PDA

View Full Version : Urban Myth or fact?

Paul H
27-02-2013, 05:11 PM
hi, once again today i have been told a story about Raby Bay canals and a strong population of large and elusive mangrove jack in and around pier structures etc.

Is this true and what are the requirements to catch such an elusive and beautiful species?

My only encounter with a mangrove jack to date was in the Muna Point camp ground on Noosa River where a couple of backpackers, rented a small boat and rod and real and landed a fish that must have been at least 65cm (got them into the local paper). Fortunately they did not have the gear to prepare and cook the fish so being a helpful couple we are prepared, cooked and ate the fish with them whilst listing to some great backpacker tails.

Would have to be one of the nicest fish i have ever tasted.

cuzzamundi
27-02-2013, 06:17 PM
Mate, I haven't fished Raby canals, but have fished one group north of Bris that is very similar, and there are some brutes in there. Have personally caught them up to 58, but been connected to bigger, I believe (and hope haha). Absolute ball tearers that leave you with a piece of limp string and a straight rod before you can shout that you're on. So, I'm almost certain there'd be some bruisers in those canals. Fish the tightest, ugliest country in the canal area you can find with a livie, and wait, and wait, wait some more, then hurt 'em hard before they brick you. Expect EC's, flatties, and trevors as by-catch.

Cuzza

Muddy Toes
27-02-2013, 07:49 PM
Myth.................now bugger off and never come back!!!!

MudRiverDan
27-02-2013, 07:57 PM
Plenty of 5 inch bream there if you get bored... maybe that's what the big jacks are feeding on.

Paul H
27-02-2013, 08:46 PM
Myth.................now bugger off and never come back!!!!

Nice.......You missing UHF Channel 7

Muddy Toes
27-02-2013, 08:55 PM
I know it's not too hard but you've managed to confuse me..........::)

Paul H
28-02-2013, 06:35 AM
I know it's not too hard but you've managed to confuse me..........::)

Mate, don't worry about it. Have a good one.

Captain Seaweed
28-02-2013, 07:44 AM
Nice.......You missing UHF Channel 7

Good call Paul, he was missing 7, 16 (and 81 sometimes) but ended up buying a new radio. I told him he had a problem with the earthing in his aerial, he just told me to piss off.

Cheers
Marty

Captain Seaweed
28-02-2013, 07:50 AM
on a serious note I know of good jacks been caught in Coomera river and Currumbin Creek not by me but by my mate. He is a good fisherman and studies the creeks/rivers and eddies within to locate Jacks. He is very successful with his technique, he tells me he fishes livies and ruffs scales up before deploying them among other things, I dont target them as they are too smart for me.

Good Luck
Marty

Paul H
28-02-2013, 07:53 AM
Thanks Marty. Will give it a go.