the general thing I keep hearing is that most seem to be unhappy with things being out of stock.

Maybe I should post a link of this thread on their FB page. Maybe then they may do better to satisfy their potential costomers than drive them away, cause they are poorly stocked.

Realy, basics such as size 1 ball sinkers should be in stock, gee they carry 3 different brands. Same goes for size 12 swivels, more than one brand of swivel stocked, and still aint got none.

Maybe if things like this keep happening they will have to change their ads from " This aint livin"

To...... " This aint livin, it's dreaming"

theoldlegend
03-03-2013, 07:27 AM
Went to the Cleveland store yesterday to check out the Daiwa combos advertised.

The rods were there, but no reels.

TOL

ozynorts
03-03-2013, 08:27 AM
This is who owns them. Interesting that they also own another fishing chain and Rays outdoors. At the bottom is their goals as a company.
http://www.superretailgroup.com.au/

bennykenny
03-03-2013, 09:42 AM
FCO is the equalivent of BCF in New Zealand

Stik-ugly
03-03-2013, 10:06 AM
i had a couple of gift cards $50 each for BCF ,I threw in the back of my wallet and forgot about them, few months down the track i dug them out and went to use them at my local BCF (noosa) ...only to be told "sorry but they are expired"

no matter what i said they were not going to honor them , they had no expiry dates on them whatsoever ...

so basically my family shelled out $100 and i got nothing to show for it !

Donkey just check again at your BCF store I had a couple of gift cards that were almost expired and was told by store person from BCF Ipswich that it didn't matter about the expiry as they had to honour them even if they are out of date

Owen
03-03-2013, 10:13 AM
Well, I have been debating the idea of opening a fish an tackle store at Maroochy

Be careful what you wish for Dorothy!

If your business plan is to start work before daylight and finish late you may well get the odd early morning fisho looking for fresh bait, but I'm betting the returns won't pay for the wages.
So you'll end up forfeiting all the good fishing time and sitting in the shop when everyone else is heading out.

Turning a passion into your primary income can be the best or the worst decision you ever make.
As much as people decry the big chains about lack of stock, if you can't match them for convenience , stock and price then you're screwed.
You need a point of difference or specialty that can be relied on as a viable part of your takings.

Mike Delisser
03-03-2013, 11:21 AM
There is one thing that BCF do that they excell at. Their advertising.

I really love the "This is Living" television ads!! They are well done, crack me up sometimes and really make me want to go fishing, boating and camping.

Cheers,

Reformed Whinger

I like the BCF esky add with, "So your's needs ice?" reminds me of one of my fishing mates.

I do business with a company every two months ( once only ) and they provide me with a product. When " redeeming " the product to the ' cart ', it clearly states that it will not be posted to a PO box. OK....... so when I click " redeem " ( fancy word for purchase )... it asks if me details are up to date. I click " edit "... I delete street address and type in my PO Box number and " shave my beard and call me normal ".... the item arrives in my PO Box a couple of days later. Apparently , no one is the wiser or really cares.

toodles

LP

There are some places in the world where by law Viagra is not permitted to be sent to a PO Box. I say good luck to you Phil if you've found a way around that.
Cheers
;)

Mrs Ronnie H
03-03-2013, 08:41 PM
Well, I have been debating the idea of opening a fish an tackle store at Maroochy because the local small ones are, to be very honest, crap. They open late in the morning and close early in the arvo, don't even stock live worms, one doesn't even have fresh prawns or fresh mullet.
The one thing that has me hesitating is the store this thread is about, so all this negative comment about them is pleasing indeed. They can and do stock a lot of tackle at discount prices making it hard for the individual competing but I have a plan to lure, pardon the pun, fisherman and their wives to the store.

Please keep the honest criticism going.

If you do open one can I come work for you.

Mrs H

kind_cir
04-03-2013, 05:12 PM
So I posted up on the BCF facebook page and suprise suprise, not even a reply. Guess they realy don't give a sheit.

Dignity
10-06-2013, 11:45 AM
A bit late in reading this thread but here are a couple of thoughts on the subject. I am currently awaiting a response from SRG re my "all round" running lights which I purchased from BCF as I had a gift card to use up so will be interested to see if they reply,I will give them to the end of this week. Price wise I don't find them competitive e.g. a packet of 20 soft lumo beads $11, packet of 50 from Barra Jacks $10, less then half the price.
The original thread was all about lack of stock in Caloundra which does not appear to have changed as I regularly find they are out of stock of most items I want to do with boating. The staff are generally quite helpful but if there is no stock then it is not of much use. I do use the local stores where possible but like most people do shop around and as usual if it is to do with fishing I am attracted even to go inside BCF even if I buy very little.

Ausfish
10-06-2013, 12:08 PM
The problem seems to be with a lot of larger stores is they go by historic records of sales to restock. So if they only sold 10 last math and the month before that is all they stock. They have no way of knowing that they missed out on sales of 50 a month because they did not have stock. The staff either do not know that customers were wanting more or this information is not passed all the way through the system to get the issue fixed. The larger the company the harder it is to get this info through the system to the right people/computer. Hence why you will find that the little local guy usually has what you want in stock. He will listen and react straight away. Problem is that too many people go to the bigger stores in the hope of saving a few cents and the little guy disappears. We are to blame for the problem, as we are the ones going to the larger stores, instead of ignoring them and staying with the local bloke that has helped us out for the past 20 years.

Be careful for what you wish for, as you now have it.

solemandownunder
10-06-2013, 12:22 PM
Well, for a properly run store & helpful advice, I can't go past BCF @ Loganholme......:)

would'nt shop anymore at Capalaba if u PAID me.....and I LIVE in Capalaba. >:(

Cheers, Ray.

Webby08
10-06-2013, 12:40 PM
Rays/BCF/Supercheap all the same company

I find their stock levels poor on a lot of stuff also. Especially rods and hooks. Spoke to a guy that works at Rays who admits he gives up they keep sending him stuff he knows wont sell and they don't send him anything people are asking for.

I also find their pricing very steep on a lot of gear especially on the more expensive items.
I will always try to use the independents and definitely make use of the internet to price check stuff.

Still_Dreamin
10-06-2013, 07:56 PM
Had enough at BCF Keperra. Asked to speak to manager. Asked him why there werent Zmans motor oil anything and no 1/4 oz no 3 headlox TT.He replied it was eofy and instead of receiving the normal 13 odd wallets they were getting 2-3 mainly of stuff they didn't need. He is hoping the new financial year will seesupply return to normal. Cynical me wonders if SCA is in financial difficulty.

Webby08
10-06-2013, 08:36 PM
At least they haven't replaced everything with their own brand of gear yet.

Back In Black
11-06-2013, 06:18 AM
Went to BCF Noosa on FRiday to get some 80lb Junkai leader. Had heaps of 40lb & 150lb with nothing inbetween. As I walked out, one of the young lads I know asked what I was up to. Told him no 80lb, just 40 & 150, & his reply was start catching bigger fish!

Scalem
11-06-2013, 06:54 AM
No amount of public feedback will ever change things. The lack of stock on shelves is because they "oversold" that item......

Scalem

Peter4
11-06-2013, 08:16 AM
I always take my MO Tackle catalogue to BCF Cleveland. The manager matches their prices - if they have the items in stock...

Dignity
12-06-2013, 09:58 AM
At least they haven't replaced everything with their own brand of gear yet.

not far off it - a lot of the stuff they have is now being imported under the SRG brand. I went o the caloundra store yesterday to get a couple of canopy fittings - none of what I wanted, it is only 2 mins up the road, wasted trip.

Volvo
12-06-2013, 12:29 PM
I find the Gladdy store(Happyrock) not much betteither!!..Used to geood service once upon a time ago but no-one in there seems to give F%&) anymore about sevice or help..So only use the plce in need of something urgent that i cant get elswhere..

lmb123
12-06-2013, 02:29 PM
If you don't mind buying on the web Sneakyfisho.com are the cheapest and will have it to your door in a couple of days it doesn't matter where you live.

MudRiverDan
12-06-2013, 02:50 PM
It's a market thing, How about Daiwa TD sensor @$80.00 for 150 meters of kite string :o
I will stick to the mid range stuff thanks.

Dan

thesav
12-06-2013, 08:57 PM
Hi, late into thread. No probs at Maroochydore BCF for me. Have a BCF store in my shed from what I have bought there. Usually know what I want before I get there so not looking for assistance. Stocks appear to be ok although tailor gear needs to be regularily replenished during winter when the Fraser troups hit the place. Also other great local tackle stores in Maroochydore (eg one near the RSL and Swans) who have good range of gear. Still a problem with obtaining live bait at Maroochydore.

Angryant
12-06-2013, 09:15 PM
Maybe it is time for a "Co-op"of Independants across the state/eastern Australia to combine and force some real competition whilst providing a real point of difference - "quality service" and being price competitive.

Just saying.................

astro66
13-06-2013, 07:45 AM
tackleworld kawana on the sunnycoast.... great service...good prices...

Lantana
19-06-2013, 08:57 AM
So, from what I read here, what people want is a tackle shop where there are staff waiting at the front door to tend to their every beck and call, but with prices which match that which you can get gear for over the web!!!!
What is that well worn line from that movie........."...tell em his dreamin."
From what is have seen of BCF, it is somewhat of a supermarket type model. That is you generally need to serve yourself, but with some staff to assist where needed. When I go there these days this is all I want.
We would all like to see that little corner tackle store continue to exist. Usually the advice there is excellent and they have a reasonable range of stock. They are however not at all perfect either. I have certainly been in some Tackleworld stores which I have only re entered when I knew what I wanted and had to get it there.
I will say though that BCF does need to look at their store stocking levels. Too often things are out of stock, and sale items are either not in stock, or maybe with 1 or 2 only, and these go quickly.
Service is a very individual thing, and goes directly with the attitude of the people who work in the shop, no matter where it might be.

solemandownunder
19-06-2013, 01:02 PM
So, from what I read here, what people want is a tackle shop where there are staff waiting at the front door to tend to their every beck and call, but with prices which match that which you can get gear for over the web!!!!
What is that well worn line from that movie........."...tell em his dreamin."
From what is have seen of BCF, it is somewhat of a supermarket type model. That is you generally need to serve yourself, but with some staff to assist where needed. When I go there these days this is all I want.
We would all like to see that little corner tackle store continue to exist. Usually the advice there is excellent and they have a reasonable range of stock. They are however not at all perfect either. I have certainly been in some Tackleworld stores which I have only re entered when I knew what I wanted and had to get it there.
I will say though that BCF does need to look at their store stocking levels. Too often things are out of stock, and sale items are either not in stock, or maybe with 1 or 2 only, and these go quickly.
Service is a very individual thing, and goes directly with the attitude of the people who work in the shop, no matter where it might be.

Lantana...the REASON/S I disagree with your post are manyfold.....

BUT, the most latent is this - "Service is a very individual thing, and goes directly with the attitude of the people who work in the shop, no matter where it might be."

ummmmm, I thought the "CUSTOMER" paid the workers Wages............

and companies are wondering why they are going broke.....go figure !

AND, if you can't work THAT one out.....then I would give up !

Without going any further on just THIS issue alone, WHEN I get the helpful advice of a QUALIFIED salesperson at ANY store, I will generally buy MORE. 8-)

OUR business not only runs on "Customer Satisfaction"...but ALSO on the principle of giving our clients MORE than they expect ;)

We dont seem to have any problems with OUR clients. :)

Ray & Kerri.

tunaticer
19-06-2013, 07:07 PM
For decades I took my trade to the small private shops around the place that existed before BCF appeared.
I would visit several times a week for a chat and a coffee and place an order for things I wanted. It did not matter this gear was not on the shelf, why should I expect a mum and dad store to predict my future wants and desires and have it sitting on the shelf for me??

A month ago I ordered some items through my local BCF and it took about ten days for the gear to arrive. I picked up the gear and went home only to realise that one of the crucial items was not correct. I took it back and the manager unpacked a brand new complete setup and put the correct gear in my hands and apologised for the mistake.
As for stocks held in the shops, very little is of interest to me.

If they want to satisfy the average occasional fisher Joe and his kids, BCF is the perfect business model. For serious fisho's though it leaves lots to be desired.

The big pity is they are now more numerous than the old mum and dad shops ever were and carry a range that does not suit me. All of those small shops died out from the competition BCF offered, but the quality service the small shops provided was much more valuable than the massive stocks of the big chain to me.

Also of interest is the rest of the shops that come under the SRG banner.......many more than you realise.

I use BCF now only because it is my local store, If I want exotic tackle i drive further or i go online.

Noelm
20-06-2013, 08:25 AM
A kind of funny thing happened to me yesterday at BCF, I go past my local one on my way home, so I thought I would have a look for a rod I am thinking of buying, I entered the store, the guy at he checkout was reading a magazine and appeared to not care if I came in or not, wandered around a bit, without seeing one staff member, made my way to the rod section and started to play around with a Tcurve, one second later a guy was behind me and asked what I wanted, I have no idea where he came from, might have jumped out of an esky for all I know, scared the bejesus out of me! I said, "do you have this model, but in 2 piece?" he looked all dejected and said "nuh" and walked off, I continued to look for the 2 piece version to no avail and simply walked out, I will go to my Tackleworld guy and buy one today.

hainsofast
12-08-2013, 10:35 AM
My local BCF is Ipswich, they are great, once they have been out of stock of a special, so I made them upgrade me and they did, another time the last reel I wanted was display stock, so they gave me 20% off it.

GCfisherman
21-08-2013, 09:32 AM
I don't like BCF either and that brings me to a question for you guys. I live on the Gold Coast now and I am wondering if you guys know of a Tackle shop with friendly staff and a bit of decent gear?

Muddy Toes
21-08-2013, 09:53 AM
I don't like BCF either and that brings me to a question for you guys. I live on the Gold Coast now and I am wondering if you guys know of a Tackle shop with friendly staff and a bit of decent gear?

Gold Coast Fishing Tackle.

sharkymark2
21-08-2013, 11:04 AM
I work next to the latest BCF at Macgregor. I have got to know the staff from the old "Rays Outdoor" shop that closed down. They are very helpful and polite. I was one of the first ones in at the opening and was just talking a bit about fishing to one of the staff and he led me over to the reels to show me some new brands that they had; he then wanted me to pick one up to have a closer look. I am a salesman and recognised what was happening. I backed away from the reels and told him that I already had bought one from the Greenslopes BCF the other day. Staff quality varies so if you get a bad one just suck it up and ask for another one. You are not lazy when out fishing why be lazy when you shop. Not every fisherman is as good as the other but we don't bag them.

Lutjanid2006
27-08-2013, 08:35 AM
I'd like to relate 2 stories re BCF. Firstly i can't deny that I made 2 purchases from BCF (Awning for my challenger and the associated tent). Best 400 i've spent.
But:
1.Mate went for a job interview with BCF and he is seriously into boating, camping and fishing. As far as they were concerned he wasn't clean cut enough. Tatts.
2. I go to PNG (West New Britain) regularly chasing Black Bass and sometimes guiding for my mates guests. Anyway, I was in a BCF store checking out some lures when a young fellow asked if i needed help. Thanks but all good. He asks where i'm fishing and i explained about PNG. His reaction then was to point at a lure and claim that would be a good one. Why I ask. Because it's blue was his reply. True story.
Now i usually go to the Tackle warehouse in Coorparoo.

hooknose
30-08-2013, 04:59 PM
Youngy is good at BCF Labrador but for all round local knowledge and quality service, as Muddy Toes said, Kevvy and Raff at Gold Coast Fishing Tackle !!!

Scottport
30-08-2013, 06:45 PM
Hi guys

Firstly I would like to thank you all for your honest feedback regarding your experiences with BCF good and bad. I work for BCF and apologies if your concerns haven't received an response this really isn't good effort. I will raise this thread with our business.

Noelm
31-08-2013, 01:51 PM
So then Scottport.... There is 6 pages to this thread, not all bad mind you, but wouldn't you think that would be enough for someone at BCF to realize there might be big issue with their stores?

castlemaine
31-08-2013, 02:24 PM
In a Superstore, I don't expect everyone to be an expert on all products but I do expect, "I'll get John, as he has the best knowledge on this particular product".